+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Rented Pan's Labrynth this weekend... really enjoyed it for what it was, but I also had planned on letting my 13yo daughter watch and ended up watching alone after she'd gone to bed. Definitely not for younger audiences, but well worth the watch for adults. I didn't even mind that it was subtitled, and I usually hate that.

Also rented The Holiday and Bruce Almighty. The Holiday was a sweet romantic comedy that I really enjoyed for the bit of fluff it was. I adore Jack Black and Kate Winslet, though, so I was sure to like it. Watched Bruce Almighty because my daughters want to go see Evan Almighty, and I wanted to see the first so I'd be up to speed... I can honestly say I really didn't like it at all and am less than enthusiastic to blow $40 at the theater so we can see the second installation.

^ Just wanted to let you know that Bruce Almighty and Evan Almighty are VERY different, it's not really a sequel. There are only a few references to the 1st movie.

I think that Evan Almighty is much more child-friendly.
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

FORT Fan

Babel- It was alright.
    Zoom- for my kids. They liked it
    and Ghost Rider

Over the weekend, I re-rented "Shaun of the Dead" (having seen it several times on cable, but I wanted to see the dvd extras). Just as funny as ever.

I also watched "Shooter", the new Mark Wahlberg movie. It was pretty decent, if you allow for plot holes you could drive a truck through. Sometimes, you just have to watch a shoot-em-up movie.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2467046;
    I also watched "Shooter", the new Mark Wahlberg movie. It was pretty decent, if you allow for plot holes you could drive a truck through. Sometimes, you just have to watch a shoot-em-up movie.
    We also just rented Shooter, and I also loved it for the quick-action shoot-em-up you talked about, John. It was entertaining and moved along at great clip. I enjoy deeply moving films, but agree that sometimes you just want to be taken for a ride (and I mean that in the best sense ).

For no particular reason, I seem to be on a young-mother-fighting-substance-abuse-problems kick because a few weeks ago we rented Sherry Baby which I loved, starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, who was absolutely superb) in her emotional, gritty performance. This weekend we rented Clean starring Maggie Cheung (hm, maybe I'm actually on a 'Maggie' kick ), who was marvelous. I read a review that described it as "brilliant," but I found it to be somewhat choppy, although the filming was striking. Nick Nolte is also in it, but I thought he appeared almost bored throughout, and feel his part could have been better played by anyone other than him. Maggie was simply amazing, though, and I'll definitely be looking for other films from her.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2466539;
    We saw The Squid and the Whale this weekend and we both loved it - in fact, I'm going to buy both it and Roger Dodger sometime soon (both co-star Jesse Eisenberg - wonderful actor). I was a bit trepidatious about this because I've discovered that I hate domestic drama. I hated The Ice Storm, In the Bedroom, Far From Heaven and We Don't Live Here Anymore, all of which received rave reviews but all of which ultimately bored me silly. And I also deeply dislike the work of Wes Anderson, who is the producer of The Squid and the Whale, but fortunately he didn't leave his pretentious, overstylized fingerprints all over this movie.
    I rented The Squid and the Whale, simply because of the characters having autism/Asperger Syndrome and was so surprised by Josh Hartnet (sp?). His acting was right on and the characteristic was extremely believable. I loved the social skills group, they were also quite true to life and sweet.

I thought it really showed that autism isn't all Rain Man!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I rented Notes on A Scandal and loved it, although it definitely deserveds the R rating. Cate Blanchette and Judi Dench are wonderful in this movie; I don't know what to say about the plot without giving away the best parts of the movie, but I'd say get this one for sure, even if the description on the packaging does sound a bit repulsive. The movie would be even better though, if you skipped reading it at all, and just watch.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2468391;
    I rented The Squid and the Whale, simply because of the characters having autism/Asperger Syndrome and was so surprised by Josh Hartnet (sp?). His acting was right on and the characteristic was extremely believable. I loved the social skills group, they were also quite true to life and sweet.

I thought it really showed that autism isn't all Rain Man!
    Is that Mozart and the Whale? The Squid and the Whale was about a family going through a divorce, and Josh Hartnett was not in it. But your post prompted me to do a search of Josh Hartnett movies, and I found Mozart and the Whale, which is described as a love story about two people who both have Aspergers. Based on your endorsement, I am definitely going to go out and get it. One of my best friend's son has Aspergers, and I have found that when its done really well, fictional accounts of characters with it give all of us who love him REALLY good insight into how he sees the world.

Just watched Music & Lyrics with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore - I loved it! Usually Drew gets on my nerves but I enjoyed her in this and she doesn't sing half bad. I can't help but love Hugh Grant . Although he usually plays the same type of character over and over he just has that "it" factor. The girl who played Cora has an amazing voice (if that was in fact her singing). Whoever did the vocals is very good.

She did sing the songs, her name is Haley Bennett.

Haley Bennett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+ Reply to Thread