+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

elk

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Running with Scissors. Ick. Just ick.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2458374;
    Running with Scissors. Ick. Just ick.
    Really? I enjoyed the novel it's based on. I can see why there might be some icky elements to the movie adaptation, though. The scary part is that it's all true.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I've got NetFlix [Which I ADORE!] and the last movies I have rented from that are

-National Treasure [I've seen it 3 times now, and sill haven't finished it...]
    -Etre et Avoir [Really cute french documentary]
    -Little Miss Sunshine

Currently, I have a bunch of reality shows/comedy tv shows in my Queue. I'm getting Project Runway on Thurs. and I currently have TAM S1 and Scrubs S1.
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2459989;
    Really? I enjoyed the novel it's based on. I can see why there might be some icky elements to the movie adaptation, though. The scary part is that it's all true.
    The movie should have been great, Geek, but it really fell flat. The all-important relationship between Augusten and Natalie was glossed over, and every single member of what should have been a great cast - Alec Baldwin, Gwyneth Paltrow, Evan Rachel Wood - was a total waste. I blame the lousy screenplay. Really disappointing.

Pan's Labyrinth is on our satellite right now - I "previewed" part of it because I thought it was a kids' movie, which it most assuredly is NOT. Parents, be warned, there are very disturbing scenes that are definitely not for little ones. However, the little I saw looks really interesting, and I plan to watch the whole thing as soon as possible. After the kids go to bed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Dead Silence.... Yes I should have known better... but I like the cheap thrill of a scream..even if it is stupid! This movie reminded me a little of Darkness Falls with the history to the town and all that stuff..(I liked Darkness).. But Dead Silence was awful! The only thing I enjoyed was Donnie Walhberg..he cracked me up.

I tried, and failed, to watch 2 movies last night.

the History Boys - it was obvious they were going for the smart comedy/drama line of Dead Poets Society, but it wasn't engaging at ALL. I made it 20 minutes into this.

Black Snake Moan - This one had potential, but it never paid off, and it was just too weird. I made it about 30 minutes into this one.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2460440;
    The movie should have been great, Geek, but it really fell flat. The all-important relationship between Augusten and Natalie was glossed over, and every single member of what should have been a great cast - Alec Baldwin, Gwyneth Paltrow, Evan Rachel Wood - was a total waste. I blame the lousy screenplay. Really disappointing.

Pan's Labyrinth is on our satellite right now - I "previewed" part of it because I thought it was a kids' movie, which it most assuredly is NOT. Parents, be warned, there are very disturbing scenes that are definitely not for little ones. However, the little I saw looks really interesting, and I plan to watch the whole thing as soon as possible. After the kids go to bed.
    I agree about RWS, it wasn't as devious (best word I can think of) as the book. Annette Benning was not giving her best performance. I did see shades of brilliance in the young man that played Augusten, but the rest of the cast...ick. I was prepared for the contraversial nature of the content but not the boredom.

I was looking forward to Pan's Labrynth and the plan was to watch with my 13 year old daughter, but it was not appropriate for her. I thought the movie stunning, but there were many troubling scenes.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

We rented Apocalypto and that was MUCH too intense for the mood I was in. It was everything in movies that makes me sqeamish, down to the creepy little girl.

I thought it was brilliant and I was actually sitting up in bed the last 40 minutes of it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sensitive to gore/kids/and animals. (sometimes all at the same time).
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Over the holiday long weekend, we watched several DVDs. I finally got around to Strangers With Candy and was highly disappointed; the show was so much better. Also on the comedy front, we rented Nacho Libre; I liked it fine--I had low expectations since it was directed by the Napoleon Dynamite director, and it exceeded those low expectations.

On the more dramatic side, I saw Straw Dogs which equally was wonderful in the Peckinpah violence and bad in the Peckinpah misogyny. And, rounding out the odd quartet was The Mother, ever proving that Daniel Craig is dead sexy without a shirt, even if he plays an asshat.

We saw The Squid and the Whale this weekend and we both loved it - in fact, I'm going to buy both it and Roger Dodger sometime soon (both co-star Jesse Eisenberg - wonderful actor). I was a bit trepidatious about this because I've discovered that I hate domestic drama. I hated The Ice Storm, In the Bedroom, Far From Heaven and We Don't Live Here Anymore, all of which received rave reviews but all of which ultimately bored me silly. And I also deeply dislike the work of Wes Anderson, who is the producer of The Squid and the Whale, but fortunately he didn't leave his pretentious, overstylized fingerprints all over this movie.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread