+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Dead Above Ground: I am not even sure how this wound up on my Blcokbuster list, but it is a very bad movie by Stephen J. Cannell who has written some of the best TV ever.

Edges of the Lord: Starring Haley Joel Osment as a Jewish boy who goes to live with a Catholic family to hide from the Nazis. Very disturbing and strange at times, but I am glad I saw it. Not sure if I would recommend it for anyone else though.

Apocalypto - visually stunning, great story, one of those "big" movies you're not likely to forget any time soon. I really enjoyed it.

Deja Vu - There were plot holes you could drive a truck through, and Denzel will star in just about anything these days, but it wasn't awful. Speaking of which...

Alpha Dog - Worst movie I've seen in a long time, and I have a history of renting awful movies. It was just bad, bad, bad.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John;2429714;
    Deja Vu - There were plot holes you could drive a truck through, and Denzel will star in just about anything these days, but it wasn't awful.
    I just rented this one as well. I have to admit ...I liked it. Now, I wouldn't run out and buy it but I was entertained. And I thought Jim Caviezel made a great bad guy!

We just rented The Descent this weekend and it was super-creepy. We love horror movies in our family and this was a good, tense, thriller with just enough horror/gore. After that and The Cave, you will never get me into a cave. Ever.

Glad to hear the good reviews of Apocalypto - we wanted that but they were all out.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I saw Deja Vu last night and agree, it was interesting but not great. I never really understood the bad guy's motivation. It did spark some debate over the logistics of time travel, though.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Infamous. This is the film that covered roughly the same story as last year's Capote. Unfortunately Infamous was second and therefore didn't get the same acclaim. Both films were good, but I actually liked Infamous better; I felt it was more complete. It effectively contrasted Truman Capote's chic social life in New York with his rural Kansas "In Cold Blood" activities and showed how manipulative he was in both worlds. Superb acting by Toby Jones, Sandra Bullock, Daniel Craig (the new James Bond), and many major actors in cameo roles.
    B A L A N C E
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
    and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis
    "what if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie" --e.e. cummings

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Very fun movie, Newman and Redford were brilliant.
    Renee: ďYou can think Iím mean, you can think Iím rude, but thatís my opinion, and Iím going to voice it.Ē

FORT Fan

Last weekend I rented Jet Li's Fearless and Jet Li's Unleashed. Felt in the mood to watch him, I guess. Both films were fabulous.

Fearless is based on a true story. It's one of those where you grow to love the character because they evolve as a person, but ends in a tragic way (for the audience). The story is wonderful, and it's Jet Li's favorite film that he was in ... the extra features are great on this DVD. However, have your tissues ready for the final scene. I'm generally not into martial arts films (yet rented 2 ... hmmm...) but have to say this one was good enough that I am thinking about buying it.

Unleashed, I believe, was also released under the title of Danny the Dog. It was disturbing in parts and at the beginning I thought I was just in for random acts of violence throughout the whole film. However, once Morgan Freeman's character was introduced, my thoughts on the film changed, and I have to admit to getting really into it. The characters were real looking people ... not "pretty" people, and I admired both the casting and the message of the film.

House Season 2 : crafty new medical drama about a team of CSI-minded docs and their hatefully brilliant mentor may prove addictive
    The Pirates of the Caribbean:Black Pearl

Daydream Believers: a movie about the rise and fall of the Monkees. I thought the actors looked alot like the real Monkees and it was nice to hear the music and see some behind the scenes stuff that took place. The best part of the film were the interviews with the original Monkees.

Alpha Dog: parts of this really dragged and I didn't enjoy much of the acting, but the ending was superb, it almost made up for the rest of the movie. I sat through the final 15 minutes with tears rolling down my cheeks.
    Anton Yelchin who plays the boy "kidnapped" was the best part of the whole film. It was worth watching for his portrayal alone.

King's Ransom: This movie was mercifully short. I was disappointed all around by what was a very strong cast stuck in a very stupid movie.

+ Reply to Thread