+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 420 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

We just got our DVD copy of The Bourne Identity over the weekend. I had read the book years ago and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie, too.

TheGreenHornet, I enjoyed "Lovely and Amazing"...somewhat. I have to say, though, I couldn't relate well to the characters. Also, I saw the film at the local arthouse theater without knowing anything about it. And, you know, it gave a fairly poor message about women's behaviors. I recognize that, despite the characters thinking ill of themselves, they were indeed supposed to be lovely, amazing. My boyfriend said the movie reminded him of his sisters and that, although it was realistic, he was disturbed by them. He didn't find the characters or his sisters to be any more lovely after watching the film. They just seemed predominantly angry and compulsive. I would have liked to see some hidden beautiful qualities that would've encouraged appreciation of the characters. What do you think, GreenHornet?

Last night I watched "The Weight of Water." The film offers two subtly connected narratives. The first is the true story (and speculations)about the murder of two women in the late 1800s. The second features two couples on a sailboat in the present-day, and one woman is a photographer researching the murder. Here again, I'm undecided. It's billed as a psychological thriller and features Elizabeth Hurley and Sean Penn. If you like whodunits and puzzles, the movie has some value. I was embarrassed for the film in the first half hour, though. The camerawork and editing were cringe-worthy. If the viewer keeps in mind that the scenes are taken from the perspective of Jean, the protagonist, then it is easier to appreciate the film. All the gratuitous flirting between Sean Penn and Elizabeth Hurley then translate into the jealous visions of the protagonist.

I thought about the film late last night, puzzled through it. It's enjoyable to watch or read two narratives happening in tandem, and consider their connections, the relationship between the respective protagonists. For an example of this in literature, I'd recommend Alice Munro's short story "The Albanian Virgin."

i actually loved serendipity. for me, it's difficult to go wrong with a cusack movie, though that "america's sweethearts" with julia roberts, billy crystal and catherine zeta jones definitely got pretty close to being sucko.

and i enjoyed titanic. i'm a sucker for a sappy love story.

i watched "man in the moon" recently. the jim carrey as andy kaufman flick? wow. andy was even nuttier than i thought and i believe carrey did a great job with the role.

Isn't he adorable!:) LrdOfTheRng22's Avatar
    I love Jim Carrey. Any movie with him in it is hilarious!

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

We were given Formula 51 recently and watched it despite a growing aversion to Sam Jackson.
    My adoration of Robert Carlyle was strong enough to counteract the Jackson thing.

We really enjoyed, mainly because it was set in our home city of Liverpool. There are a few very British references that wouldn't be funny for non-Brits though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Originally posted by LrdOfTheRng22
    I love Jim Carrey. Any movie with him in it is hilarious!
    this jim carrey movie wasn't funny at all. based on the life of "comedian" (if you would call him that) andy kaufman. it was a drama. sad really.

Master of Disguise was SO bad. I went to see in theaters with some friends when we were bored at the mall. Well, we left after like 40 minutes. It was...terrible.

I rented The Pool a few nights ago. It wasn't that great, but it was a little comical in a sense of how stupid it was. It was better than Fear Dot Com though.

this jim carrey movie wasn't funny at all. based on the life of "comedian" (if you would call him that) andy kaufman. it was a drama. sad really.
    What one is that?:

The answer lies about 4 posts up. "Man in the Moon".

lol 4 posts up...duh.im an idiot, sorry about that.

+ Reply to Thread