+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

FORT Fogey
    I rented Trust the Man over the weekend, and I loved it. I wasn't expecting a lot from it, because it was in and out of theaters so quickly, and that's usually not a good sign. But it was very funny with some GREAT one-liners.

I got The Prestige on Demand and LOVED IT!!
    Not too hard on the eyes those two guys either...

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2296337;
    I loved The Prestige and haven't seen The Illusionist yet. Will have to get right on that. Apparently a lot of people don't "get" The Prestige...hmmm. None of my kids had that problem. We rented Borat and John (somebody) Must Die. Hated them both. Ugh.
    Gutmutter how'd ya not love Borat!! (kidding- I loved it though) I know it was not for everyone.
    The Prestige was a good one for discussing that is for sure.......I think I saw John Tucker Must Die by force (my kid) and hated it too.

After reading here I'm looking forward to seeing The Illusionist.

I am pro-diversity and whenever someone (even "just kidding") sends such strong hate messages like the ones in Borat, it makes me cry inside.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey
    Interesting perspective Gutmutter. I actually saw Borat as being a rather strong pro-diversity message. Obviously, it didn't accomplish this through traditional, politically correct methods. But I saw the things he did as using absurdity to illustrate the absurd. As a viewer, you saw just how stupid the hate messages were, brining you around to a stronger support of diversity.

I rented Stranger Than Fiction over the weekend. I'm kind of sorry that I've returned it already, because the more I think about it, the more I just loved it. I was curious enough about it to want to rent it, but didn't have huge expectations when I started watching it. There were some boring parts, but I LOVED the way it was all wrapped up in the end. It showed an entirely new side of Will Ferrel, and I LOVED it!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2308220;
    I rented Stranger Than Fiction over the weekend. I'm kind of sorry that I've returned it already, because the more I think about it, the more I just loved it. I was curious enough about it to want to rent it, but didn't have huge expectations when I started watching it. There were some boring parts, but I LOVED the way it was all wrapped up in the end. It showed an entirely new side of Will Ferrel, and I LOVED it!
    I fell asleep watching it. Could there be anymore Will Ferrel movies (channeling Chandler). I am fed up of seeing his face in every movie.

I watched Employee of the month last Friday. Typical guy wants girl, guy can't get girl, guy gets girl, guy loses girl, guy end up with girl movie. Nothing spectacular, but exactly what I needed to wind down after a long long week.

I bought a boatload of vhs tape movies at the flea market Sunday; one of my newly acquired flicks is Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph Of The Will.

I'd never seen it before excepting clips, and still haven't watched it in its entirety, seeing as it was mostly played out when I inserted it to view.

Its an impressive piece of film on numerous levels, mainly relating for me to interactive projection. Watching the multitude of faces at what arguably seems close to the highwater mark for Nazi Germany, I sat and wondered viewing about just how on board they really were, just what they collectively truly desired and how high a price they'd have been willing to pay had they had an inkling of the cost they and others would shortly bear for seeking to attain the desires of a relatively small group of others.

Part of the commentary printed on the tape's sleeve states:

This film gives a disturbing look into the psychology of a people letting themselves be conned by a perverted togetherness. Its the absolute negation if individuality. It dramatically shows how Hitler gained the awesome, almost hypnotic, power that he had over the German people
    I'll agree up to "disturbing look", but I question that togetherness is necessarily perverted, even as shown, and can't quite accept it as the "absolute negation if individuality". Not ALL of the faces shown looked all that eager or overjoyed by what they were both witnesses and a party to, even if they did represent a minority.

I disagree totally with the notion that the film shows how Hitler gained the power he did over those he communicated to. The film essentially ends with a speech by Hitler, and I found myself wishing there were subtitles so I knew just what it was he appeared so worked up about. Maybe he wasn't worked up, again, its hard to say not following more than a word here or there in what he's saying (or shouting).

At approximately the same early point in the speech when I began wishing for subtitles while still mezmerized wondering what thoughts were running through that face, and that one and that one and that one.... shown, I made the mental blunder of thinking that for all I knew, Hitler could be ranting about his last trip to the market. It was immediately too late too retract the thought before my mind twigged upon the San Francisco bans plastic bags thread in CE and I sat and watched the rest of his delivery while translatingly hearing in my mind his attitude about being asked 'Paper, or plastic' and the fury of being stuck behind someone with 2 dozen items in the 10 item or less line...

I finally watched "The Illusionist" and I did really like it. I enjoyed the story, but it was also just beautifully shot, I thought -- everything all sort of sepia colored and glowing. I want to see "The Prestige" too, but I think it'll be a while before I can get the boyfriend to watch another movie involving Victorian-era magic.

We rented "Children of Men" last night, and I have to say, despite the good reviews it got, I wasn't enamored of it. It wasn't *bad*, it just was very dark, and I felt like a lot of background elements to the story could have been expanded a bit to make me feel more invested, and then I'd have liked it better.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just watched "The Devil Wears Prada" and thought it was just OK.
    Also, I had "The Proposition" which was very interesting, but dark all around--no good guys in this movie, set in 1880's Australia.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I have just rented, "Unknown", "The Prestige", and "The Holiday". All good.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

+ Reply to Thread