+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Just saw Thank You For Smoking. (2006)

Stars: Aaron Eckhart, Adam Brody, Sam Elliot, Katie Holmes, Rob Lowe, Robert H. Macy, Robert Duvall,
    Comedy/Drama
    Attachment 18766
    We really enjoyed it. It had some funny lines and really showed how lobbying works.

Nick Naylor, chief spokesman for Big Tobacco, makes his living defending the rights of smokers and cigarette makers in today's neo-puritanical culture. Confronted by health zealots out to ban tobacco and an opportunistic senator who wants to put poison labels on cigarette packs, Nick goes on a PR offensive, spinning away the dangers of cigarettes on TV talk shows and enlisting a Hollywood super-agent to promote smoking in movies. Nick's newfound notoriety attracts the attention of both tobacco's head honcho and an investigative reporter for an influential Washington daily. Nick says he is just doing what it takes to pay the mortgage, but the increased scrutiny of his son and a very real death threat may force him to think differently.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808723698/details
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-20-2006 at 02:10 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Codebreakers: the West Point scandal in 1950 where 90 cadets were dismissed for Cheating. Excellent movie.
    Pretty Persuasion: Evan Rachel Wood sets up a teacher on sexual harrassment charges. It felt too familiar, but I couldn't think of what movie it reminded me of.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    The last two are, Ghost World and Derailed.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Save the Last Dance 2. Sequel with Sara at Julliard, but a new actress. She was a much better/believable dancer. New man/friends/everything. Movie was OK, I actually liked it better than the original.

FORT Fogey
    This weekend, I rented Talladega Nights and Fight Club.

I love most Will Ferrel movies, but didn't have high hopes for Talladega Nights, because after the most recent movies Ferrel has done, I thought his best (most goofy) stuff was behind him. The movie was hilarius! As with a lot of movies of that kind of humor, it kind of got lost a bit in the middle once the character had been developed and they didn't know what to do with it. But I laughed so hard at most of the movie (the dinner scene was comic gold) that it really didn't matter.

Fight Club I rented because I'd never seen it, and there are enough cultural references to it that I felt like I should. I think that if I'd seen it when it was originally released, I would have hated it. But after having several years of references to it that i could relate to (and having some hints as to what the end was) I enjoyed it a bit more. I can't say it's the kind of movie I'd watch over and over again, but it wasn't a waste of time either. I'll give it high marks for being original.

I went crazy and rented 5 movies! I hope I can see them all before they're due. 2 of them are 5 day rental so I think it's doable. I just hate driving to take them back and I don't rent enough to justify joining a mail-order rental service.

I got: MI 3, Talladega Nights, The Lake House, Little Miss Sunshine, and The Devil Wears Prada.

I better get started!

I watched "Invincible" with Mark Wahlberg last night. (I mean, he was in the movie, not here watching with me. )

It's the story of Vince Papale, a bartender who made it onto the Philadelphia Eagles football team through an open tryout. It's a pretty good movie, a little slow, but one of those "feel-good" movies. The soundtrack was FANTASTIC, a great selection of 70's rock.

I have "The Devil Wears Prada" and the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie to watch in the next few days. Yay for a Blockbuster online free month trial!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I watched "The DaVinci Code" finally. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it was decent compared to the book. "The Devil Wears Prada" was awesome, to me. I loved it. Then again, I don't think you can ever go wrong with Meryl Streep.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Ok, my movie marathon is over. I'm not likely to do that again anytime soon And there isn't a video store nearby so it's a pain to return them.

Anywhoo, here's my armchair critique:

Mission Impossible 3: I'm over Tom Cruise but still wanted to see the movie anyway. It wasn't that bad actually and I enjoyed it in spite of Tom!

The Devil Wears Prada: I love Meryl Streep and she did not disappoint me (after being somewhat disappointed with Prime, but that was more the script and not her). I don't think I could last in the fashion world even an hour.

The Lake House: I thought it was a nice rainy day movie. I didn't expect anything great about it so I wasn't disappointed. The dog reminded me of the one in Three Wishes with Patrick Swayze. Same magical premise - almost.

Talladega Nights: Not sure why it's called Talladega "Nights" because they were day races but maybe it's a racing reference and since I don't follow racing, I don't get it. Maybe one of you can explain . It was cute, had some funny, even hilarious, moments, but not a keeper for me. I also wonder if SNL cast have some pact to always include at least one other SNL member in their movies

Little Miss Sunshine: My favorite of them all. Definitely one I want to buy. It had a Napolean Dynamite flavor (to me anyway) and just all around hilarious. My husband watched with me and even he was rolling at the end when Olive does her routine. 5 stars for sure!

School of Life: David Paymer and Ryan Reynolds play teachers at a middle school who are in a one-way competition for teacher of the year. I saw this in a preview and it looked good. It was one of the best movies i have ever seen, but to warn you it is at least a three-tissue movie.

Kids in America: based on a true story. A small group of kids fight to get their favorite teacher rehired, several students off suspension and to help their principal lose the state superintendent of schools election. Not goog, but ok.

3-Way: Dominic Purcell. Enough said. But seriously, a lot of twists and turn and it was an extremely entertaining movie. Did I mention Dominic Purcell?

I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer: Don't bother.

+ Reply to Thread