+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 420 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MollyRose: I actually liked Death to Smoochy. I know it did very poorly, but perhaps audiences weren't expecting a black comedy from Robin Williams & Danny Devito. I love Edward Norton, and have found nearly all of his performances worthwhile. I think he's quite funny here as an ultra-earnest, eco-do-gooder. If you watch it, let me know what you think.

Phat: I have seen Withnail and I! I saw it many years ago, when I was just a kid, expressly b/c it was a "Handmade Film," George Harrison's movie production company (I was a Beatle-maniac) which also did "Time Bandits" (my other fave childhood movie, by Terry Gilliam). These movies brought together my love of Monty Python & Beatles. I think you're also right about Richard E. Grant--I love him the way I love my coffee: bitter & scalding. Chalk him up to the list of British actors that American audiences don't put to good use. If only they could see him the way we do!

Ah, Shayla: What a witty raconteur you are...your story kills me! Do you remember when Dancer in the Dark was released, what was it 2-3 years ago? I could get no one, NO ONE, to see it with me. I was trying to jackhammer my friend (whom I know for a fact LOVES Catherine Deneuve & Bjork also) into coming with me, and I was needling him so much he just blurted out like a desperate interrogation victim: "I AM ALLERGIC TO LARS VON TRIER!" So I know what it's like to be the oddball out. Please see the Wicker Man, it is quite bizarre, but give it a chance. I would love to discuss it with you, it's really haunted my imagination. I'll also load Breaking the Waves onto my queue, as it's always been one of those movies I've been meaning to see, but has slipped under my radar.

TA, FOLKS!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I want to watch this movie. I want to watch this movie.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

if i have mentioned this before, well... it's worth mentioning again... in order to prevent you all from making the grievous error of renting "hurly burly." if you are compelled to rent this movie b/c sean penn, robin wright penn, meg ryan and kevin spacey are in it, just DON'T. stop yourself. run away. it was just words and words and more words. a wonderful cast in a symantic mess. i fell asleep and dreamed of really verbose arguments. it was awful. step. away. from. hurly. burly.

That's good to know Sher, thanks. I almost bought it just because David Baerwald did the soundtrack. I like David Baerwald, but I'm not going to sit through a torturous movie just to listen to him.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Originally posted by Shayla
    This is exactly what I felt about "Requiem for a Dream," Sher. Granted, so many scenes in RfaD are not age-appropriate. But, had I ever considered experimenting with hard drugs (just to follow through on that whacky notion of trying everything), this film truly squelched that urge. I think, at the time, I wanted to see it because I loved "Pi" so inordinately much (perfect disturbing crazy math geek movie). RfaD falls under that list of movies I was glad I watched but have resolved to never never never see again. It's cringe-worthy. What in the name of all that is holy prompted me to see the "uncut" version?
    Aronofski rocks! Check out Below if you haven't already. He didn't direct it but he did write it. It's another one of those great movies that everyone over-looks for some reason.
    I don't have low self-esteem. I'm an egomaniac who just happens to be stupid and ugly.

That Crazy Red-Head! CopperPenny's Avatar
    We just rented "One Hour Photo" with Robin Williams. It was pretty good. I'd give it an 7.5!

That Crazy Red-Head! CopperPenny's Avatar
    Originally posted by John
    I didn't rent it, but I watched "The Sweetest Thing" last night on a movie channel. What a strange, wierd, odd movie.
    LOL -- I thought the same thing. I didn't care for it myself. After watching it -- I kept thinking -- how strange!

Do you remember when Dancer in the Dark was released, what was it 2-3 years ago? I could get no one, NO ONE, to see it with me. I was trying to jackhammer my friend (whom I know for a fact LOVES Catherine Deneuve & Bjork also) into coming with me, and I was needling him so much he just blurted out like a desperate interrogation victim: "I AM ALLERGIC TO LARS VON TRIER!" So I know what it's like to be the oddball out.
    Snowflake, thank you for the compliments, and, not surprisingly, I can relate to your effort to petition others to see it! Though watching a movie alone is a delicious thing in itself, I did want to see DitD with another person and found a friend who also appreciated Von Trier. She loved this movie. I...enjoyed it, not as much as BtW. Wasn't the first half-hour dizzying? It took time to recover from that shaky camerawork.

I promise to see "The Wicker Man" on Sunday or Monday and would enjoy discussing it and/or "Breaking the Waves" with you.
    Zoltan, thanks for the recommendation of "Below."

This afternoon I saw....*deep breath*...."The Hours." I saw it over 4 hours ago and still feel a bit drunk from it--truly a life-changing experience. I had to teach a class this evening and could barely keep my head from lolling (the "secondary meaning" of loll ) and falling over.

At any rate, this was a beautiful film. It is on the level of "American Beauty" in its meaningfulness. In three days or so I'll be able to talk intelligently about it. Until then, I would highly recommend this film to anyone who has 1) considered death, 2) felt despair, or 3) felt as if they weren't living the life they should be living.

I just saw One Hour Photo and liked it.

Saw Road to Perdition and loved it.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I just watched Fear Dot Com. Wow...what a sucky movie! I was so bored. I coldn't even finish it. Some images were pretty intense, but that's about it. I actually wanted to rent Ringu, the Japanese movie that The Ring is based on, but Blockbuster was out of them!!! I had to waste time on this crappy film.

+ Reply to Thread