+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

FORT Newbie
    Hoodwinked - Very funny. The animation has really vibrant colors.

That was a good one....I took my nephew to see that at the theater when it came out a few months ago.

PWS, Mabyn probably rented the Secrets of the Da Vince Code, which I saw at the rental store.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat View Post
    We rented "A History of Violence". I laughed at the end. Parts of it were good (the fighting and action scenes were cool) but overall it was meh.
    I just watched that one last night. I thought Viggo was great, but...I didn't care for the ending. And his relationship with his son seemed strained, and a little odd. I wish they had shown why he chose to turn his life around, too.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    late joining, but since i'm a movie junkie and i LOVE my netflix, i thought i'd hop into the discussion. a few of my recent rentals are:

the ringer - not as bad as i thought it was going to be .... but not a GREAT movie either.
    the family stone - i absolutely LOVED this movie. rachel mcadams' character cracked me up!! this one has been added to my 'must buy' list.
    hoodwinked - i liked this one a lot more than i thought i would. i found myself laughing quite a bit. awesome writing. another one for my must buy list.
    just like heaven - eh. it was 'ok' but not as good and i expected it to be. i usually like reese too.

i'm watching transamerica now ... watched the first half last night, finishing it tonight. so far, i'm very impressed.

Hey new folk, jump into the discussion any time. I love my Netflix too, BFD! I think they have a great selection, particularly with indie and foreign films.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    All the actors involved were excellent, including the Native American Cowboy and Stanley/Bree's mother, who was a riot (and thankfully not my mother).
    I so agree! I loved the woman who played Bree's mother (Fionnula Flanagan)! She stole all her scenes, which is difficult to do amongst a cast who were all outstanding. Her character is insane, but oddly endearing. Transamerica was, I think, underrated in general. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels Felicity got robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Also rented "Date Movie" and it was every bit as stupid as I anticipated. About to watch 3 Extremes tonight.
    Re: Date Movie, is that stupid-good or just stupid-stupid? I was curious to rent it, but want to know if it's worth it, or just one of things I just might catch on cable some day.

I also had 3 Extremes recommended to me recently. Will you tell me how you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    ETA: Snowy, I keep meaning to rent Serenity. It's the one by Joss Whedon, right? He can't go wrong in my book, so I'm almost positive I'll enjoy it. Thanks for reminding me!
    Yes, it is the Joss Whedon film; however, Geek, I urge you to watch the Firefly series first! It affords you more time to fall in love with the characters and makes the events that happen in Serenity that much more moving.

Anyway, finally saw Memoirs of a Geisha. Very disappointing, and I actually enjoyed the book and love many of the people involved in the making of it. The movie just felt like a bad mish-mosh of all the wrong elements. Please don't get me started on the whole casting/ethnicity issue. Anyway, the women at least look beautiful, but if you'd like to see many of the same cast members in a far superior film, rent 2046 by the wonderful Wong Kar Wai.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

With my man gone for the weekend, I decided to catch up on some romcoms - that's the one genre he adamantly refuses to get into. My impromptu review comes with a funny(ish) story regarding the renting part: I got In Her Shoes and The Family Stone and watched the former and liked it, although I still prefer Jennifer Weiner's novel. I then intended to go straight on to The Family Stone, only the DVD wouldn't play, so I had to bring it back to the video store (which, thank God, is literally a minute away) and ask for another copy. Since there wasn't another copy available, I had to go for something else. "Something else" as in "something my sweetie wouldn't want to see, find out I saw it without him and then mope about it". Watching movies is one of our favourite pastimes, and we usually do have very similar tastes... apart from the romantic comedies, that is. So, I ended up with Rumor Has It and was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it: I thought it was well-acted, funny, and touching. There was, however, a major ew! moment that I think everyone who has watched it will be able to identify, but luckily everything worked out in the end. I adore anything vaguely metafictional, so I really liked the Graduate sub-plot.

About fifteen minutes into watching Rumor Has It, I spotted Shirley MacLaine as Jennifer Aniston's grandmother and just had to laugh at the sheer improbability of me renting two movies starring Shirley MacLaine as the granny on the same night. It goes beyond that, though: when Kevin Costner emerged onscreen, I suddenly remember borrowing The Upside of Anger starring - what do you know? - Kevin Costner just this week. I'm thinking I'll watch that one next and then go either the Joan Allen route or the Rachel McAdams route. Either route would lead me straight to a movie I've been wanting to see for ages, The Notebook, which features both Joan Allen and Rachel McAdams. See? It all fits. I think I just officially turned into a nut-job. Or maybe I just need to start frequenting the "Actor/Movie relationship thread"...

Anyway, freaky ten degrees of Kevin Bacon (name the movie!) element put aside, if you're - like I was - looking for some light Friday night entertainment, both In Her Shoes and Rumor Has It will do the trick.

This raises some questions, though: Does Hollywood need to hire new actors, or do I need to expand my horizons?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Sorry for double-posting, but I'd just like to let y'all know that I'm officially a dimwit. Rachel McAdams isn't in The Upside of Anger at all. She is, however, part of the supporting cast in The Family Stone - the movie I intended to watch but wasn't able to, so I'd end up with The Family Stone after a couple of more movies, if I were to follow the bizarre link I (somewhat whimsically) presented. Still, it made sense at the time.

I really shouldn't attempt to think too hard when I'm sleepy.

I just watched Junebug and although I didn't love the movie,I thought Amy Adams did an unbelievable job as the clueless,but sweet Ashley. (why wasn't there an Oscar nod here???)

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Quote Originally Posted by mrcorkles View Post
    I just watched Junebug and although I didn't love the movie,I thought Amy Adams did an unbelievable job as the clueless,but sweet Ashley. (why wasn't there an Oscar nod here???)
    I think she was nominated, actually. Or do I confuse it with the Golden Globes? In any case, I'll make sure to watch the movie.

+ Reply to Thread