+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Snowflakegirl, I'm watching Transamerica tonight. Glad to know you recommend it.

Last night I watched The Ice Harvest. My husband has been on a string of renting not so good to awful movies. This one fell in the category of not so good. I love John Cusack, but not in this movie.

Other movies I have watched lately:
    - The Family Stone: Loved it
    - The New World (with Collin Farrel): Really really bad. It hasn't been mentionned in this thread, I think. Stay away from it...unless you loved The Thin Red Line (same director). There is no dialogue. The scenes are snippets and jump back and forth. The monologue is like poetry. I fell asleep after 30 minutes and my husband fastforward through the rest of the movie.

Hope you like it, DesertRose. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Anyway, this weekend's theme was "Sci-Fi with a twist":

Serenity - As a big fan of the Firefly series, I was already predisposed to love this film that was made against all odds by a cast and crew that was just as devoted to this quirky alternate universe as its rabid fans. This blend of futuristic sci-fi and old-school westerns was, however, also a hit with the uninitiated who watched with us. I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of sci-fi who is looking for something refreshing and original (although I would actually suggest you watch Firefly series first to fully appreciate the characters).

CQ - This debut film from Roman Coppola got very limited art house distribution, and disappeared quickly from what few theaters it screened in--I have no idea why, because I loved CQ! This is very much a "valentine" (there is even a character named such) to fans of 60s cinema; the cinematography, which often uses the actual equipment of the time period it portrays, is as spot on as it is pure fun. This is a movie about a movie (actually two movies)--a young, American film maker in 1960s Paris is hired to work as an editor on "Codename: Dragonfly" (a brilliant mix of Barbarella and Danger: Diabolik) a cheesy sci-fi flick set far in the future (far off 2001!) while he simultaneously works on a personal art film of his own using borrowed equipment. Jeremy Davies, Jason Schwartzman, Dean Stockwell, Gerard Depardieu and Billy Zane all make memorable appearances. I honestly found this a lot more enjoyable than either of his sister's films--even Lost in Translation. Also, I must have this soundtrack!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Hope you like it, DesertRose. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it.
    I really liked it Snowflake. I watched it last night sans husband (he was out) and wished I had someone to discuss it with. I haven't seen Reese's performance, but I too think Felicity was robbed. Her acting was very subtle, not over the top, but she was able to carry a scene very well. I loved her interaction with her son, acting as a mother while trying to deny her fatherhood. All the actors involved were excellent, including the Native American Cowboy and Stanley/Bree's mother, who was a riot (and thankfully not my mother).

I rented "Walk the Line" the other day. It was.... not good. I can't understand for the life of me why Reese Witherspoon got the Oscar for it. It just wasn't interesting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I rented "Walk the Line" the other day. It was.... not good. I can't understand for the life of me why Reese Witherspoon got the Oscar for it. It just wasn't interesting at all.
    Really? You're the first person I've heard about who didn't like it. Was there anything in particular that made you dislike it, or did you just feel that it wasn't all that interesting? I may be biased since I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan and love both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, but to me, Walk the Line has yet to be surpassed as the best movie I've seen all year in theatres so far. I watched it again on DVD last weekend and was even more moved the second time.

Speaking of Reese Witherspoon: I was in the mood for something light and fluffy (think the cinematic equivalent of a big strawberry sundae... not an ounce of nourishment, but it fills the spot ), so I picked up Just Like Heaven last night. I'm a sucker for romcoms and always end up crying my eyes out, no matter how cheesy the plot might be. This was no exception. Embarrassingly enough, my nine-year-old relative who watched it with me (and was hesitant to rent it in the first place, since she prefers scary movies she shouldn't be watching in the first place) laughed at me when I started to tear up. She didn't see the appeal at all. There's something about me and Reese Witherspoon movies... :hmm

Also, my boyfriend and I rented Match Point last weekend. I've been wanting to see this one for a long time, and I wasn't disappointed. It's a taut, sophisticated and well-acted movie that takes its time unraveling its intricate plot lines until it escalates into a Talented Mr Ripley-esque thriller. There's nothing remotely Woody Allen-esque about it, though - at least not on first glance. It also features two of the arguably prettiest people in the world, Scarlett Johansson and - excuse me while I go ahead and drool all over the keyboard - Jonathan Rhys Meyers. They're both so ridiculously good looking that they almost repel each other.

I know I've rented something else since I last posted here, but I can't for the life of me remember which movie it was right now. I'll report back later.

ETA: Snowy, I keep meaning to rent Serenity. It's the one by Joss Whedon, right? He can't go wrong in my book, so I'm almost positive I'll enjoy it. Thanks for reminding me!
    Last edited by geek the girl; 06-05-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Kao
    Rented "Mirrormask" and it was absolutely gorgeous fantasy at its best.

Also rented "Date Movie" and it was every bit as stupid as I anticipated. About to watch 3 Extremes tonight.

We rented "A History of Violence". I laughed at the end. Parts of it were good (the fighting and action scenes were cool) but overall it was meh.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I really liked it Snowflake. I watched it last night sans husband (he was out) and wished I had someone to discuss it with. I haven't seen Reese's performance, but I too think Felicity was robbed. Her acting was very subtle, not over the top, but she was able to carry a scene very well. I loved her interaction with her son, acting as a mother while trying to deny her fatherhood. All the actors involved were excellent, including the Native American Cowboy and Stanley/Bree's mother, who was a riot (and thankfully not my mother).
    Me three, on the Felicity was robbed line. Not that Reese was bad, but as was said, more of a supporting actress performance. Transamerica was great overall, even the teen was great, but Felicity was really great.

FORT Newbie
    hi everyone!!!! this is my first time to join in a forum discussion.... i was supposed to post my greeting message to general discussion room unfortunately, i wasnt able to post my message... sorry guys.... but since i was eager to mingle to the discussion regarding movies, so i decided to post my first message here....

by the way, talking about the last movies i have rented, mine were x-men, da vinci and the break up.... wow! i liked those movies i watched.... i really enjoyed watching it....

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    to FORT, mabyn! Where do you live that you can already rent The Da Vinci Code? It's barely in the theaters here, ditto X-Men 3 if that's the X-Men you meant, and Break Up.

+ Reply to Thread