+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

I watched "The Constant Gardner" last night after having read the book, and while I liked the book and thought it was a good, interesting thriller, I loved the movie. Ralph Fiennes is Justin Quayle, a British diplomat stationed in Nairobi, a shy, diffident, good hearted man. When his young wife Tessa, portrayed by Rachel Weisz, is found brutally murdered in a remote lake in Kenya, Quayle embarks on a journey to find out his wife's killers. The movie is directed by brasilian director Fernando Meirelles (City of God).

I originally wanted to see this movie because of the subject matter (I'm very interested in Africa and Thirld World country issues) and because I heard that it had been nominated for several awards, and while I can see why Rachel Weisz won an Oscar for this film, it's Ralph Fiennes performance that made this movie memorable for me. In the end, the movie became not so much about the plight of Africa or the way Big Business takes advantage of poverty and misery, but about the journey of a man who feels he let down his wife and sets out to finish the work she began. So for me the movie is more a beautiful, sad love story than a political thriller.

Watched Fun with Dick and Jane last night. That was a pretty cute movie.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I watched a very sweet documentary yesterday: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. It tells the story of a flock of red eyed conures in the trendy Telegraph Hill neighborhood of San Francisco and of a man who befriended the flock. It's funny and touching and sad in some places, and this guy is really an interesting person. Having 6 lovebirds currently fluttering around my head, the documentary had obvious attractions to me, but I would say it's not only for bird lovers, since at it's very heart, I think, it's a tale of humans and the connections they can make with other living beings, tolerance and courage.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    We just watched Crash--wanted to see if it deserved to beat out Brokeback Mtn. for the Oscar. It was very good we thought, but still thought Brokeback was the better picture. Loved
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the "angel" who saved her daddy--and his "killer"-- with her invisible cloak.
    Very interesting all the twists and turns (like watching flashbacks on LOST!), and the views of race in the US.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    From talking to friends, a lot of guys did not like that movie. Didn't hear any comments from women. Guys usually really get into military movies, so I thought that was strange. My son said not to waste my money.
    I am a HUGE fan of military/war movies and this one I HATED. Full Metal Jacket I thought was my least favorite, but Jarhead bumped it out of most hated military movie.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Why?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I watched "Beauty Shop" with Queen Latifah last night and I thought it was a pretty good movie. Queen is someone very "relatable" and someone I'd like to have for a friend. And heavens to Betsy, Rudy Huxtable sure has grown up! ....Nice movie to sit back and not have to think too much about it.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Last week I rented:
    Mrs. Henderson Presents - I thought it would be funnier, I hate it when movie trailers show a movie to be a comedy and then about half way through it turns all drama. It was good but not what I was expecting.
    Tristan and Isolde We know the basic story - Romeo and Juliet. I don't know why I can't pass up these period pieces. A few weeks ago I rented Pride and Prejudice with Kyra Sedgewick.. I don't know why? I know the story like the back of my hand and IMO the A&E adaptation was done much better. Still, I have to see them all. If you are like me, you will Love Tristan and Isolde.
    Casanova I liked it. It was fun and cute all the way through.

Last month I rented Prime and Proof and Memoirs of a Geisha - I liked all of them.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD
    We rented Fun with Dick and Jane last night. Ok, movie, but the best part of the movie is when the credits first start to roll and they thank
    Ken Lay of Enron and a whole other bunch of people at Worldcom, Tyco, Enron, Arthur Anderson, etc. To me that was the most hilarious part of the entire movie.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie
    The Weather Man

Surprisingly very good.

+ Reply to Thread