+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 420 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

I really liked "The Score", personally. Thought it was well-done.

Be careful dissing Jerry B around Bravo, she'll go ducky on ya.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Oceans Eleven, but I'd seen the original and it was much better for that type of film.

Phat, we missed ya the last couple of days!

Originally posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I just wanted to mention a film I rented recently that really blew me away called "The Wicker Man". It is a British film from the early 70s that is little-heard of (at least in the States) but has cult following...
    That being said, it is truly a quirky bit of work--I don't know if it's for everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone on here's even heard of it!
    If you get into a mood for English cinema, give Withnail and I a try: it is to English men of Generation X what Happy Gilmore is to American Gen-X men.

Englishmen find W&I infinitely quotable and eternally watchable. Be warned: The humor is very English, so if you don't enjoy the thought of two "working-class" lads strolling into a wine bar and making fools of the local gentry, then avoid this film.

Otherwise, anyone who likes English cinema ought to give W&I a test drive. Bonus: Witness Richard E. Grant in the role that basically made him. Grant is so on the mark in this film, it's scary--his sarcasm is so biting it could chew through leather, and his wit so razor-sharp it could shave a bedouin. (Unfortunately, American audiences may know Grant best from his role in Spiceworld.) Grant's Hamlet soliloquy near the end is perhaps one of the finest Hamlet deliveries. Ever. And it's thrown in as a postscript, such is Grant's talent.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Originally posted by John

Phat, we missed ya the last couple of days!
    Thanks, John. That means a lot to me!

The reason for my lack of participation is simple: I was asked to step-on-it vis-a-vis my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) exams.

(For all you "civilians" , the MCSE is like the Jedi trials or process to become a Shaolin monk for us computer geeks. )

I had two in the bag, but I had five more to do--and was told to be done at the end of March. That was five tests, five weeks. It was one heck of a birthday, I'll tell you that much, which is why I appreciated the birthday messages here even more than usual.

After I had my nervous breakdown, I got better, and have knocked out two tests in as many weeks. Three more to go, and I'm actually starting to think I may be able to pull this off.

FoRT is my way of relaxing, and getting away from all that.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

LG.
    glad to see you back, phat, you were missed. Good luck on your exams, jedi knight.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Surprisingly I'm really only obsessed with Jerry Bruckheimer and his genuis with production of television shows.

But good thing John's watching out for me!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Re: Bad Company

Originally posted by phat32
    From the "Should Have Known Better" Dept.:

Acquired Bad Company
    At first, I thought you meant "Bad Influence," which is a very good movie. My mistake.

Glad to have you back, phat. Good job on those tests, young Padawan.

And thanks for the recommendation of W&I. I'll put that on my list. Don't expect feedback this year, though.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Hi-

Vénus Beauté Institut sucked big time. I was sorry to have watched it. I liked Amélie, I own a Québeçois copy of that film, because the American version only has English subtitles. The Québeçois copy has "French for the Deaf and HOH" subtitles.

Snowflake - I also am a member of Netflix which is really great because you can get all the obscure films on DVD that you cannot find at local rental shops. Sometimes if you watch a movie on the telly, it has no subtitles or captions, so you check DVDs on Netflix to see if they are subtitled at least. I also rent from local Blockbuster 'cos one of my friends work there.

I haven't rent anything yet. There is so many I want to catch up with!

I'm floored from the amount of great movie advice in this thread. Snowflake and phat, I'll check out "The Wicker Man" and "Withnail and I" and let you know what I think. For the most part, I enjoy but am not up on British film. Two films I appreciated, though, were "The Limey" and "The Full Monty."

One of my favorite movies is "Breaking the Waves." It's not classified as a UK film, I think, although it's set in Ireland. Lars Von Trier directs. Emily Watson stars as the devoted wife of Stellan Skarsgard. He becomes nearly fatally injured in an oil rig accident, and she agrees (at his behest) to have sex with other men, since he will no longer be able to fulfill her sexually.

This movie is beautiful and I am nearly obsessed with it. Von Trier has a thing for psychologically studying particular characters. And, I know that many viewers find his approach banal: we see the classic psychoanalyst-interviews-protagonist scene. The psychoanalyst plays an important secondary role. However, for those of you familiar with Greek tragedy, I think you'll witness mythical layers at play in this film.

I hesitate to mention this movie, though. And here is why:
    When I was a little academic tyke (okay, this was only 2 years ago), I took a series of screenwriting courses. A few students took the same courses with me. After 3 terms our cohort had a strong understanding of each others' work and would meet regularly for critiques. One particularly beautiful day we lounged outside the campus library on the grass. I made a particularly brilliant and witty and insightful and all-around ingenius comment to another student. (Have I mentioned that an angel dropped from heaven and, like Caedmon's angel, torched my tongue and set it alight?)

Somewhere in the comment, and perhaps for the zillionth time that year, I mentioned "Breaking the Waves."

Another student sighed deeply and said, "You know, I really hate that movie." The entire class, not unlike marbles rolling down a table, spun their eyeballs in unison. :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes They were awash in relief: "I am SO GLAD SOMEONE FINALLY SAID THAT." I think they were waiting for a year to finally tell me how much they hated that movie. Why didn't anyone speak up until then? Who knows? All I have to say is that, out of the entire freakin' class, I was the only one who actually liked the movie. Plus, I was obsessed with it.

Of course, I leapt at the opportunity to offer a snappy comeback, which was: "I HATE ALL YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES, TOO!"

Anyway, watch at your discretion. Feel free to hate this movie, so I can offer you many convincing nah-uhs and go-suck-eggses

Pithy response, Shayla!

I've heard of that movie. It sounds intriguing. *mysterious raised eyebrow*
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Paulie, you want to watch this movie. You want to watch this movie.

+ Reply to Thread