+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

I'm so glad to see other costume drama/Cillian Murphy admirers in here! (Yes, Geek, you will love to see him in his starched collars and tux'n'tails--it's worth it just to see him dance at a social ball--nice change of pace from fending off viral zombies or men in batsuits). Just a tip, if you are planning on renting The Way We Live Now, make sure you get both discs at the same time. It'll drive you batty waiting to see how the mini-series concludes if you don't.

Well, I finally watched Wolf Creek last night, and I found it neither thrilling nor particularly scary. I heard quite a bit about how graphic and cruel it was and, being a long time horror fan, I was looking forward to being shocked and frightened. I was cuddled up on the couch with the lights off and under a blanket, even! But the movie was just not as good as I expected. I much prefer the similar High Tension, which has stronger performances, a true sense of dread and, yes, tension that they sustain throughout most of the film. Both films are flawed though: I love everthing about High Tension until the very end, and with Wolf Creek, the only thing I like is the very end. My favorite scene:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Head on a Stick
    . Also, I must say I found the villain to be more laughable than frightening; he's Crocodile Dundee with a sadistic streak.

AJane and Rattus also brought up good points about the whole "based on a true story thing." I think this term is tossed about far too liberally. I understand there is artistic license to be taken, but shouldn't there be some amount of actual truth required to be able to boast such a thing? Let's say, hey, at least 40%. You know, like how hot dogs are supposed to be at least some portion real meat and not just sawdust and cockroach legs.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Shaun of the Dead: I watched it this afternoon. Funny and not too gruesome, at least not until near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Gal View Post
    I belong to Netflix and I finally got around to watching "Ocean's Twelve" and it was awful! I didn't even finish watching it and that's pretty bad. The first one was so good, so I was disappointed. "Crash" is being sent next so I'll let you know what I think.
    I feel EXACTLY the same as you do about Ocean's 12. I gave up watching it too!
    I LOVED Ocean's 11
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I saw Geisha and In her shoes and loved both. The scenery in Geisha is amazing, but I kept on trying to remember how the story went when I read it a few years back. I guess I have to re-read the book again. I really enjoyed In her shoes. Shirley McLaine really steals the show, as does the little old lady. They prove that you don't have to overact to get your point across.

MRD
    Jarhead. I watched it with hubby who was Army and made derogetory comments during the whole movie. But I have to say, there was nothing remotely good about this movie. It had no real point, was just another military/war film and just plain weird.

Think it was trying to go for Apocalypse NOw of the first Gulf War and was just blah.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

DesertRose, I loved in Her Shoes. It was such a simple story but it was carried out beautifully.
    My last movie rented was The Cave. It was pretty decent. The story was a bit weak but the eye candy, action and monsters made up for it. All in all, it was worth watching once.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Jarhead. I watched it with hubby who was Army and made derogetory comments during the whole movie. But I have to say, there was nothing remotely good about this movie. It had no real point, was just another military/war film and just plain weird.

Think it was trying to go for Apocalypse NOw of the first Gulf War and was just blah.
    From talking to friends, a lot of guys did not like that movie. Didn't hear any comments from women. Guys usually really get into military movies, so I thought that was strange. My son said not to waste my money.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    From talking to friends, a lot of guys did not like that movie. Didn't hear any comments from women. Guys usually really get into military movies, so I thought that was strange. My son said not to waste my money.
    Oh, that's easy. Not enough shootin' and killin', and too much yappin'. At least that's what my husband said.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Twenty Nine Palms

All I can say is OY. Very disturbing.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo View Post
    Shaun of the Dead: I watched it this afternoon. Funny and not too gruesome, at least not until near the end.
    I really liked Shaun of the Dead. Especially the backyard scene.

+ Reply to Thread