+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Has anyone seen "The Ice Harvest" with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton?

I want to add this to the Netflix queue, but want to know if it's worth it.
    Nope, haven't seen it, but I'll watch anything starring John Cusack or Billy Bob Thornton. Thanks for telling us about the movie, and sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I belong to Netflix and I finally got around to watching "Ocean's Twelve" and it was awful! I didn't even finish watching it and that's pretty bad. The first one was so good, so I was disappointed. "Crash" is being sent next so I'll let you know what I think.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I know we all have actors that, no matter what they are in, we will go to see it and usually really like it. Nick Cage is one of those actors for me! I think he is phenomenal!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Has anyone seen "The Ice Harvest" with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton?

I want to add this to the Netflix queue, but want to know if it's worth it.
    I saw it, John. It's hard to predict who will and will not like this movie without knowing the person and their film likes and dislikes.

It's a very dark film and very violent, but it also has some very funny moments. I was not surprised by the things that were intended to surprise me. I found it not great, but more enjoyable that I usually find films that are this violent.

Most of the performances were very good. If you like quirky, you may like this one.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I saw it, John. It's hard to predict who will and will not like this movie without knowing the person and their film likes and dislikes.

It's a very dark film and very violent, but it also has some very funny moments. I found it not great, but more enjoyable that I usually find films that are this violent.

Most of the performances were very good. If you like quirky, you may like this one.
    Coincidentally I just rented this movie last weekend, and I agree with Florimel. My husband didn't like it much, but I thought it was a funny, dark movie (I adore John Cusack, though, so I could have been overly swayed. ) I get tired of the same-old predictable fare, and enjoyed this unusual movie.

We also rented Missing In America with Danny Glover, and since many of my friends were Viet Nam vets, I found it particularly poignant. Danny Glover gives an understated, beautiful performance, as does Linda Hamilton. The movie is thought-provoking and stayed in our heads for weeks afterward. I highly recommend it, but it's definitely not for everyone. If you do see it, have plenty of tissues handy. The little girl, Zoe Weizenbaum (who is also in Memoirs of a Geisha), is fabulous, and I look forward to seeing her in future productions. The scenery is gorgeous, too.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Finally saw "Brokeback Mountain". I liked it but the ending was .
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I borrowed "Just Friends" from the library. I thought it was good.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Finally saw "Brokeback Mountain". I liked it but the ending was .
    Part of what makes it so good of course... not the same movie if they moved to San Francisco and lived happily ever after in the Castro! But no way could they, even Jake, think of that radical a change in their lives.

I finally saw Brokeback Mountain too. I liked it but found the short story more emotional and compelling. Now, this is a stupid question, and I'll post it in spoiler tags just in case -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Now, in the story, it seemed obvious that Jack died the way his wife said he did - but in the movie, it appeared that he was beaten to death, similar to what happened to Ennis' childhood neighbour. So now I'm confused. Did he die in an accident or was it gay-bashing?
    ?

Also saw Wolf Creek - starts slow but is actually a decent thriller. If you have trouble with heavy Brit and/or Aussie accents turn on the subtitles. That reminds me, I must go google it...apparently it was based on a true story.
    Last edited by AJane; 04-17-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    A Jane- I didn't get that from the story. I think though that the movie left it open but felt like both leaned towards the latter to heighten the sense of them being star crossed.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

+ Reply to Thread