+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Capote--very good
    Good Night and Good Luck-pretty good
    NBT:Never Been Thawed- Netflix exclusive, lucky to have seen this in theatres- like a new version of "This is Spinal Tap" must rent/own if you like Indie, sarcastic, rockumentaries and funny movies.
    Waiting- I am a Ryan Reynolds fan but this one just plain stunk.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    AJane, from what I understand they were neighbours for a couple of years when they were kids, growing up in the South. The character of Dill, Scout's friend who stays in Maycomb over the summer, is supposedly based on Truman Capote.

Capote is definitely on my "to watch" list, so I'm glad to see all the favourable reviews here. My parents saw it the other night and loved it. In fact, my father, who is usually on a strict "all crime" literary diet, went to the first book store he could find and picked up both In Cold Blood and Breakfast at Tiffany's, so he must have been really impressed. I intend to get my hands on them as soon as possible, because I've always wanted to read something by Truman Capote. Is it a good idea to familiarize yourself with his work before you see the movie?
    Well, I've never read In Cold Blood - I'm still wondering how I never got around to it. I've reserved it at the library, though. And I have seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, though never read it.

I don't think you need to read anything to prep you for this movie. If you're not at all familiar with the backstory of In Cold Blood, you can get basically all you need by reading the synopsis on the back of the DVD case. I had a vague notion that Capote was one of those witty society-type players, so that part didn't surprise me. What did throw me was that he was such a ruthless little bastard when it came to his work - very much at odds with his party persona.

Since you also have those tendencies, geek, I think you'll really enjoy the movie. It is slow moving, though, and not for everyone (my hubby fell asleep). And, of course, Hoffman does a marvelous job as Capote.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Baby Face (1933 dir. Alfred E. Green)

I loved this film. Baby Face was the perfect excample of Pre-code naughtiness. I thought this was the classic ever put on film on how women manipulated men with sex for job advancement with the goal of money and the men produce it even when it ruins their lives in the process. This is such a gritty, sensual and honest film, going from bed to bed. I must say Barbara Stanywck rules the house!

North Country Miss Filangi, I agree on this one. I wasn't really expecting to like it much, but the performances were excellent and the story was told well. Frances McDormand is always wonderful.

Derailed Just so-so for me. Clive Owen was indeed excellent. However, I saw the twist coming almost from the beginning. I was not at all surprised when it was revealed.

Sphere, I can't believe there is a Stanwyck movie I haven't seen, but Baby Face is one I've missed. I will put it in my queue. Barbara Stanwyck and Susan Hayward -- those were actresses.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Weatherman with Nicholas Cage....DO.NOT.RENT.THIS.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Weatherman with Nicholas Cage....DO.NOT.RENT.THIS.
    Really? Aw, but I have a Nic Cage fetisch: I have to watch everything he's in, regardless of the quality. (I have the same thing going with John Cusack, although since he always chooses great parts, I have yet to be disappointed.)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Really? Aw, but I have a Nic Cage fetisch: I have to watch everything he's in, regardless of the quality. (I have the same thing going with John Cusack, although since he always chooses great parts, I have yet to be disappointed.)
    Yeah, I love Nic too but sheesh....this was beyond bad to me.......even with Michael Caine in it-it was beyond bad!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Yeah, I love Nic too but sheesh....this was beyond bad to me.......even with Michael Caine in it-it was beyond bad!
    I had to stop it mid-way because I just could not take it anymore. But I am not a Nicholas Cage fan, so it might have clouded my judgement.

I just watched Derailed with Jennifer Aniston and Clive Owen. It says on the packagaing that this film was released last year to theatres,but I don't remember it at all. I didn't think it was horrible,but I would recommend it as a rental only is you can't find anything else.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Has anyone seen "The Ice Harvest" with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton?

I want to add this to the Netflix queue, but want to know if it's worth it.

+ Reply to Thread