+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    As for the gay sex, as I said elsewhere, if you didn't know before the movie how men have sex you still won't know afterwards.
    Very true. You really nailed it: it really is about the tortured interactions, the lack of action, the shattered dreams... And nobody in the movie epitomizes this better than Heath Ledger. When I first saw the movie, I was all about Jake Gyllenhaal, but there's something about Heath's quiet intensity that is absolutely devastating. He had the same effect on me in Monster's Ball, although his screen time didn't amount to much there. Did he end up winning any awards at all for Brokeback Mountain? If not the Oscar, he should at least have won the Golden Globe. (Wait. I think he did. Good for him.)

I'm thinking of maybe renting King Kong over the weekend. Can anyone recommend it or steer me towards something else? I never got round to seeing it in theatres which, given the grandness of the movie, was probably a mistake, but my hubby and I figure it could make an excellent hangover flick. Long, epic Peter Jackson movies work surprisingly well when you're too - I'm going to be diplomatic here and use the word tired - to move. Not that I'm planning anything too grand for the weekend, so this one might have to wait until I'm in the right frame of mind.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Very true. You really nailed it: it really is about the tortured interactions, the lack of action, the shattered dreams... And nobody in the movie epitomizes this better than Heath Ledger. When I first saw the movie, I was all about Jake Gyllenhaal, but there's something about Heath's quiet intensity that is absolutely devastating. He had the same effect on me in Monster's Ball, although his screen time didn't amount to much there. Did he end up winning any awards at all for Brokeback Mountain? If not the Oscar, he should at least have won the Golden Globe. (Wait. I think he did. Good for him.)
    I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman won the Golden Globe too, Geek. In any other year, Heath probably would've taken everything.

I'm thinking of maybe renting King Kong over the weekend. Can anyone recommend it or steer me towards something else? I never got round to seeing it in theatres which, given the grandness of the movie, was probably a mistake, but my hubby and I figure it could make an excellent hangover flick. Long, epic Peter Jackson movies work surprisingly well when you're too - I'm going to be diplomatic here and use the word tired - to move. Not that I'm planning anything too grand for the weekend, so this one might have to wait until I'm in the right frame of mind.
    I saw and loved King Kong. I will say that it was very intense and the action was pretty non-stop. Plus, the bigger your TV screen is, the better. I don't know if it would be a good hangover movie, but it was still really good. I kept having to remind myself that King Kong was computer-generated because he seemed SO real.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Think outside of the box MissLibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I saw it in the theater and had mixed feelings. It's definitely worth renting. I liked the special effects, all the different critters on the island are fantastic. You can definitely see the same talent for creating whole new landscapes and living creatures great and small here as we saw in all the Rings.

Naomi's constant running was a little exhausting. And it was 3 hours but I suppose a testament to the movie being well-done was I didn't notice the length of time.

And I was very emotional at the end...enjoy if you see it!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLibby View Post
    I saw it in the theater and had mixed feelings. It's definitely worth renting. I liked the special effects, all the different critters on the island are fantastic. You can definitely see the same talent for creating whole new landscapes and living creatures great and small here as we saw in all the Rings.

Naomi's constant running was a little exhausting. And it was 3 hours but I suppose a testament to the movie being well-done was I didn't notice the length of time.

And I was very emotional at the end...enjoy if you see it!
    Altho for a hangover movie, watching all that running and being tossed around could be tough on a tummy!

The Weatherman: I watched this last night with my sister. She loved it and it made her cry. I was more . Then again Nicholas Cage is on "her list"

Pride and Prejudice. I saw this on the big screen when it first came out and liked it even though I didn't think I would after loving the BBC adaptation with Colin Firth. Apart from some idiocy with Bingley walking into Jane's sickroom (yeah, right), sleevless ballgown in the late 18th century (I don't think so), no bonnets EVAH on Lizzie and some other assorted painful mistakes, it was a good movie. I love Matthew McFayden, his eyes!! I just rewatched the first season of MI-5 on DVD too and that's all Matthew all the time, .

Walk the line: I rented it too, because Brokeback was all out, but haven't seen it yet. I'm not into country music by any means, but I really want to see this.

Clarissa: from my local library, where all the good stuff can be found. This is a BBC adaptation of the 18th c. Samuel Richardson novel about marriage, family, scandal, money, jealousy, naivete, morality and power over people. If you don't like powdered wigs or you hated Dangerous Liasons this movie is not for you. I loved it and of course will now be forced to actually read this thing, all 1536 pages or so of it (per Amazon), sometime before I die.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Vanity Fair: I finally got around to watching this today. I was surprised by how much I liked it. I was not familiar with the story, so I was constantly on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what would happen next. I was also constantly trying to "guesstimate" how pregnant Reese Witherspoon was in each scene. I loved James Purefoy I cannot get enough of him. If there is anyone out there that can recommend any other movies with him in it...saw A Knight's Tale and Resident Evil, but any others would be greatly appreciated. I also thought this was a great movie for Rhys Ivans and Gabriel Byrne. However, Reese totally owned this picture, although I was not a huge fan of the ending, she had me crying along with her. My throat is sore still, hours later.

I've rented quite a bit over the past few weeks...

A History Of Violence - I liked it, but not as much as others in this thread. I loved the ending and the acting was pretty consistent throughout. An interesting story where you didn't need to be spoonfed the plot.

Capote - Yes, Philip Seymour Hoffman was great, but the movie itself I found just 'meh'. It dragged in spots and I thought PSH mumbled almost as much as Heath did at times in Brokeback Mountain.

Derailed - We only rented it because someone we ran into at the store said we should. Turned out to be 100% better than I expected. I didn't see the twist coming at all. Clive Owen was great in it, and I do believe he's going to be huge someday.

Flightplan - Another movie that was better than I expected. I had fun trying to figure out what was going on.

North Country - It was much more engaging than I thought it would be. Charlize Theron and Frances McDormand were terrific.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I saw Capote as well and really enjoyed it. Miss F, I usually watch movies with the subtitles on, so I didn't notice any mumbling. I did think Philip Seymour Hoffman was really outstanding in the role, and I enjoyed Catherine Keener as well (is it actually true that Capote and Harper Lee were next-door neighbours?!?).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I saw Capote as well and really enjoyed it. Miss F, I usually watch movies with the subtitles on, so I didn't notice any mumbling. I did think Philip Seymour Hoffman was really outstanding in the role, and I enjoyed Catherine Keener as well (is it actually true that Capote and Harper Lee were next-door neighbours?!?).
    AJane, from what I understand they were neighbours for a couple of years when they were kids, growing up in the South. The character of Dill, Scout's friend who stays in Maycomb over the summer, is supposedly based on Truman Capote.

Capote is definitely on my "to watch" list, so I'm glad to see all the favourable reviews here. My parents saw it the other night and loved it. In fact, my father, who is usually on a strict "all crime" literary diet, went to the first book store he could find and picked up both In Cold Blood and Breakfast at Tiffany's, so he must have been really impressed. I intend to get my hands on them as soon as possible, because I've always wanted to read something by Truman Capote. Is it a good idea to familiarize yourself with his work before you see the movie?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread