+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I watched Brokeback Mountain last night. It was good but I wouldn't buy it. I would watch it again but man, what was with all the sex scenes????? I think they kinda overdid it on that. There was somebody going to bed every 5 minutes it seemed for a bit there. Other than that I liked it. That just kinda put me off. I don't have a problem with the fact that it was 2 men. I mean ALL the scenes. I think it took away from the beauty of the story. And the end was....I liked it. I was wondering how it was going to wrap up. It was interesting.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    I watched Brokeback Mountain last night. It was good but I wouldn't buy it. I would watch it again but man, what was with all the sex scenes????? I think they kinda overdid it on that. There was somebody going to bed every 5 minutes it seemed for a bit there. Other than that I liked it. That just kinda put me off. I don't have a problem with the fact that it was 2 men. I mean ALL the scenes. I think it took away from the beauty of the story. And the end was....I liked it. I was wondering how it was going to wrap up. It was interesting.
    Now that you've said that, I may not rent it. I was going to because I love love love Heath Ledger but I'm not sure I want to see him in sex scenes with Jake Gyllenhall. Thanks for the head's up Princess. I think I will stay away from this one. Can't wait to pick up my copy of Narnia tonight.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Regarding Brokeback Mountain, I don't think they overdid the sex scenes at all. In fact, the most graphic sex scenes involve heterosexual action, but interestingly enough, I haven't heard anyone complain about gratuitous flashes of Michelle Williams's boobs. It's really just a beautiful, touching, and poignant love story with amazing performances from everyone. It's the kind of movie that will be constantly on your mind for days after you've seen it; it broke my heart and led to many important and poignant discussions with some of my less open-minded friends. Oh, and the soundtrack is GREAT. Do rent it, nilesgirl: I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

ETA: I didn't mean to come off as condescending in this post, but I just realised that the phrasing "some of my less open-minded friends" might be perceived that way. I'm not trying to force my liberal, queer theory-fed "you don't fall in love with a gender and by the way, some of my closest friends are gay" views on people, but I do think that everyone should try to watch Brokeback Mountain in order to form their own opinion about it. It really is an astounding piece of cinema. Bring tissues, though.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 04-05-2006 at 01:53 PM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Brokeback Mountain

I liked it. I read the short story it was based on today because I liked it. I think it is a good movie. I was referring to the heterosexual sex scenes. I think they were a bit too much. I liked how the tent scene was handled amd I wish all the sex scenes had been handled the same way.
    I reccomend renting this movie. Don't take my first post wrong.

ETA: I thought some of the scenes with Ennis and his wife, and the scene with Jack and his future wife were too much. While the peek we got into their relationship was good I felt like they could've gotten their point across in a differant way. I thought I was more clear. I loved the story and felt like the sex took away from it. It was about Ennis and Jack. Their forbidden love. How you don't pick the person, fate does and it doesn't have to be wrong if you don't let it.

RENT THIS MOVIE.
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 04-05-2006 at 02:30 PM. Reason: I was misunderstood.

Everything Is Illuminated This film is not for everyone. There is little action and a good deal of reaction without dialogue. I found it to be a very touching and meaninful story with some excellent performances. Some have said that Elijah Wood's performance was one-note, but to me he played it exactly as the character called for.

King Kong Enjoyable but I agree that the island conflicts could have been shortened. I particularly loved hearing Al Jolsen sing in the opening scene. I do love Peter Jackson's work and would love to see him film Heinlein's "Stranger In a Strange Land."

A History of Violence I would generaly hate a film that has as much graphic violence as this one. The fact that I liked it as much as I did speaks to the quality of the movie. There were many outstanding performances from major to minor characters.

The Squid and the Whale Although this is supposedly based on the author's childhood memories, I found it less than believable. For me it went over the top in almost every department.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

CRASH: I finally watched it tonight with my sister. I thought it was interesting. I liked it, but I don't quite get what all the hype was about. It left the storylines open-ended which I really liked, but I was still just feeling "is this all?" at the end. It was about 1 hour and 47 minutes which seemed really short to me. I thought it would last much longer. The movie goes VERY quickly. Not too sure how to recommend. Yes I would probably watch it again, but I don't even know how to describe it in terms of a recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    I liked it. I read the short story it was based on today because I liked it. I think it is a good movie. I was referring to the heterosexual sex scenes. I think they were a bit too much. I liked how the tent scene was handled amd I wish all the sex scenes had been handled the same way.
    I reccomend renting this movie. Don't take my first post wrong.
    Sorry Jafo, I guess I should have read your post more carefully. I was mainly responding to nilesgirl's post, though, but I'm sorry if it seemed like I was having a go at you. You're right, the tent scene (as I recall, the only sex scene between Jack and Ennis) was very tastefully and subtly done. In fact, as a massive, ahem, fan of both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, I was almost a wee bit disappointed that they kept the nudity virtually non-existent. It bugs me a bit that they felt the need to make the heterosexual sex scenes so prominent, almost as though they were over-compensating (apologising?) for the gay theme. Yes, I get that both Jack and Ennis led double lives, and I get that they did occasionally sleep with their wives (hence the babies) but especially one scene between Heath and Michelle felt a bit too much.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek- You took the words right out of my mouth. I was concentrating so much on trying to get across that I wasn't a homophobe that I ended up not being clear. I read the story and wish that they wouldv'e tried harder(?) to give us that information instead of giving us a T&A show. I think if htis movie had been made even in the 90's there would've been alot less of that. I guessit's just a sign of the times.

King Kong: I was surprised by how much I liked the movie. I enjoyed every minute of it. It seemed to be broken into 3 parts. Part 1: set up the human characters and the Depression. Part 2: set up the island and Kong. Part 3: see how they handled coming back to NYC. I enjoyed the action scenes as well as the love scenes. I was a little disappointed in the end, because we didn't get to see what happened to everyone who came back. But can i just say how much I was loving Adrian Brody ?! I never saw him as a "sex symbol" but he was totally hot in this movie!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Regarding Brokeback Mountain, I don't think they overdid the sex scenes at all. In fact, the most graphic sex scenes involve heterosexual action, but interestingly enough, I haven't heard anyone complain about gratuitous flashes of Michelle Williams's boobs. It's really just a beautiful, touching, and poignant love story with amazing performances from everyone. It's the kind of movie that will be constantly on your mind for days after you've seen it; it broke my heart and led to many important and poignant discussions with some of my less open-minded friends. Oh, and the soundtrack is GREAT. Do rent it, nilesgirl: I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

ETA: I didn't mean to come off as condescending in this post, but I just realised that the phrasing "some of my less open-minded friends" might be perceived that way. I'm not trying to force my liberal, queer theory-fed "you don't fall in love with a gender and by the way, some of my closest friends are gay" views on people, but I do think that everyone should try to watch Brokeback Mountain in order to form their own opinion about it. It really is an astounding piece of cinema. Bring tissues, though.
    This is just such a common comment about this film on the Brokeback thread I've decided it should be called the "Brokeback Effect"--I've liked lots of films, but I don't recall one ever before that was still haunting me a week later.
    And i don't mean the sex scenes Nilesgirl, (except the one Michelle sees)--it's the tortured interactions--you really should see it! Then let us know what you thought. As for the gay sex, as I said elsewhere, if you didn't know before the movie how men have sex you still won't know afterwards.

+ Reply to Thread