+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post

Speaking of Cronenberg, we got A History of Violence as well. Another great film! I was really impressed with the performances by Viggo Mortenson and William Hurt, and felt that, like Spider, it was another example of how Cronenberg's work has matured. Just really excellent, taut story, wonderful performances, and beautifully composed shots. Another thumbs up here, we lucked out on the movie rentals this week.
    We rented this last night, and I agree with everything you said. Great, suspenseful story with stellar performances. It didn't have a very distinct Cronenberg feel to it, though - it's much more mainstream than his earlier work. My sister, who had watched it a couple of weeks ago, warned me about violent and graphic scenes, but I must be emotionally and morally damaged from my fifteen-year-long horror addiction, because I didn't flinch once. Well, maybe once - there's a rather unpleasant scene towards the end that did make me put down the popcorn bowl for a minute or two.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna View Post
    Wow . . . I'm really glad to hear of such a meaningful project being done in school! When I was 14, my choir went on tour to Eastern Europe and we visited Auschwitz while we were in Poland. That experience has haunted me ever since. So, I'm glad for both the films and your school's work to preserve the memory and pass it on--it's both an important bit of history and a tragic lesson that needs to be marked well.
    Thank you Mantenna. It's nice to want to get up the morning and go to work every day! I just hope this year's 10th graders can do the subject matter justice.

FORT Fan
    We rented Waiting last night. It was pretty good- not hilarious though. As a former long time waitperson, a lot of it was totally right on about the restaraunt staff and the customers. A few things were over the top,(like the *messing with the food* bit. I've never worked in a place that did anything to the food, nor would I, but it's quite a scary thought it could happen) but it brought back many, many memories. Not a run out and rent it rental, but a good one if you just want to veg out without thinking too much about it.

Think outside of the box MissLibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=SnowflakeGirl;1847443]Oh, we LOVE Father Ted here. My favorite is the young, daft priest, Father Dougal is it?

Yes, young Dougal. The housekeeper is great too!

We just rented The Aristocrats. I had heard that it was funny but no one told me how gross and explicit the comediennes get! Even if you don't think lude humor fazes you, this might. But I liked the premise of this film, following the joke across generations and around the world, and getting an inside look at the comedy industry. Seeing Bob Saget depart from his family-friendly TV image was hilarious.

Just don't watch it with anyone who's squeamish.

Saw the King Kong remake this weekend. I thought it was about one hour too long. The perils of the island went on and on and on...I get it, the island is dangerous! I'll spoiler quote this in case anyone would consider this a plot give-away
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Also, I didn't feel the Naomi Watts character was as concerned for Kong in the end the way Jessica Lange was (sorry I don't remember the original with Faye Wray). I remember Jessica pleading with Kong not to put her down so that he wouldn't get shot but Naomi never did that, she just stands around looking fearful but not screaming or crying or anything (I'm talking about at the very end). Not that I expected the movie to be exact because I know Peter Jackson put his own mark on it but I still expected Naomi to try a little harder to keep Kong safe

Can't wait for Tues. so I can buy my copy of the Chronicles of Narnia!

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar

Memoirs of A Geisha

I watched Memoirs of a Geisha this weekend and....well, I though it was GREAT!! I loved it. I wasn't sure after crouching Tiger but I took a chance (my movie store has a great lame movie return policy) and I am SO glad I did! NOTE: It is most definatley a chick-flick. Jafo tried to watch it. But he wussed out and went outside to scratch his butt and do "man stuff".
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 04-03-2006 at 11:03 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I watched The History of Violence yesterday because of SnowGirl and Geek's posts. I was not disappointed. Good movie. The shots are great. Thanks SnowGirl and Geek!

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    I watched Memoirs of a Geisha this weekend and....well, I though it was GREAT!! I loved it. I wasn't sure after crouching Tiger but I took a chance (my movie store has a great lame movie return policy) and I am SO glad I did! NOTE: It is most definatley a chick-flick. Jafo tried to watch it. But he wussed out and went outside to scratch his butt and do "man stuff".
    I saw this Friday night. I thought it was great too. I loved the ending, even though it made me cry. It was nice to see it have a "realistic" ending, instead of a let's tie everything up and make everyone live happily-ever-after together.

STAY: saw this Saturday. Stars Ryan Gosling and Ewan McGregor. This movie was very weird and intense. I knew it had to have a twist ending, but I am so glad I didn't figure it out! If you like to be confused and entertained at the same time, this is the movie for you.

I recently rented "Cry Wolf" and "Rent" Let me give you my opinions.
    Cry Wolf This was pretty cool. Great twists and it was soooo weird to see John Bon Jovi playing a teacher. He looked so cute in his suit and vest. The last 5 minutes of the movie had me floored when, just when you think everything has finally been solved, they throw in one final twist. Something tells me there may be a sequel just like the Urban Legend movies. All in all, very good. 4.5 stars out of 5 (my only problem was that parts of it were a little slow)
    Rent Eh. It was okay. While I love musicals, I think there was just a tad bit too much music in this. It's like they turned every other conversation into a song. A bit ridiculous. As far as Mark goes, I'm trying to remember the Daryll character in Adventures in Babysitting. I really did like Rosario Dawson. Stupidest song for me was that ridiculous number that Maureen sang at her performance right before the riot (Over the Moon). It was like she got her hands on a bad batch of acid or something. All in all, the acting was pretty good and the story was okay.
    3.5 stars out of 5
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs View Post
    STAY: saw this Saturday. Stars Ryan Gosling and Ewan McGregor. This movie was very weird and intense. I knew it had to have a twist ending, but I am so glad I didn't figure it out! If you like to be confused and entertained at the same time, this is the movie for you.
    I saw this too, kimrs. I'm still not sure if I liked it or not, though (Ryan Gosling sure is cute, but awful young ). The funky camera shots were kind of jarring, and why were Ewan McGregor's clothes too small for him???? Would have liked to see more of Janeane Garafalo's character, too...I have the feeling that some of her scenes were left on the cutting room floor.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread