+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna View Post
    I just rented and watched a fantastic film--The Straight Story, directed by David Lynch. The story follows the true story of 73-year-old Alvin Straight (played by Richard Farnsworth), who embarks on a 260-mile journey to visit his estranged brother Lyle, who has recently suffered a stroke. The catch? Alvin doesn't have a driver's licence, so he hitches a trailer to his riding lawnmower and hits the road.

I've seen Wild at Heart, bits of Eraserhead, and about half of Mullholland Drive, and I must say that I'm a big fan of Lynch's weirdness and impeccable subtlety in style. The Straight Story retains Lynch's amazing eye for detail (just about everything in the movie is perfectly in place, visually and aurally) but he now sheds the surreal in favor of stark realism. And real it is--this movie is so much like "real life" in its moments of discomfort, its humor, and its beauty. (I think it's also very noteworthy that, unlike Lynch's previous work, The Straight Story is G-rated.) Some might complain that it's too slow, but I think every piece of art worth experiencing will ask a little of you, thus enriching your life in a new way. Personally, I'd rather take that than a stagnant formula that comes repackaged every year. It's a beautiful, uplifting film, and I can't recommend it enough.
    Beautifully put, Manny! David Lynch is my all-time favourite director and I've loved everything he's ever done. Like you, I'm a huge fan of his pitch black, disturbing surrealism - I've watched Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet and - of course! - Twin Peaks more times than I can count. I have to say, though, that the warmth and humanity of The Straight Story (such a great title, by the way!) gets me every time. Many of my friends have complained about it being too slow, but to me, that's part of the beauty: the fact that here's a story that takes its time unfolding, in the meantime celebrating the wonderful quirkiness of everyday life. Richard Farnsworth should have won an Academy Award for his performance. He was nominated but didn't win and seeing that he passed away soon afterwards, it would have been a wonderful way to acknowledge his amazing acting skills. I've loved him back since when I knew him as Matthew of Anne of Green Gables. There was a gentleness and effortlessness to his acting style that is so rare to find these days. I was heartbroken to learn that he killed himself after he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Aww, thank you, Geek the Girl. I might have guessed you'd be a fan of Lynch and this movie . . . we have very similar tastes!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Richard Farnsworth should have won an Academy Award for his performance. He was nominated but didn't win and seeing that he passed away soon afterwards, it would have been a wonderful way to acknowledge his amazing acting skills. I've loved him back since when I knew him as Matthew of Anne of Green Gables.
    Oh, I absolutely agree. This was a very Oscar-worthy performance--his dialogue delivery was wonderful, but his silent moments spoke even more eloquently. The writing was amazing and Farnsworth's acting brought it to life perfectly.

I'm glad you mentioned Anne of Green Gables, too . . . that was a favorite of mine growing up. And yes, I definitely cried watching it and still would today.

Life Is Beautiful: I rented this to show in school. OMG! This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. When I turned the lights back on at the end, my face and almost all of my students faces were wet with tears. This movie will make you laugh and cry out loud. There are no words. I had to go home and order this from Amazon.

I agree, Kimrs . . . Life is Beautiful is a wonderful movie, and very deserving of its three Oscars (I remember the score being staggeringly beautiful). I'm curious--for what class and grade level did you show this film?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna View Post
    I agree, Kimrs . . . Life is Beautiful is a wonderful movie, and very deserving of its three Oscars (I remember the score being staggeringly beautiful). I'm curious--for what class and grade level did you show this film?
    I teach at a Science and Technology magnet school, so our students create a year end final project. On the tenth grade team (which I am a member of, I teach mathematics) our project is to create a Genocide Museum. We choose different genocides throughout history and our students create a memorial to each one. We then display it in our Informations Commons for the rest of the year.

Each classroom showed a different film and then Wednesday we went to the Holocaust Museum in DC. I volunteered to show Life is Beautiful since I had never seen it before.
    Last edited by kimrs; 03-31-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Wow . . . I'm really glad to hear of such a meaningful project being done in school! When I was 14, my choir went on tour to Eastern Europe and we visited Auschwitz while we were in Poland. That experience has haunted me ever since. So, I'm glad for both the films and your school's work to preserve the memory and pass it on--it's both an important bit of history and a tragic lesson that needs to be marked well.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLibby View Post
    Thanks, JP, glad someone else knows about Father Ted! That old alcoholic priest is a riot.
    Oh, we LOVE Father Ted here. My favorite is the young, daft priest, Father Dougal is it?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Here's another one who rented The Constant Gardener recently and enjoyed it. I may be biased, though, since Ralph Fiennes can't go wrong in my book - I don't think I've ever seen him in a movie I didn't like. I'm one of the few people who liked Spider. But yeah, great movie, important subject and gorgeous cinematography.
    Agreed, agreed, and agreed. Also glad to see someone else who liked Spider--I thought that was one of Cronenberg's best, incidentally. And LOVE Ralph Fiennes! I haven't much else to add to all the comments about The Constant Gardener, other than I cried like a baby throughout the whole film, and I don't understand how Ralph Fiennes was not at least nominated for a Best Actor Oscar this year.

Speaking of Cronenberg, we got A History of Violence as well. Another great film! I was really impressed with the performances by Viggo Mortenson and William Hurt, and felt that, like Spider, it was another example of how Cronenberg's work has matured. Just really excellent, taut story, wonderful performances, and beautifully composed shots. Another thumbs up here, we lucked out on the movie rentals this week.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Snowy-Punkin, I wish we could watch a movie together.

My sister and nieces recently visited and they brought Napoleon Dynamite with them to watch. I know I'm REALLY late on the punch here, but that movie was so stupid that it was hilarious. I can still hear him saying "Goooosh" and "Uuugh"

Yeah, I don't get out much.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Well, next time we get together, Jewels, we'll have to rent movies and snuggle over popcorn.

I'm finally catching up on my Oscar nominees! These came in the mail from Netflix: Walk the Line and Memoirs of a Geisha. Can't wait to watch them.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Well, next time we get together, Jewels, we'll have to rent movies and snuggle over popcorn.

I'm finally catching up on my Oscar nominees! These came in the mail from Netflix: Walk the Line and Memoirs of a Geisha. Can't wait to watch them.
    I love Reese Witherspoon and June Carter together. June's so cute and a great funny persoanlity. The movie's really good, and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad Reese won the Oscar award for it. She was just great in it.
    Stop the world! I want to get off!

Young and thriving, I feel infinite. Need I say more?

+ Reply to Thread