+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Think outside of the box MissLibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
    Brief Encounter - Yeah, I know it's an oldie, but I'd never seen it all the way through before. It had me and my husband speaking to each other in very stilted English accents (easier for me because I AM English) by the end of the movie. Pretty great movie though!
    Britannia, I might take you up on this recco - I don't know why but we seem to be watching a lot of British exports lately. On Netflix we were renting BBC series like Black Adder and Father Ted.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I LOVE Father Ted! That show is hilarious! Enjoy!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

PRIME: This starred Uma Thurman as a recently divorced 37-year old and Meryl Streep as her Jewish therapist. Uma starts dating Meryl's 23-year old son and the movie becomes a combination of Meryl pratfalls trying to hide that she knows and the very real emotional investment made by Uma and the son to have a real relationship with so many things going against them. I sincerely LOVED this movie. I laughed, I bawled my eyes and I was pretty emotionally spent at the end.

DOMINION: This was the second version of the prequel to the Exorcist. I like this one better. It had a shorter final confrontation sequence, but I liked the overall story arc better. Still, it wasn't a good movie, but I was entertained for most of it.

The Constant Gardener Rated R
    I found this movie to be better than I thought it would be. Very interesting seeing E africa. Rachel Weisz and Ralph Finnes do their jobs well. I give it a 4/5.

Think outside of the box MissLibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    I LOVE Father Ted! That show is hilarious! Enjoy!
    Thanks, JP, glad someone else knows about Father Ted! That old alcoholic priest is a riot.

In keeping with our Brits theme I just saw V for Vendetta..I'm sure that'll be a rental soon.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    MissLibby - Father Ted is great, but I introduced my American husband to The Vicar of Dibley. He now insists we watch the whole series every spring! lol.
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Noreen, we too watched The Constant Gardener recently. I didn't have any preconceptions about it or even knew what it was about. I have to say that I really enjoyed it but was sickened that this thing goes on all the time in 3rd world countries.

Here's another one who rented The Constant Gardener recently and enjoyed it. I may be biased, though, since Ralph Fiennes can't go wrong in my book - I don't think I've ever seen him in a movie I didn't like. I'm one of the few people who liked Spider. But yeah, great movie, important subject and gorgeous cinematography.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Here's another one who rented The Constant Gardener recently and enjoyed it. I may be biased, though, since Ralph Fiennes can't go wrong in my book - I don't think I've ever seen him in a movie I didn't like. I'm one of the few people who liked Spider. But yeah, great movie, important subject and gorgeous cinematography.
    Wasn't the cinematography great? All those beautiful blues and oranges and greens. I loved it.
    I saw 3 Ralph Fiennes movies that weekend!....Constant Gardener, the new Harry Potter where he plays Voldemort, and then Wallace and Gromit's Curse of the Wererabbit, where Fiennes was the voice of the nasty hunting chap who fancied Helena Bonham Carter's Lady Tottingham...Quentin somethingorother..

I just rented and watched a fantastic film--The Straight Story, directed by David Lynch. The story follows the true story of 73-year-old Alvin Straight (played by Richard Farnsworth), who embarks on a 260-mile journey to visit his estranged brother Lyle, who has recently suffered a stroke. The catch? Alvin doesn't have a driver's licence, so he hitches a trailer to his riding lawnmower and hits the road.

I've seen Wild at Heart, bits of Eraserhead, and about half of Mullholland Drive, and I must say that I'm a big fan of Lynch's weirdness and impeccable subtlety in style. The Straight Story retains Lynch's amazing eye for detail (just about everything in the movie is perfectly in place, visually and aurally) but he now sheds the surreal in favor of stark realism. And real it is--this movie is so much like "real life" in its moments of discomfort, its humor, and its beauty. (I think it's also very noteworthy that, unlike Lynch's previous work, The Straight Story is G-rated.) Some might complain that it's too slow, but I think every piece of art worth experiencing will ask a little of you, thus enriching your life in a new way. Personally, I'd rather take that than a stagnant formula that comes repackaged every year. It's a beautiful, uplifting film, and I can't recommend it enough.

+ Reply to Thread