+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 420 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Going through an "Audrey Tautou" stage here... my boyfriend is in love with her, and I decided to rent all of her movies as much as I could find.

Watching Venus Beauty Institute.

Will let you know if its ok. Laters.

My boyfriend saw that pixie white face picture of her on the cover of Amelie and it put him off so bad he doesn't even want to watch the movie.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Originally posted by fluff
    Madeleine Stowe's lips were so pumped full of collagen I couldn't concentrate on anything else when she was on the screen.
    The movie "We Were Soldiers" was pretty good. Not great, but good. But you're right, Fluff. I couldn't get past her freaky lips and those awful bangs in her hair, either.

[Harvard Man] is the movie that they should show impressionable kids in order to deter them from taking drugs.
    This is exactly what I felt about "Requiem for a Dream," Sher. Granted, so many scenes in RfaD are not age-appropriate. But, had I ever considered experimenting with hard drugs (just to follow through on that whacky notion of trying everything), this film truly squelched that urge. I think, at the time, I wanted to see it because I loved "Pi" so inordinately much (perfect disturbing crazy math geek movie). RfaD falls under that list of movies I was glad I watched but have resolved to never never never see again. It's cringe-worthy. What in the name of all that is holy prompted me to see the "uncut" version?

Hi folks,

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've been pretty much housebound for the past few months, nursing an injury that has me on bedrest. That being said, NETFLIX IS THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME in my recent condition. The question at this point is what movie have I NOT rented recently? I've seen it all, from "Amelie" to "Barbershop" to "Importance of Being Earnest" to "Death to Smoochy" (I like all of the above, BTW, and am trying to repress the traumatic memories of the really crap stuff I've rented).

I just wanted to mention a film I rented recently that really blew me away called "The Wicker Man". It is a British film from the early 70s that is little-heard of (at least in the States) but has cult following, I rented after hearing recommendations for it from two of the hippest cineastes I know. Though it is billed as horror, I found it to be a literate, bizarre, thrilling and occasionally beautiful film. It actually starts out rather light and comical, then at the end rolls downhill towards a startling finish. To say too much about it would spoil the suspense.

That being said, it is truly a quirky bit of work--I don't know if it's for everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone on here's even heard of it!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Shay, I also liked RfaD, but can't say I have a desire to watch it again. To be honest, I watched the DVD all night, then my husband popped it in the next day, and then I watched it again to check out the special features, and b/c the cinematography is really amazing...after having it on for so long in my house I felt like I had become strung out on drugs!!!

I had to get something cute, sweet, and funny ("Big Fat Greek Wedding"!) as an antidote afterwards! Still, it's a great film.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Watched a very sweet German movie yesterday (with subtitles) called "Mostly Martha".

Someone was going to watch Death to Smoochy recently - did you like it? I thought it was hilarious! I loved it!

Originally posted by BravoFan

Decent movie, but took me forever to watch.

I still have Oceans Eleven on my Tivo...it's been there since Dec. 12, 2002 - that's how often I get around to watching movies.
    If you like a good "caper" film, do make time for Ocean's Eleven . Granted, my definition of "caper" is pretty broad: anything that involves criminals, robbery, scams and someone trying to foil the theft usually does it for me.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Ocean's Eleven , as I tend to think George Clooney a smug, pretentious and self-satisfied pri[g]. Andy Garcia and Matt Damon made this film for me, along with a brilliant exchange between Damon and Bernie Mac (yes, that Bernie Mac).

Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt can crawl back into whatever talentless hole they slithered out from.

If you enjoy this one, also give The Score a try--this one came and went in the theatre, but I enjoyed it on DVD. Few in number are the Edward Norton films I don't give a chance.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Hey thanks for the advice Phat!

I'm just so slow on movies. Mr. Bravo doesn't go to the theater, and we usually just run out of time for rentals. I'll definitely save it on there until I get a chance to see it!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Bad Company

From the "Should Have Known Better" Dept.:

Acquired Bad Company through Netflix. Let me start by mentioning it's very rare (and refreshing indeed) that a movie title is so fitting to its contents.

Every once in a while, I'll go with a Jerry Bruckheimer movie because I want to enjoy some junk, although I should know better. (It's kind of like eating Chef Boy-Ar-Dee ravioli.)

Although I like Chris Rock, his performance was embarrassing. Don't ask me how, but Anthony Hopkins somehow managed to pull a decent performance out of this crap. That man could make a grocery list sound interesting, and in this case he very nearly had to.

Lot of noise...saying nothing. Lot of flash...little substance.

"...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread