+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

History of Violence - I had high hopes for this movie. I didn't like it at all. Ed Harris was a waste and Viggo was wooden and unsympathetic. If you read the synopsis on the back of the DVD cover you could figure out the movie and the very contrived ending in the first 15 minutes.

Jarhead - I fell asleep about 20 minutes into it. 'Nuff said.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Good Night and Good Luck - Absolutely marvelous! David Strathairn did just as good a job as Ed Murrow as Phillip Seymour Hoffman did as Truman Capote. I watched it a second time right after the first.

I was just a little girl at the time these events took place, but this film took me right back to where the memories were etched in my brain. For me, this was the best picture of the year.

Thank you, George Clooney, for making this movie.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Very enjoyable as all the Harry Potter films have been. I'm eager for the next one. The acting skills of the kids are improving as they age.

Walk the Line - Another enjoyable film for me. I very much liked the performances by Reese Witherspoon and especially Joaquin Phoenix, although my pick for best actress this year would have been Felicity Huffman.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I saw Walk The Line this weekend and while it was good, I don't see that Reese's role was enough for her to win best actress. But I haven't seen the films of the other nominees yet so I can't say for sure.

Brokeback Mountain It let me down a bit. There was so many raven reviews about it, so I thought i'd rent it. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. The best actor was perhaps Jake Gyllenhaal because Heath Ledger usually mumbled his way through it and Jake at least said his lines clearly.

3/5 Stars

Walk The Line This movie was terrific. This is Reese Witherspoon's best effort since Legally Blonde I think. Joaquin Phoenix was excellent. There was really nothing bad to hate about this movie except the fact that it didn't get more publicity.

4.5/5 Stars
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    History of Violence - I had high hopes for this movie. I didn't like it at all. Ed Harris was a waste and Viggo was wooden and unsympathetic. If you read the synopsis on the back of the DVD cover you could figure out the movie and the very contrived ending in the first 15 minutes.

Jarhead - I fell asleep about 20 minutes into it. 'Nuff said.
    We rented History of Violence also. It was okay. Very slow start though. A few loose ends- like the son and the bully. Was there a reason why that was there? To show that violent tendencies are inherited? The end was confusing as well. What happened next???

I watched History of Violence last night, thought it was great.
    That's the impression I got Stinkerbell, the tendencies towards violence was
    genetic. Both brothers were the same.

Napoleon Dynamite: it was, well, uh... interesting. Quirky. Weird. Funny.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on Flightplan. It was next on my Netflix list, so I pushed it down a few notches.

Just watched The Great Raid. Not bad for a tin-hat movie... OK- I sobbed like a baby!

Junebug - More like Junebugh.

A little let down by Office Space - too much hype maybe. But I have worked with all of those people at one time or another.

Any fans of Mystery Science Theater? Netflix has all of MST3 but I haven't seen any of them and wondered if one is better than another.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 03-21-2006 at 07:21 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Cricketeen - May I suggest my favorite, all-time MST3k: Manos: The Hands of Fate. Love those guys!

40 Year Old Virgin - Hysterically funny. Top notch performances make this superior to your average broad comedy--particularly Steve Carell's unexpectedly sensitive portrayal of the titular virgin (yes, I said titular--if that makes you titter, I know you'll love this movie). I was even more impressed when I discovered afterward that a) much of the movie was improvised, b) the chest waxing scene was real , and c) Andy's apartment is my geek dream home!

The Notebook - I am not a fan of lugubrious chick flicks to begin with, especially if it has the name Nicholas Sparks on it, I am usually running the other direction. I only got this because I love Rachel McAdams. Well, barely ten minutes into the film, I'm ready to bite my hand off. So sappy, so tiresome, so vomitously sentimental, I honestly don't know how I got through the entire thing.

Dear Frankie - Now this is how you make a truly touching film. This intimate Scottish film doesn't have to bash you over the head with Hollywood dramatics to explore the way love connects human beings. Subtle, nuanced performances and well-balanced humor keeps this movie feeling real and the emotions genuine, instead of the conventional tearjerker it could have become, with a plot that revolves around a young mother who writes letters pretending to be the estranged father of her deaf son. A beautiful tribute to the things we do to protect the ones we love. I also recommend this to fans of Gerard Butler; it's great to see him unmasked after Phantom of the Opera.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    SFG, at this time, I recommend "The Notebook"...the book to you. It is a good read. I haven't seen the movie. We passed it all around work!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread