+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Walk the Line - it was OK, but Joaquin Phoenix simply creeps me out. The real Johnny never looked that maniacal. Also, I'm no fan of country music, but Johnny & June must be rolling in their graves at Joaquin & Reese's vocals...wouldn't Simon Cowell have a heyday critiquing those two?
    I didn't see the movies the other nominated actresses were in, but it must have been pretty slim pickings this year for Reese to have won for that. I've enjoyed some of her earlier performances (Freeway, Election) but I thought she played June a bit too perky.

Waiting - Lord, I thought it was awful. I hate Ryan Reynolds anyway, but he was beyond annoying in this - I was gritting my teeth every time he was onscreen. Maybe you had to have worked in a Red Lobster or something to get the humour. Or maybe I was just PMSing.

March of the Penguins - Loved this, but I'm a documentary fan. Beautifully filmed and oddly engrossing, for someone who's not particularly fascinated by penguins. Also, I loved that we could finally watch a non-animated movie with our kids.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Walk the Line - it was OK, but Joaquin Phoenix simply creeps me out. The real Johnny never looked that maniacal. Also, I'm no fan of country music, but Johnny & June must be rolling in their graves at Joaquin & Reese's vocals...wouldn't Simon Cowell have a heyday critiquing those two?
    I didn't see the movies the other nominated actresses were in, but it must have been pretty slim pickings this year for Reese to have won for that. I've enjoyed some of her earlier performances (Freeway, Election) but I thought she played June a bit too perky.
    You know, I kept looking for the word to describe Reese as June and perky is it! She was all perky, all the time, in this movie and that is why I don't think she should have won. I didn't care for the vocals either, and wondered why the producers, or whoever was in charge, made them sing. They certainly could have lip synched and I think the movie would have been better. I think they did a decent job- but didn't really sound much like those two. Dumb decision, I think.

I just joined NetFlix, and my first DVD will be here tomorrow. Scrubs, season 1, disc 1. I can't wait!

I haven't rented movies since the local Blockbuster closed down without warning (the sign was just gone one day recently). But the last movie I borrowed from a friend was "Sin City". What a strange strange thing that was.

Thumbsucker
    Liked it more than I expected to. I adored Tilda Swinton and thought she brought a lot of depth to the film through her performance. Pretty much your typical film of this type, but I quite liked the final act, even if it did veer into the world of sentimentality.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I just joined NetFlix, and my first DVD will be here tomorrow. Scrubs, season 1, disc 1. I can't wait!
    Ah, the envy! I don't think there's anything I'd rather do right now than lie down on the couch and watch an entire season of Scrubs back to back. Apart from lying down on said couch with Zach Braff, that is...

I just remember a few movies I've rented without mentioning them here. The other weekend, when my man (who isn't all too chuffed about my current Zach Braff infatuation, by the way... Hey, that's what they invented TV crushes for!) was out drinking with friends, I rented Saved!, since I never get to act upon my undying love for high school flicks when we rent movies together. I quite liked it; it reminded me a little bit of old-school faves like Heathers, except rather than attacking the blonde bimbettes of every high school in America, this one attacked over-zealous Christian schools. Mandy Moore, Macaulay Culkin, Jena Malone, and Patrick Fugit all delivered solid performances in this darkly funny movie. (I never thought I'd see "Mandy Moore" and "solid performance" in the same sentence, but there you go.)

Also saw Flightplan the other weekend. It was great seeing Jodie Foster working again, and she did a fine job, but somewhere between the second and third plot twist, I lost interest. At its best, it's a taut psychological thriller that really gets to you. I found it difficult to relate to Jodie's character, though. No idea why.

Oh, and I rented Crash before it won for Best Picture, so I'm happy about that. What a great, thought-provoking movie. Easily one of the best I've seen all year.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 03-14-2006 at 02:52 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Flightplan: I love Jodie Foster and while this wasn't a bad movie, it wasn't very good either. I enjoyed most of it. I got to look at Sean Bean ! However, I couldn't call it a good movie, because I always felt 10 minutes ahead of the reveals of the "twists" I would still recommend it if you are a fan of thrillers, because I have seen a lot worse.

The Prince and Me 2: Ok, the ONLY returning character is Prince Edvard. Everyone else is recast. It is a cute film, with a recycled feel to it. There is an old law that the King can only marry royalty, not a commoner, so a princess shows up to replace Paige. Ok movie to put at the very end of your rental cue.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Last night I rented Prime with Uma Thurman and Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon.

Prime was okay - a little different than I expected, but I thought the end was really stupid. Loved the guy who played David.

Just Like Heaven was adorable in a chick-flick kinda way. I enjoy Reese and she was cute in this. I thought Mark Ruffalo was endearing and it was just a feel-good movie. It hit the spot

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    LOVE Netflix. I couldn't live without it; I especially appreciate the awesome selection they have for all types of DVDs, be it movies, TV shows, music, foreign, independent. Enjoy filling up your queue, mine is always at max capacity because I use it like external data storage for my brain!

Recently we got:
    Howl's Moving Castle - As much as I love Nick Park, I think Miyazake was robbed at the Oscars this year. His latest effort is beautiful, moving, enchanting. The animation is detailed and dreamlike, and there is something for viewers of any age to appreciate. Notably, this is one of the few times I enjoyed the English dub over watching it in the original language subtitles. I mean it's sexy Christian Bale's Batman growl, how could I not? Billy Crystal is good, Lauren Bacall is a pleasure, but the best performance of all is Jean Simmons as the older Sophie--the gravitas she gives the character brought me to tears more than once.

Just Friends - When I opened up the envelope, I was like, how did this romantic comedy get into my Netflix queue? *groan* I was prepared to be annoyed, because I'm just not a fan of the genre usually, but was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this one. Ryan Reynolds is like Will Ferrell cross-bred with Jim Carrey and Dane Cook and Chevy Chase, and to be honest, a little cuter than all of them. It's Ana Faris who really steals the show though! She manages to be simultaneously sexy and repulsive--no mean feat--but always hysterically funny. All in all, a fairly high laugh factor and sweet story that even my husband enjoyed.

Saw 2 - I loved the first Saw, so I was really looking forward to the sequel. It's not bad, and was a serviceable horror film with some awesome gags
    Click to see Spoiler:
    (the Venus Fly Trap, Needle Pit and the Blade Box are pretty cool)
    that are reminiscent of the best of Italian giallo gruesomeness. But still it doesn't capture the same thrilling fever pitch the first one reaches. The writing is just too damn sloppy. In the first Saw, each piece did fit together like a good puzzle in the end--but this one has too many extraneous characters that are there for no damn good reason, and plot holes bigger than Donnie Wahlberg's receding hairlined forehead. I do like Shawnee Smith, and yes, I will watch Saw 3 when it comes out. Plus, I love that little Jigsaw Puppet dude, I want one!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs View Post
    Flightplan: I love Jodie Foster and while this wasn't a bad movie, it wasn't very good either. I enjoyed most of it. I got to look at Sean Bean ! However, I couldn't call it a good movie, because I always felt 10 minutes ahead of the reveals of the "twists" I would still recommend it if you are a fan of thrillers, because I have seen a lot worse.
    Were any of you guys sick and tired of hearing her hysterically screaming, "JULIA?!!!" After the umpteenth time, I wanted to smack her to shut her up. She did essentially the same move, only better, with "Panic Room," which a lot of my friends didn't like but I enjoyed it.

I, too, saw "Walk the Line" and while I liked it, I didn't love it--didn't think it was Oscar caliber. And their singing was fine--it just wasn't Johnny or June. I don't like new country, but I LOVE old Johnny Cash. And when you hear the real June and Johnny singing over the credits, I was wondering why they didn't just use the real music to begin with. Whatever.

Let's see...what else...

I rented Jay Mohr's old series "Action." LOVED IT! So freaking funny. It was kind of like a companion piece to his role in "Jerry Maguire."

Oh, John, be careful how much you rent on Netflix. I'm reading all these stories about customers who are hardcore renters and Netflix "flags" these people and puts their name at the bottom of the list for the most desired titles. Netflix's rationale is that they don't make as much money off of them as the occassional renter who orders 3 or 4 movies a month.

I bought Saw II for a recent trip (figured I could watch it when I was bored on my computer). I couldn't finish it. It was just gory and stupid, whereas the first one was very good.

+ Reply to Thread