+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

I finally caught up on some rentals:

Flight Plan - Eh, it was okay. Got a little ridiculous.

Red Eye - Not anything special. I guess it was okay for a thriller but I've seen better.

The Island - I liked it but it went on and on. It was over 2 hours long and should have ended 30 min. earlier. I like Ewan McGregor but his forehead mole really distracted me during this film.

Wedding Crashers - Vince Vaughn is the only reason to watch this movie, imo. It had its funny moments but I guess I get distracted by people's facial features too easily because Owen's nose looked more disjointed than usual. Jane Seymour still looks great and Christopher Walken is, well, Christopher Walken (but I love him!).

HIGH TENSION: Ok, first I have to preface this by saying I watch a TON of horror movies, but OMG, this one freaked me out. Let me start by saying I was watching this with the lights out until about minute 40, then all the lights came on and by minute 60 I was sitting straight up with a Sudoku puzzle in my hand and pretending to try to fill in a blank every time I got scared! I was blown away by this movie! I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves horror. The scenes were so suggestively scary and suspenseful, that I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out who was going to survive!

On a side note, the only other movie I had seen the lead actress in was Around the World in 80 Days with Jackie Chan, she played the French artist Philleas fell in love with. MAJOR change of pace with this movie! But crazy to think of the two back and forth in my mind. OM-freaking-G! This movie was awesome!

I'm a horror afficionado too, kimrs, but like I mentioned in the High Tension thread, while I loved the first two acts of the film, I was extremely disappointed by the ending. I won't spoil it, but suffice it to say I feel it ruined what was otherwise an excellent, thrill-filled film, and nice return to unironic, pure, 70s horror.

If you want to see a movie with an awesome ending I didn't see coming, and doesn't feel tacked on for shock but rather closes the film with perfect symmetry, watch Layer Cake. I rented that last week and loved it. It is the directorial debut by the producer of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch but while the subject (gangsters, crime caper) is the same, it chooses a grittier and more straightforward style of telling its story than either of those Guy Ritchie films.

We also watched Red Eye. It wasn't particularly groundbreaking cinema, but it was a fun, suspenseful 90 minute diversion. What can I say, I LOVES me some Cillian Murphy, and so I enjoyed it. Rachel McAdams is also fantastic, and her character is so nice, you just want to root for her. Rent it if you like either of those two actors, or just want to support ol' Wes Craven's first foray outside the horror genre. Love you, Wes!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I watched Flightplan, and it's not the best movie in the world, but it's not all that bad either. Jody Foster makes the movie, of course.

I rented 5 movies this week, to enjoy during my down time.

MUMFORD: Sweet, but forgetable

VANITY FAIR: Rule #1: Never hire a Southern Girl to play the role of a FRENCH girl, trained in England,....ev-ver! I thought everyone did a good job, excepting Reese (whom I adore elsewhere); I hated her performance.

THUMBSUCKER: The real surprise of the bunch! So good, I watched the 30 minute talk between the director and author, after the movie. When it was recently playing in Chicago, the only two theatres that were showing it have a $15.00 parking lot! There is NO WAY IN H.E.DOULBE HOCKPUCK that I'm going to spend $15.00 bucks on parking, for a $6.00 matinee! So, having seen it was in DVD already, I thought, "Why not?!"

The casting is incredible with Tilda Swinton, Vincent D' Onofrio (Law & Order: Criminal Intent); Vince Vaughn; Benjamin Bratt; and Keanu Reeves, who got delicious reviews on his role. And the title character, Justin, is played by a great newcomer: Lou Pucci. If this movie was made earlier, Johnny Depp would have had the role.

The movie got surprisingly great reviews and the movie makes you think, a lot, about all types of things (none of which I can tell, for they're spoilers). But, despite the icky title, which is self-explanatory, it's a great film!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I rented Finding Neverland (It was so sad)
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

This weekend, we watched Transporter 2, which I think was the most stylish sucky film I've ever seen. I liked the first one, but this one is bloated, superficial and pointless. Shame on you, Luc Besson! You went from La Femme Nikita and Leon: The Professional to this dreck?

I also got Kamikaze Girls, and while I haven't had a chance to watch it through, I did take a peek. So far it looks like an adorable, slickly directed adventure about a modern day Elegant Lolita and a Yanki Biker Girl in Japan. I love it already.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

oOo Looks like my next rental is going to be Red eye. I agree with the ending of High tension pooping on the rest of the movie

We just rented Dukes of Hazzard the unrated version because Mr Nerd Co-worker wanted to see it..

And Army of Darkness. I've seen it about 500 times, and I would have saved a lot of dough by just buying it... But I dunno, theres something fun about handing the rental guy the box and having him give me an exasperated "again?!"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

FORT Fan
    We rented Layer Cake. My husband liked it- but since it was British- I couldn't understand a lick of it. He barely could, but got what was going on. I had no idea. Does anyone else have a problem understanding movies with British accents? It drives me nuts.

(also- I just noticed- what do the symbols mean under our screen names? Some are green, some are blue, some have a dot and a tri angle)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    We rented Layer Cake. My husband liked it- but since it was British- I couldn't understand a lick of it. He barely could, but got what was going on. I had no idea. Does anyone else have a problem understanding movies with British accents? It drives me nuts.

(also- I just noticed- what do the symbols mean under our screen names? Some are green, some are blue, some have a dot and a tri angle)
    If it doesn't bother you, use the English subtitles feature when you watch a movie. I do it for most movies even though I can hear pretty well. I just like the comfort of knowing that I can understand what someone is saying because many times the soundtrack keeps me from understanding what someone has said. I've gotten used to the words on the screen so it doesn't bother me but I know other people hate it. The one downside is I notice sometimes the subtitle uses a different word than what is actually said but since I can hear the original word, it's okay.

I never really paid attention to the symbols but since you mentioned it I moused over them and a caption comes up saying what they are. Green means online, the red triangle is if you want to report a bad post. I haven't investigated the others yet.

+ Reply to Thread