+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Red Eye PG13 Thriller 2005
    I wasn't really expecting to like this movie. Surprise, I thought it was very good. I was interested all the way to the end.
    Cillian Murphy does an excellent job.
    Master of horror Wes Craven directs.

wayward, I have to agree with you on Exorcism of Emily Rose. I thought it was going to be super scary but it was more of a psychological thriller that messed with your head. There were parts that I actually found kind of silly. I liked it but not enough to want to own it. Same with Dark Water.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I just watched March of The Penguins. (Yes, I know it's been out forever!) I just got it on Direct TV. Call me ridiculously sentimental, but it was so touching to see the one and only species on the planet who has the MALE taking care of their young while the FEMALE goes off to be the "breadwinner". I actually teared up. How amazing to see those fathers tending to their young, while almost starving themselves for over two months! And the agony of the mothers whose young did not survive, to the point that they tried to steal the babies of other mothers. It was fascinating and heartbreaking to watch. I highly reccomend it. If only some humans were so dedicated to their young, it would be a better world!
    Go Tigers!

While I usually don't like movies done in that format, I did enjoy this one. I've always loved Penguins. I had no idea the hardships they go through in their own habitat. The fact that the mothers who lost their own babies would try and steal the other mother's babies was not lost on me. You see lifetime movies like that all the time. Mom has miscarraige or loses child as an infant and has a psychotic break and tries to steal someone else's baby. I remember one such movie (can't remember the name of it or who was in it) and it was very touching. I think it was Delta Burke who was in it. I don't know that she stole another child but I remember one scene where she was sitting in what was to be the nursery. She was rocking in the rocking chair with her hands up to her shoulder as if she were holding a baby and rocking the baby, patting the baby's back. But there was nothing in her arms.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Grizzly Man nonfiction
    I just finished watching this movie. If you haven't seen it, it is not so much about bears as about the madman (Timothy Treadwell) that spends 13 summers filming himself and talking in a pretend accent.

There is very little footage of the bears, one awesome fight between two males over a female. The rest of the film is mostly interviews with people that knew him. He pretends to be by himself in an Alaskan park. The girlfriend he is with does most of the filming that we see. (you only see her twice and never clearly). He puts both of their lives in danger on a daily basis and is IN LOVE with the bears, even going to so far as touching fresh poop. The bears do not love him back. The movie is all about his final days.....

I just watched a Japanese thriller titled Audition http://imdb.com/title/tt0235198/ and although I can't recommend it to anyone (it's slow moving and very graphic at the end) it has creeped me out to no end.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Crash.....very powerful and emotional.........had to reach for the tissues quite a few times and slept very restlessly afterwards. I like those kind of movies that really make you think though. I think hubby would have preferred Wedding Crashers.......

I, too, liked Crash. It wasn't at all what I expected it to be. It blew me away to not only see the different forms of racism but to also see how all of their lives intertwined. The man who was fixing the lock on SB's house was the same man who fixed the lock on the door to the Persian convience store. When he fixe that lock, he tried to tell the owner that he needed a new door but the guy didn't understand. There are more connections but I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcorkles View Post
    I just watched a Japanese thriller titled Audition http://imdb.com/title/tt0235198/ and although I can't recommend it to anyone (it's slow moving and very graphic at the end) it has creeped me out to no end.
    Oh dear, yes, that movie is one of my favorite movies that I would not recommend in polite company. In fact I love nearly every twisted thing that I've seen by that movie's very prolific director, Takashi Miike, and Audition is possibly one of his tamer works!

Anyway, we got the American Dark Water which was such a waste of amazing talent. Jennifer Connelly, John C. Reilly, Tim Roth, Walter Salles, and even Angelo Badalamenti doing the score--these are people whose work I admire greatly, and I'm stunned that such a fine assortment of filmic professionals made such a boring, pointless, and predictable piece of poo. I don't even know why I bothered, the original Japanese version was boring too, and I love all things Asian horror!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post

Anyway, we got the American Dark Water which was such a waste of amazing talent. Jennifer Connelly, John C. Reilly, Tim Roth, Walter Salles, and even Angelo Badalamenti doing the score--these are people whose work I admire greatly, and I'm stunned that such a fine assortment of filmic professionals made such a boring, pointless, and predictable piece of poo. I don't even know why I bothered, the original Japanese version was boring too, and I love all things Asian horror!
    Snowy, Mr Geek and I rented Dark Waters last week and I agree with everything you said. Like you, I didn't think too much of the original, but all the great names (especially, of course, Angelo Badalamenti - I even bought less-than-brilliant gore fest Cabin Fever just because he was doing the score ) made me want to see it anyway. It's not bad but as you say, a tremendous waste of amazing talent. I didn't like the new ending either.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread