+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

THE TUNNEL

I was rather upset when I received it, I did not remember putting it in my Queue at Blockbuster, but I watched it anyway. First to warn you: it is about 2 hrs and 45 min and is subtitled (German language-English subtitles)...BUT OMG! The movie was incredible. It is the true story of Harry Melchior a German grand champion swiimer who escaped into West Berlin in 1961 and spent a year building a tunnel with the help of some friends to get out his sister and other friends and family. SO GOOD. I was bawling by the end of the movie. So well written and acted. I was drawn into the stories of each of the tunnel diggers and their families. The woman trying to get her fiance. The man whose pregnant wife was captured and imprisoned. The son trying to get his elderly mother. AWESOME. I highly recommend this film to anyone interested remotely in historical films or foreign films!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs View Post
    THE TUNNEL

I was rather upset when I received it, I did not remember putting it in my Queue at Blockbuster, but I watched it anyway. First to warn you: it is about 2 hrs and 45 min and is subtitled (German language-English subtitles)...BUT OMG! The movie was incredible. It is the true story of Harry Melchior a German grand champion swiimer who escaped into West Berlin in 1961 and spent a year building a tunnel with the help of some friends to get out his sister and other friends and family. SO GOOD. I was bawling by the end of the movie. So well written and acted. I was drawn into the stories of each of the tunnel diggers and their families. The woman trying to get her fiance. The man whose pregnant wife was captured and imprisoned. The son trying to get his elderly mother. AWESOME. I highly recommend this film to anyone interested remotely in historical films or foreign films!
    That sounds really good- I'll have to look for it. It somewhat reminded me of a movie that I love called Life Is Beautiful. That was such an amazing movie and I highly recommend everyone rent it!

Constantine - another graphic novel put to film. Totally understand why it did not do well on the big screen, but it is a passable rental. Violent and wouldn't let little kids (under 8 or 9 unless they are already into violent video games) see it they may have nightmares about Hell.

Immortal - very strange. Enki Bilal is the director and the story is based on 2 of his graphic novels (surprise another graphic novel put to film) The Carnival of the Immortals and The Woman Trap. It is 90 percent CGI with only 3 human actors in it. A very strange and bizarre take of New York City in 2095.

I Have Found It
    - After having seen Bride and Prejudice I saw this at the rental store and it is a Kollywood/Tamil version of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility (Subtitles) I liked Bride and Prejucide much better. B&J has higher productions values and overall better story and acting and editing and script. This is a great example of how a good director can make a superior film (B&P not I Have Found It). Funny, as the leading lady of B&J is one of the sisters in IHFI.

Suspect Zero - a serial killer story with a twist, with Ben Kingsley putting in the only decent performance of the movie. Not a bad rental, though.

Fantastic Four - not as bad as I thought it would be, typical comic book made into movie. They definitely left it open for a sequel.

Back in the Day - another good guy in the ghetto gets caught up with the bad guys story, with Ja Rule and Ving Rhames. Been done a million times before, nothing special here. This shows I'll put almost anything in my Blockbuster queue.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Heaven help me..I rented an AWFUL movie and I should be shot...but I rented it because of Tom Hanks...but he should have his hand slapped for even starring in this Godawful movie..."The Ladykillers"....what in the world made Tom Hanks want to be in this movie?

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE MOVIE.....(can you tell I didn't like the movie???)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

The 40-Year Old Virgin - this movie is an absolute riot. Steve Carrell is a genius. The funniest movie I've seen all year - hell, probably the funniest I've seen in the past five years. Hop on your bike and pedal your ass down to Blockbuster and rent it immediately.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Must Love Dogs - Cute movie but John Cusack is not aging well. He looks like he has permanent eyeliner. I used to think he was so cute but not so much as time goes by. Diane Lane still looks hot though. I can only wish to look as good as her when I'm her age.
    I liked it (The three actresses had good comedic chemistry as sisters) but it seemed like they completed the movie, found they only had an hour or so of movie and then filmed some filler scenes. Like the Stockard Channing and that internet "boyfriend" thing. And Diane Lane's ads for different sites. I like the romantic chemistry between Cusack and Lane...they just needed to have been given better lines to say to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler View Post
    I liked it (The three actresses had good comedic chemistry as sisters) but it seemed like they completed the movie, found they only had an hour or so of movie and then filmed some filler scenes. Like the Stockard Channing and that internet "boyfriend" thing. And Diane Lane's ads for different sites. I like the romantic chemistry between Cusack and Lane...they just needed to have been given better lines to say to each other.
    If you watch the deleted scenes, the director says he wound up cutting a scene that was in the trailer for the movie. It was actually a cute scene that he should have kept. I agree with the chemistry of all the actors.

I just got around to seeing About a Boy. I think it's probably the best movie Hugh Grant has done. I thought it was a great movie, very sweet and sad at times but left me with a warm feeling.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    If you watch the deleted scenes, the director says he wound up cutting a scene that was in the trailer for the movie. It was actually a cute scene that he should have kept. I agree with the chemistry of all the actors.
    Thanks for the info I'll be sure to do that.

+ Reply to Thread