+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 420 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

The wife and I just rented Spiderman this weekend. It was OK, but I was expecting much more, especially after Wayner raved about it. The effects were pretty bad, the characters were kind of weak (except Peter Parker), and Kirsten Dunst was horrifyingly bad. Still, I enjoyed the movie so it wasn't all bad. Tobey Maguire did an excellent job, I think.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I rented About a Boy with Hugh Grant. I had to put the caption on so I could read what the heck they were rattling off!!! I liked it though.
    of course, I like Hugh Grant...

Originally posted by Paulie
    The wife and I just rented Spiderman this weekend. It was OK, but I was expecting much more...
    I liked Spider-Man. I've been a fan of the comic for years on end.

I appreciated the creators' respect for the material in making the film, and though I had my doubts about Tobey Maguire in the Peter Parker role, he made me a believer.

Like you, Paulie, I had some reservations about the abundant use of CGI and didn't think some of it was carried off well. During some points of the film, though, I couldn't tell if it were Tobey or a computer rendition.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

The Banger Sisters

As a "favor" to the girlfriend, I rented TBS through Netflix so that we could have something to enjoy together.

A few responses:

1. Goldie Hawn looked good in this film. I see where daughter Kate Hudson gets her genes. Having said that, she played every other character she's ever played in film.

2. Susan Sarandon phoned in her performance.

3. Geoffrey Rush played the part of Gary Shandling. Or Woody Allen. Or any number of nebbish, neurotic, undersexed leading men. I had the feeling Rush didn't want to be in this production and simply owed the producer a favor.

The film had its moments. But they were too few and far between.

Best line/moment: "You may never [use the restroom] again."

Worst moment: After being away from Goldie Hawn's character for nearly two decades, Susan Sarandon's character dons her "wild and crazy" persona, mounts up and rides once more. Trite.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I used to subscribe to Spider-Man when I was a kid, and I was pleased with all the little in-jokes they threw in. I thought they really missed the mark, though, with MJ. It's hard to buy off on anyone committing themselves so fully to the character created by Kirsten Dunst.

I did like Jameson, though. So over the top he was perfect. That was Dwayne T. Robinson from Die Hard, wasn't it? Excellent!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

This past weekend I rented 2 movies.

Finally saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It was entertaining, but not brilliant. Hard to live up to that hype though ----

One Hour Photo. Maaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn!!! That was creepy! I have to hand it to Robin Williams. He made me forget I was watching Robin Williams.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

miss f, did you like one hour photo?

i didn't enjoy it. my bf and i both got up and said, "meh." okay, not "meh" but you understand. i thought it was very sub par.

I just rented The Bourne Identity and Serving Sara, and will watch one of them tonight, and probably the other tomorrow.

We just got our "Bourne Identity" DVD in the mail. We'll probably watch it this weekend, too.

This past weekend, I rented 8 FEMMES, BANGER SISTERS and ROAD TO PERDITION. I didn't get to see Banger Sisters, cos the rest of the family were watching it at other times. But 8 FEMMES (8 WOMEN) were all right, not really my type of movie. (Too much singing!) Road to Perdition was good, actually.

I also rent HAPPENSTANCE and WINTER SLEEPERS. I will see one of these tonight definitely.

+ Reply to Thread