+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Bride and Prejudice - loved it. Great remake of the Jane Austen classic. I do agree with an above poster who thought the Darcy character was a triffle weak. The actor needed to give the character much more presence. Originally, I saw Pride and Prejudice on PBS and Darcy was very proud and handsome and full of his selfworth, this Darcy came across as meadering and saying things like 'Delhi belly' because he was ignorant of the culture not because he was so aware of his superiority over others.

Harry Potter II - I am not a Harry Potter fan and do not read the books. I have read alot of sci fi and fantasy and after seeing the first movie, and finding it very weak and overly long and not much plot happening, and having read it elsewhere and written better, basically said I would never go see another HP movie again. Movie III looked much better than I thought and I went to see it and liked it enough that I rented number 2. The plot is getting better, but it still seems like there is 'Much Ado About Nothing' but still it was pleasant.

Sin City - a graphic novel come to life. The effects were spectacular. The story too long and boring. I got used to the voilence and was numbed to it, it seemed that Miller really wants to shock us, but to what purpose??? I started to loose interest during the Mickey Roake story after seeing his parole officer without her hand. The Bruce Willis story is very disconnected and I thought the story line needed a tad of help cause I was wondering what was going on instead of just going along for the ride. I thought the end of the Bruce Willis story was a cop out. During the middle story I was at the point were the voilence and shock value had numbed me so much that I realized that I did not care for any of the characters and didn't care what happened to them. The costumes were great and who ever did the casting did a great job.

House of Flying Daggers - loved it. The plot toward the end did get a bit convoluted and the last fight scene in the snowstorm was too long. I did check the behind the scences commentary and found out that the weather in the area was very difficult, heavy fog in the morning and bad weather by 2 or 3 pm. The snowstorm was not planned it was an act of Mother Nature and the film crew was told that it would take 10 days to clear out, so the director used it (I think Zhankg Yimou also did Hero). The film being
    Chinese and a martial arts film was quite good and the pacing tight and quick up to the last third. Some of the love scenes seemed quite forced. Many be it is the poor kissing techiniques. The actors do the longing look quite well, but the kissing, ( no tongues, but you really don't need that if the mouth on mouth is done right (see soap operas) ) was just not believable, I didn't feel as if the actress was getting passionate. She does good hand though.

I loved the cinematography but there were one or two long shots in the woods toward the end which I could have done without. This movie needed a snip more editing and it would have been an A+.

Loved the Echo Dance sequence.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    [

House of Flying Daggers - loved it. The plot toward the end did get a bit convoluted and the last fight scene in the snowstorm was too long. I did check the behind the scences commentary and found out that the weather in the area was very difficult, heavy fog in the morning and bad weather by 2 or 3 pm. The snowstorm was not planned it was an act of Mother Nature and the film crew was told that it would take 10 days to clear out, so the director used it (I think Zhankg Yimou also did Hero). The film being
    Chinese and a martial arts film was quite good and the pacing tight and quick up to the last third. Some of the love scenes seemed quite forced. Many be it is the poor kissing techiniques. The actors do the longing look quite well, but the kissing, ( no tongues, but you really don't need that if the mouth on mouth is done right (see soap operas) ) was just not believable, I didn't feel as if the actress was getting passionate. She does good hand though.

I will have to admit that the snow scene in House was confusing to me. I couldn't understand if they were suppose to be fighting for days/months/ minutes. I seemed like they were suppose to be out there for seasons- which I found stupid and unlikely. They should have just put off filming until the snow cleared- or redid the last scenes again once the snow came to continue with the continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I will have to admit that the snow scene in House was confusing to me. I couldn't understand if they were suppose to be fighting for days/months/ minutes. I seemed like they were suppose to be out there for seasons- which I found stupid and unlikely. They should have just put off filming until the snow cleared- or redid the last scenes again once the snow came to continue with the continuity.
    According to the director is was a very bad snow storm and enough fell that it would have taken 10 days for the scenery to revert to what it had been. 10 days of not filming on a movie set is very expensive and they went with it. I do agree that the fight scene was too long. What surprised me is watching Mei do a resurection scene. This must be the Chinese mythos because the logic behind the resurection is too jarring and is a big disconnect as far as I am concerned. Each film has it on internal logic and we as westerners may be not getting it all thats why that did not make any sense to me.

40 Year Old Virgin - I thought it was too raunchy and I'm not a prude. Just an awful movie. The video store only had the unrated version, which I don't understand why, so maybe the theater version wasn't as bad.

Must Love Dogs - Cute movie but John Cusack is not aging well. He looks like he has permanent eyeliner. I used to think he was so cute but not so much as time goes by. Diane Lane still looks hot though. I can only wish to look as good as her when I'm her age.

Brothers Grimm - A bit confusing at times and the dialogue was hard for me to understand in certain scenes - poor audio maybe. Overall okay but not the best from Matt Damon or Heath Ledger.

[QUOTE=ArchieComic Fan;1722388]40 Year Old Virgin - I thought it was too raunchy and I'm not a prude. Just an awful movie. The video store only had the unrated version, which I don't understand why, so maybe the theater version wasn't as bad.

I was at Blockbuster yesterday and they had a entire wall devoted to this movie and every copy was out.

FORT Fan
    We haven't rented 40 year old Virgin yet, but my BIL saw it in the theaters and said it should be rated X! so I don't think the edited version is much better. I'm still going to watch it though.

40 Year Old Virgin: So-so. A few good performances and some very funny moments, but mostly just a one-joke movie that got quite boring after a while.

Serenity: Wonderful! The movie can stand on its own, but I do feel that it was a richer experience having seen the TV series first. I hope there is a sequel and/or someone picks up the Firefly series that Fox, so typically, dropped.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Jurassic Park 2 (our DVD has disappeared but Santa is gonna be good and get us a new one!)
    Anchorman (love Will Farrell and Steve Carrell..but didn't like this movie!)

have no urge to see 40 year old virgin movie............

FORT Fan
    We rented The Island last night. Somewhat slow and a little confusing at first and the blow 'em up scenes were a little too long, but overall a pretty good movie. Gives you something to ponder anyway.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Porco Rosso - 1992 - Hayao Miyazaki's classic tale of a seaplane flying, pirate fighting pig in the Adriatic prior to WWII.
    After witnessing the horrendous deaths of his fellow pilots in action during World War I, an Italian pilot transforms into "Porco Rosso," a being that's part man, part pig. Under this confounding spell, Porco Rosso perseveres by taking odd jobs, romancing the ladies (humans, not sows!) and rescuing people in distress -- all the while looking for a way out of his porcine predicament. Hayao Miyazaki directs this oddly compelling anime.
    An amazingly touching, funny and original story.

The Cat Returns - 2002 - Another Studio Ghibli classic.
    Young Haru rescues a cat from being run over, but soon finds it's no ordinary feline; it happens to be the Prince of the Cats. And in recognition of Haru for saving his life, the cat brings her to the Kingdom of Cats … to be his bride! But Haru's feline friends Muta and the Baron hatch a plan to rescue her from this unusual fate. Think Alice in Wonderland … with kitty litter. Hiroyuki Morita directs this anime follow-up to Whisper of the Heart.
    Miyazaki turns over the reins to a new director, and a more modern character design, yet still delivers a wonderful, original story with beautiful animation and music. I haven't seen Whisper of the Heart (it releases 03/07/2006) but I'm now looking forward to it.

These are wonderful animated films (much more than anime or cartoons) that while they will have appeal for children are actually more for adults. Disney has done a great job with the english scripts and voice dubbing.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 12-25-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

+ Reply to Thread