+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

We rented and watched The Amityville Horror last night. My husband had never seen it. I saw at as a kid. It scared the crap out of me then and it scared the crap out of me last night!!!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs
    I belong to Blockbuster online, so I get 3 movies every weekend.

Batman Begins-I wish every Batman movie could be this good. Loved Christian Bale and Liam Neesom. I hope the series continues!
    I also belong to Blockbuster Online though I may be switching to Netflix shortly. I rent almost all the movies I see.

Agree completely about Batman Begins. I didn't really like any of the previous Batman films, but this one was well done. I enjoy almost any movie that Michael Caine appears in.

Ethan Frome: Beautiful and tragic story. It was quite well done, I thought. Excellent performance by Liam Neeson, as usual.

Bewitched: Michael Caine was enjoyable as always, but the movie, while not horrible, just didn't compare with the tv series.

Firefly: The Complete Series. I don't know how I missed this series when it was on since I love good science fiction. I wanted to see the series in preparation for the movie Serenity. I do wish the tv series would get a new life, hopefully somewhere other than on Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I also belong to Blockbuster Online though I may be switching to Netflix shortly. I rent almost all the movies I see.
    I used to rent from Netflix, but I would wait so long and half the time the dvd's were broken in half. Awful. It's the same price as Blockbuster and I have less of a wait and yet to have a problem with any movies.

This past weekend

It's All About Love-DON"T BOTHER! very weird indie film, that did not live up to an amazing cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Clare Danes, Sean Penn
    Urban Legends-Bloody Mary: not bad for a horror movie. predictable, but fun
    Bad Girls From Valley High-rented it because Darla from "Buffy" is in it, but it was a TERRIBLE film. very tongue-in-cheek, but felt more like finger-down-throat!

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs
    I used to rent from Netflix, but I would wait so long and half the time the dvd's were broken in half. Awful. It's the same price as Blockbuster and I have less of a wait and yet to have a problem with any movies.
    Thanks for the heads up on Netflix. I was thinking of them because they advertise their turnaround time as 1 day to Blockbuster's 2-3 day, but if they don't deliver, then I'll stay where I am.

I really appreciate the advice, kimrs.

Balllllooooooooon!!!!! MrsMarcusWelby's Avatar
    Bewitched - too cute.. won't win any academy awards.. but good for a smile! I loved it (absolutely a chick flick)
    Sahara - not my speed, but I could see where a lot of people would like it
    Merchant of Venice w/Al Pacino - I liked it... but it is classic Shakesphere so if you don't like that you won't like the movie!

Balllllooooooooon!!!!! MrsMarcusWelby's Avatar
    Florimel I absolutely adored the firefly series as well as Serenity

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith Pretty good - liked how it was all tied up at the end and everything explained.

Kingdom of Heaven Not bad...Love Orlando Bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    Thanks for the heads up on Netflix. I was thinking of them because they advertise their turnaround time as 1 day to Blockbuster's 2-3 day, but if they don't deliver, then I'll stay where I am.
    I have used Netflix for about 3 years now and I myself have never had a problem with them. My turnaround is approximately 1-2 days, depending on the mail (although I hear this depends on where you live in relation to a distribution center). I personally prefer Netflix because not only do they have all the newly released "blockbusters," they also have a pretty great and extensive selection of indie and foreign films, which I love. They also have lots of good music, television series, and documentaries available too.

So what have I rented lately? Let's see if I can make this brief:

Batman Begins
    Christopher Nolan directing Christian Bale in a darker, more realistic version of a comic character I love? With Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Rutger Hauer there to lend support? It doesn't get any better than this for this geeked-out SFG! It not only looks good on paper, but it works onscreen too.

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
    Here's an example of a movie that, with Tim Burton at the helm and Johnny Depp as the star, sounded like a dream team for SFG and ended up a nightmare. Well, that's overstating it, I loved the child actors, the moments between Charlie and his family, the Duloc/It's a Small World homage, and Danny Elfman's soundtrack is truly inspired--but Depp is way too Michael Jacksony as Wonka. Made me want to go back and watch the Gene Wilder version, and Edward Scissorhands instead.

Land of the Dead
    Romero's latest movie in the Dead series is a social satire masquerading as a horror movie--but that doesn't mean there isn't some gruesomely great moments and fab FX. Zombie heaven! (Tip: Get the director's cut, it's gooier!)

A Tale of Two Sisters
    Fantastic Korean psychological thriller masquerading as a Ringu-esque supernatural horror. Stylish and slick, the visuals are haunting and will disorient you, before pimp slapping you with an unexpected twist (or two, or three). Be warned, you might have to think a little bit to figure out the end, but it's well worth the effort.

Dot the i
    Ambitious little thriller that has Memento/Oldboy/Usual Suspects pretentions, but is a wee bit too clever and self-referential for its own good. Falls short of the mark, but is still a fun flick. And hey...Gael Garcia Bernal, proving he is just as foyne speaking in English as he is in Spanish.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I have had the misfortune to rent a series of awful movies.

The Ammiytville horror- Horror or snore? I read the book and this movie was said to have followed it ??

Memento- I couldn't mae any sense out of it

Tangled- Ashley Judd. What was i thinking?

White noise- ??

there are a few more but I also saw a few good ones. There was....

Hide and seek ( i liked it )

Saw- creepy but I liked it

House of wax- Good slasher flick

I know there are more but I am totally braindead ( prolly too many movies ) but I do agree about the Willy Wonka/ MJ thing. The previews creep me out.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Bewitched- It was cute, not spell binding (tee hee) but who expected it to be? Good light film, little thought required.

Star Wars III- I was very into it until the last 20 minutes or so, with the exception of how often the chapters turned over after a scene that offered very little. The ending was awful. I was looking for more of an explaination as to how the Empire began but all I got was a clip of the Death Star under construction? What is up with that?

+ Reply to Thread