+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

I finally saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I know some of the die-hard fans have their complaints, but I really enjoyed it. Since Adams himself was behind most of the changes in adapting his story from radio play to books to TV to film, I think the movie was as loyal as it could possibly be in its various incarnations. Some really inspired casting; I especially loved Alan Rickman as depressed robot Marvin, and hey Stephen Fry!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

The Interpreter - not great, but not bad. NYC locations, including filming in the U.N. added to my enjoyment. Well acted. I sometimes found a bit of confusion about who was who as far as the characters were concerned. The dark lighting for many of the scenes probably contributed to that.

The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg Marvelous! I happened upon this baseball documentary while browsing Blockbuster. It was touching, informative, and funny -- picture Mandy Patimkin singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" in Yiddish.
    If you love the history of baseball, this is a must see!

Vera Drake Wonderful! Exquisitely acted and a heartbraking story. Although set London, it reminded me once more of how things were in the U.S. before Roe v Wade.

Crash It was terrific! Keeps you guessing and thinking well after you finish watching it!

Mind Hunters Just rented and saw this one too. It also keeps you guessing and it has a totally unpredictable (IMHO) ending!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    We also saw an AWESOME movie that I believe won the Grand Prix at Cannes, the Korean film Oldboy. It is billed as a revenge flick, which it certainly is in spades, but I also find it akin to riddle films like Memento or The Machinist, in that much of the film is spent with a disoriented protagonist struggling to find out why he is in his hopeless predicament.
    This movie is incredible. I think it goes much deeper than that a revenge film or even a scatterplot film with puzzle pieces meant to be put together. The film is based in Korea for a reason. Think of the country's shameful past. Then think of that scene at the end of the movie where the female character hypnotizes the main character and tells him to forget the "monster" of the past and to move on. That's some powerful stuff.

A hollywood remake would be completely missing the point of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    Think of the country's shameful past. Then think of that scene at the end of the movie where the female character hypnotizes the main character and tells him to forget the "monster" of the past and to move on.
    I take this statement back. My assessment was far off. All countries have certain dark parts in their history. I'm certainly not qualified to comment on Korea's, if they have any at all. I must have been thinking (dreaming?) of something else while watching Oldboy.

Perhaps it's the film's weirdness that's getting to me.

Over the weekend we rented House of D, written and directed by David Duchovny. He also played a role in the movie, but it truly stars Tea Leoni (his r/l wife), Robin Williams and a gifted young actor named Anton Yelchin. It is a thought-provoking movie with some humor sprinkled throughout. My husband and I both really liked it.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Just finished
    Final Cut: great movie, but ended way too quickly. I was totally going "is that it?"
    The Longest Yard: so bad, stick with the original
    Monster-in-Law: hate jane Fonda LOVED the movie, I actually teared up a little at the end.

Pretty disappointing horror selection on the movie channels this weekend for Halloween, so we rented Land of the Dead. I liked the premise, but the movie itself was bland and the acting was horrid. The last zombie flick I watched before this one was 2004's Dawn of the Dead, which is a thousand percent better and made this one look even worse.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Recently rented Hide and Seek with Deniro and Dakota Fanning. One word...horrible!!

I belong to Blockbuster online, so I get 3 movies every weekend.

Sin City-hard to follow the timelines, but INCREDIBLE movie. Amazing cast! I bet every comic book fan was in Heaven! Probably the best comic book movie I have ever seen!

House of Wax-very surprised I didn't hate it. Not too scary and some of the better acting for a horror movie.

Batman Begins-I wish every Batman movie could be this good. Loved Christian Bale and Liam Neesom. I hope the series continues!

+ Reply to Thread