+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

My legs get weary looking at flicks and often I just grab a few sure choices and beat a hasty retreat, this last time being such a time

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
    A Guide For The Married Man
    The Trouble With Angels
    The Thomas Crown Affair (Steve McQueen/Faye Dunaway version) Haven't seen the remake, is it worth seeing?
    Silent Running

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    I like movies that make me feel uncomfortable. However, I'm longing for something cheesy and over-the-top romantic right now. Any suggestions on what to rent?
    How about splitting the difference and going for an unconventional 'romance' like the one captured so nicely in A New Leaf, starring Walter Matthau as rich snob gone broke who's only hope (seeing as he knows how to do nothing more than be a rich snob) is marrying for money. Co-stars Elaine ("Heavens!") May (scriptwriter, director too?) in a most wonderful role.

Unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    How about splitting the difference and going for an unconventional 'romance' like the one captured so nicely in A New Leaf, starring Walter Matthau as rich snob gone broke who's only hope (seeing as he knows how to do nothing more than be a rich snob) is marrying for money. Co-stars Elaine ("Heavens!") May (scriptwriter, director too?) in a most wonderful role.

Unforgettable.
    Yes, indeed. A New Leaf was hysterically funny. Do you remember the scene with Renee Taylor in the swim suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    Yes, indeed. A New Leaf was hysterically funny. Do you remember the scene with Renee Taylor in the swim suit?
    No, you caught me in brain freeze, Florimel. One of Matthau's too few potentials?

I'm going to have to seek this out myself. Its been too long. Thankfully searching something else out reminded me of this when I said "Heavens" for some reason and connected with Elaine once more.

The Thomas Crown Affair (Steve McQueen/Faye Dunaway version) Haven't seen the remake, is it worth seeing?
    I thought it was great, but then I haven't seen the original. I find people are disappointed with remakes if they like the original.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    I thought it was great, but then I haven't seen the original. I find people are disappointed with remakes if they like the original.
    Yeah, that's all too often the case, and one of the reasons I generally don't see the remakes...strike that...I don't seek them out. I couldn't even tell you who starred in the remade version of The Thomas Crown Affair, I just remembered that there was one.

The thing that actually happens with me when they announce a remake of a classic coming out is I seek out the original to view again.

Question, and thanks in advance in addition to thanks for responce: Just as an indicator, how much of the movie you saw involved the potential (developing) romance between Thomas Crown and insurance woman? Was that what she was in the remake?

I'm a strong advocate for older films, partly because of the tremendous entertainment value for those that haven't seen them, partly because they seem most inclined to pop into my head.

Yeah, that's all too often the case, and one of the reasons I generally don't see the remakes...strike that...I don't seek them out. I couldn't even tell you who starred in the remade version of The Thomas Crown Affair, I just remembered that there was one.
    I believe it was Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo (whatever happened to her?) that starred in the remake.

Question, and thanks in advance in addition to thanks for responce: Just as an indicator, how much of the movie you saw involved the potential (developing) romance between Thomas Crown and insurance woman? Was that what she was in the remake?
    You know, it's been so long since I saw it that it's not 100% clear- I just recall liking it and I keep meaning to borrow it from my Dad to watch again. I don't usually rewatch movies so... I do remember there was a romance there, but I don't think it was pervasive. I tend to like action/suspence/intrigue more than romance, so a purely romance movie would NOT impress me. Hope that helps.

Those two sound like good choices for the roles, JenniferInCO.

The movie was no romance originally, but Russo's character's (in original) role had her having to make a choice at the end. Was she going to follow her heart, or do her job, a not insignificant decision.

Thanks for the tip, Leftcoaster. I love Walter Matthau, so I'll definitely check it out.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Not quite movies that I rented, but how about movies that I bought? Last night, I cleaned up on DVD's I've wanted in my collection: Fight Club, Old School () and--my personal favorite purchase--the Bourne Identity/Bourne Supremacy extended versions two-pack. How can you not like a movie where the fight scenes feature guys getting whacked in the throat, karate-style? Answer: You can't. It's a Bourne-o-rama!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread