+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    Also rented Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, but that's for my "I-turn-into-a-10-year-old-boy-when-I-pick-out-movies" husband. I didn't watch it, but he laughed a lot. This is coming from the man who loves Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood
    I didn't like "National Treasure." Terribly predictable even for an action/adventure, Indiana Jones knockoff. But I did find "Harold and Kumar" to be an enjoyable buddy flick and "Don't be a Menace" a clever satire of popular 90s ghetto movies. You underestimate your husband's taste.

I watched some more movies this week (a lot of them mainly older, an Oscar winner and two cult favorites) and now I am about to give my critiques on them.

Shakespeare in Love

Hmmm, my mom and my sister wanted me to watch this one since the three of us have a fascination with Shakespeare so I figured, "ah sure." Well, the beginning I was a bit iffy on (I thought the theatre that Shakespeare owned was called The Globe? I found my English class brain was kicking in) but then within the second hour it picked up. Gwenyth Paltrow of course did a fabulous job in this movie and the ending kind of tugged at my heartstrings. Overall, I didn't know what to think of the movie. I didn't love it, nor did I despise it...it might take a second viewing for me to really get it.

This is Spinal Tap

The rocker in me wanted to see this movie and oh boy, I was glad I did. Absolutely hilarious movie. I found myself laughing pretty hard into the wee hours of the night. It's a spot on parody of the documentaries and all the heavy metal bands of the 70's/80's. I would definitely watch this one again. As one friend said that has seen this movie, "after you see it, you will walk around with a British accent for days."

Phantom of the Paradise

No, that's not a typo. There is such a movie as Phantom of the Paradise. My mom saw this in the 70's and she said I would like it. Basically, it's a rock opera adaptation of Phantom of the Opera straight out of the 70's about an aspiring musician who has his music stolen from a producer and is now on a hunt for vengence. What can I say? It's a really weird movie but nonetheless compelling. This is one of those movies that could only have been done in the 70's because it has this sort of camp value to it (part of it reminded me of The Rocky Horror Picture Show) and something tells me that I will likely end up watching this movie every Halloween night. I also think that this movie must have some cult-like following :. In summary, I liked it actually (being the musical freak that I am).
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Funny coincidence! I watched Hide and Seek last night. For me, it wasn't a WOW!!! experience. More like a "what the hell?" experience. I liked it well enough up until the climax - the atmosphere was creepy and Dakota Fanning did a good job. Unfortunately I saw the ending coming and I hate it when I can outsmart screenwriters. (It doesn't happen very often.) It was probably supposed to be a clever, M. Night Shamaylan (spelling?) ending, but to me, it just seemed trite and predictable. Anyway, it was an okay movie. Nothing more, nothing less. In my humble opinion, of course.
    I agree with you. It was okay. I didn't like the gaping holes either. Like:

spoiler:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I didn't understand why his office really wasn't set up and the book not written in? Wasn't he the regular dad half the time, when he wasn't being Charlie? During his lucid moments wouldn't he have noticed that? Also, when the caseworker came in, the flashing lights of the police car were gone, but a few minutes earlier they were there. I was actually expecting a *ghost story*- not a psychological thriller. I didn't understand why the neighbor was so creepy either- there was no purpose in that and his nervous nelly wife

Jen, I used to go out with a guy who said he and his best friend saw Phantom of the Paradise 13 or 14 times in the theatre when it first came out. I think they may have comprised the cult following for this movie.

I hated Hide and Seek. Mainly for the reasons Sunnyone said. Not because I couldn't figure out the ending - I didn't, but mostly because I couldn't believe it was so predictible, as geek said. Very disappointing.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I rented
    Assault on Precinct 13 - predictable but we liked it

Darkness - I didn't watch - hubby said it was s.l.o.w.

Million Dollar Baby - I thought it was going to be a chick 'Rocky' but I must say, I really enjoyed it. Good movie.

Little Black Book - in a moment of pms weakness I liked it - not loved it , I didnt hate it either
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I watched "Dear Frankie" last night. Wow...what an excellent movie. Such a unique plot and great acting in it (it also doesn't hurt that Gerard Butler is in this movie ). I genuinely did not want this movie to end it was just that good.

Run, don't walk, to see this movie.
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Jen love your purple dude there (too funny)

I didn't rent this movie but, saw it on the IFC and LOVED it. Was called Door to Door with William Macy (he won an emmy)

I just loved it. Went to a party the other night and was talking about it and it turned out it's been around for years and a few people there were saying are you kidding! You JUST saw that!!

I highly recommend it!!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

I rented Italian for Beginners - a danish movie with British subtitles, I specify British because its loud and clear even if it is just in writing. I enjoyed it, although the sense of humour is much different it was funny and sad and moving all at the same time.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    I haven't been here in a while so here's the ones I've seen over the last while..

eh, it was ok....wasn't impressed, I think I was a bit too tired while watching this one.

I liked this one more than I thought I would, surprisingly very good.

I don't know why all the bad reviews, but personally I liked it, had a bit of vibe from The Omen in it!

eh, overall a disappointment.

Once again Hillary Swank is so impressive in this drama, however it is just not my cup of tea.

allright I watched it, and maybe liked it a ''teeny'' bit! ''runs away''!

Fun little teen movie, cute story.

It was ok, has sort of a dark humour to it.

I just finished watching Closer and it left me feeling a bit torn. The acting performances were overall great - especially Natalie Portman in her greatest role yet - but the coldness and cynicism of it all bothered me. I suppose I'm too much in love to be able to agree with some of the points the movie made. Also, the characters annoyed the hell out of me; I can't say how many times I wanted to yell "Will you just grow up and start thinking with your brain instead of your genitalia?" to pretty much everyone involved. Actually, I think I did at one point. Still, a very strong ensemble film. I like movies that make me feel uncomfortable. However, I'm longing for something cheesy and over-the-top romantic right now. Any suggestions on what to rent?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread