+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Bridget Jones, Edge of Reason. I nearly peed my pants laughing at Colin Firth and Hugh Grant's fight.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

High Art, which I just loved. I didn't know Ally Sheedy had it in her.

Also, Run Lola Run, which I also loved, although I learned I really prefer subtitles to voiceovers. Blech at voiceovers.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Bridget Jones, Edge of Reason. I nearly peed my pants laughing at Colin Firth and Hugh Grant's fight.
    I love that fight too AJane! The fight in the first movie was funny, but this one was even better! I love Hugh Grant's line right before (something like): "Oh no. It's not possible." It's so uncool and stupid looking, like most actual fights!

I didn't actually rent a movie, but I watched Intimacy through On Demand, so that's sort of like renting for free Really great character study - makes you think about relationships and what intimacy actually is. It's about a man and a woman who meet every Wednesay afternoon and have sex - they barely talk and know nothing about each other's lives.... until he gets curious and follows her when she leaves his flat. It's stars Mark Rylance, who I loved in Angels and Insects (he's the reason I watched this film in the first place). Not for everyone, but absorbing Plus, Mark Rylance has such a sexy voice.... and (I now know from watching this movie) quite a nice bum as well

Edited to add: ITA about dubbing Amanda. I find it so distracting, I can't even watch a film if it's dubbed. I happened upon Life is Beautiful on, I think, Bravo, not all that long ago. It was the dubbed version My Italian is passable, but even if I can't understand the language, I would rather have subtitles. With someone else's voice giving the lines, you miss the emotion the actor had in the scene. Plus, it's just so cheesy. It reminds me of all the Godzilla movies my brother and I watched as a kid
    Last edited by Critical; 05-19-2005 at 03:36 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I hate to admit this but I don't think we had rented a movie in at least a year and I asked my husband to go get "Meet the Fockers". It was just what I needed to lighten up a bit. Very funny.

Closer. What a bunch of screwed up people...and it didn't make me like Julia Roberts any better.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I recently saw:

Taxi
    Shall We Dance?
    Cellular
    The Terminal

In Good Company. I had zero expectations for this one, and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. They could've picked anyone to play Dennis Quaid's role, but Topher Grace and Scarlett Johannson had great synergy. Malcolm McDowell has a great uncredited cameo as Quaid and Grace's ruthless CEO - he looks and acts divinely eccentric and evil, as usual. Well worth the rental fee.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I rented National Treasure and it was probably the best movie I have seen in a while. Action packed and filled with suspense. Sure there are some, okay many, factual mistakes but it doesn't take away from the overall movie. I highly, highly recommend this movie to anybody who loves action. I am not a huge action lover, but I still loved it. Non-stop action. It is one of the few movies I would watch again. Maybe I am going to have to go out and buy it.

Anyway, the DVD in itself is a treasure hunt as you have to solve clues to find all the hidden scenes. However if you don't want to go through it all, I have the password:

Go to the notebook on the menu screen and type in the code
    Click to see Spoiler:
    and then hit master code, and bam - all the extra features.

Enjoy!

Let's see, what have we rented recently...

Team America--LOVED IT, but then I'm not only a big South Park fan, I am a Stone/Parker fan. Cannibal: The Musical! anyone?

The Aviator--BORED ME, that is until Hughes started getting really bonkers, then it was slightly more interesting and repulsive all at once. Cate Blanchett is wonderful in it though, she deserved that Oscar.

The Incredibles--SURPRISED ME with its maturity and wit. Really more than I expected, very good, and how cool is it that Sarah Vowell plays Violette?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I don't usually rent movies but I did over the holiday:

Closer - Enjoyed this movie, lots of discussion afterwards.
    National Treasure - So so, I could have waited for it on cable.
    She Hate Me - Okay, the focus wasn't what I anticipated so I liked that twist, slow in some parts but provoked some interesting discussion topics in the end.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

+ Reply to Thread