+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Blade:Trinity was a nice bit of entertainment. I'm even reconsidering my long-standing state of blahs about Ryan Reynolds, which started over a decade ago when he was in the Canadian pre-teen drama "Fifteen". I did feel he was doing a good impersonation of Jason Lee, the skateboarder turned actor.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

The last two weeks have been great for me, rental-wise. No bad movies.

The Good
    Bourne Supremacy- The movie picks up midway. Almost as good as the first.
    Limony Snicket’s Series of Unfortunate Events – It’s no Harry Potter but what visuals! It’s like Northfork for children.
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Another film with an interesting visual style (the futuristic 50s?). Perfect casting of Law, Paltrow and Ribisi.
    Scarface (1932) – Comparable to the vastly more popular remake. I’ll take it over the DePalma version. Pacino’s Cuban accent always bugged me, anyway.
    Stork Club (1946) and The Perils of Pauline (1947) - A couple of Betty Hutton B-level musicals. Her performances are like a mix of Jim Carrey, Bette Midler and Donald O’Connor … on speed.
    In a Lonely Place (1955), The Harder They Fall (1956) – I’m going through a Bogart phase.
    Kagemusha (1983) - Kurosawa’s latter movies seem to overflow with wisdom. I think if he made Ikiru during this time, it would’ve been a better picture.

The Great
    Touching the Void – An unbelievable-but-true mountain climbing story.
    The Station Agent – What do you get when a dwarf crosses a Cuban-American and a middle-aged white woman in a small town called Newfoundland? A low key, observational dramedy about handling loneliness.
    Kiki’s Delivery Service – An animated movie about a young witch setting off to the city in training to be independent. It’s more real than any live-action movie for children.
    Taxi Driver (1976) – A movie like this is the reason DeNiro can make a million “Meet the Fockers.”
    The General (1926) – Buster Keaton was called “the great stoneface” not because he couldn’t act, but because he could convey the emotion of resignation so well. You know he’s gonna get the girl in the end. But you wouldn’t know it, looking at the pessimism in his face.
    The War of the Worlds (1953) – Entertaining on so many levels. Funny, suspenseful, action-packed, absurd, thought-provoking. The sci-fi B-movies it inspired (Mars Attacks, Independence Day) pale in comparison. I have my doubts about the Spielberg remake.
    Throne of Blood (1958) – Who knew Shakespeare would be this much fun? I’d place it second (after Seven Samurai) on my all-time Kurosawa list.

Ladder 49- I really liked it
    Suspect Zero-Was a good movie, took me awhile to figure it all out though.

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    The Station Agent – What do you get when a dwarf crosses a Cuban-American and a middle-aged white woman in a small town called Newfoundland? A low key, observational dramedy about handling loneliness.
    Loved this movie happyblue! It's been on Encore a bunch of times over the last few months. I found myself watching it over and over again. I wish more movies like this would get made. I found it absolutely mesmerizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I'm even reconsidering my long-standing state of blahs about Ryan Reynolds, which started over a decade ago when he was in the Canadian pre-teen drama "Fifteen".
    I remember him from Fifteen too! I've never been a huge fan, but I started revising my opinion of him when I found out he's engaged to Alanis Morrisette. I figure she's a pretty smart, cool chick and she wouldn't go out with him if he was an idiot. Oh, I also started liking him more when I saw those pics of him shirtless after he bulked up for Blade: Trinity
    Last edited by Critical; 05-01-2005 at 06:22 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fresh.

I didn't rent this, but I caught it on Starz Cinema. It was exceptional. Really, really moving, but not in an emotionally manipulative way. Not at all happy or upbeat, but powerful as hell. If any of you have a chance to watch it, you should.

Hello Amanda

I just watched Being Julia with Annette Bening and I was surprised at how much I liked it. It was a tiny bit Dangerous Liason-y,but in an enjoyable way.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - I enjoyed this, though I much prefer the books (I just had to consider it a different beast). The cinematography and FX were really quite nice, I even liked the anim in the title sequence. I see Jim Carrey thinks he's Peter Sellers in Lolita, though.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

My daughter works in a video rental store, and brought home Phantom for me over the weekend. I've watched it three times already, and will probably make it only movie number three I've ever bought. I saw the play in Los Angeles years ago, and was afraid it wouldn't transfer to the big screen very well. I was wonderfully surprised. The music brings tears to my eyes every.single.time. Good times.

I also saw Lemony Snicketts, and thought it was really fun.
    Last edited by roseskid; 05-03-2005 at 12:11 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    I saw a couple of movies..

WALKING TALL

This one was an ok action/revenge movie....a bit cheesy at times but entertaining nonetheless.

FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX

Loved this one!! great ride!!! Kept me on the edge of my seat!!

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    The War of the Worlds (1953) – Entertaining on so many levels. Funny, suspenseful, action-packed, absurd, thought-provoking. The sci-fi B-movies it inspired (Mars Attacks, Independence Day) pale in comparison. I have my doubts about the Spielberg remake.

Yeah the original one was a good movie......I am looking forward to the remake though.

+ Reply to Thread