+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

We rented Hotel Rwanda this weekend too.
    I agree with Miss F, I'd definitely recommend it.

Blockbuster was out of Suspect Zero and The Woodsman which I wanted to rent, so I'm hoping to get to see both next weekend.

I watched Hotel Rwanda and The Woodsman. I agree Hotel Rwanda is a very powerful movie. The Woodsman gave me the creeps, the story of a depressed child molester
    (Kevin Bacon) is too real in light of todays headlines.

I liked Ocean's 12, but not as much as Ocean's 11. Julia Roberts looked bad, real bad.

Yesterday I rented House of flying Daggers which was a very special movie and now one of my favourites. The acting was great and overall HOFD was a humble masterpiece. And I agree with you Noreen, Ocean's 12 wasn't as good as Ocean's 11.
    [ all we need is love and peace ] [ ]

I just watched Bad Education directed by Pedro Almodóvar. If you like foreign films with subtitles and a little film noir you might like this. Lots of surprises, plus Gael García Bernal! The movie may not be for everyone though.
    Last edited by justCurious; 04-18-2005 at 10:07 AM.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    i just watched Girl With A Pearl Earring - it was mesmerizing.

The Notebook
    I watched this movie for the first time last weekend and I swear I have never cried so hard in a movie! SO ROMANTIC! I absolutely loved it!
    Collateral
    Intense. Really. That is all I have to say about this movie.

I rented In My Skin, a powerful French film exploring issues of body image and obsession through a seemingly normal woman, an intelligent executive in a loving relationship, who nevertheless descends into a dark world of self-mutilation. Incredible acting, but deeply, deeply disturbing. No one else wanted to watch this with me, so I watched it ALONE in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT which was a bad, bad move. As a horror fan, I have a high tolerance for cinematic gore and graphic violence, but I had a lot of trouble watching this--I seriously had a cringe on my face for a solid 90 minutes. The most troubling and sinister thing about this movie is that it's not really a "horror" film, in the traditional sense. It's Esther who is victimizing herself, not some chainsaw-wielding wacko--which is far more frightening and insidious and itself an interesting comment on how women in modern society have come to objectify their own bodies.

On the lighter side, we also watched Criminal (good) and Sideways (great!!!). It was like a double feature of two of my favorite character actors (John C. Reilly, Paul Giamatti) in small, smart, snappily entertaining films.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    Julia Roberts looked bad, real bad.
    I think Julia was made to look less attractive on purpose. This had to do with plot developments in the second half of the film (a half which was arguably better than the entire first movie, Ocean's 11, in my opinion).

I've seen many movies the last month, which meant less reality TV.

The Good
    "Ocean's 12"
    "The Woodsman" - I agree with you Noreen, it's a very relevant movie.
    "Primer" - Low-budget film-du-jour. It's Memento meets Pi, only it's a hundred times more confusing than either.
    "A Man Escaped" (1956)- A true-to-life Shawshank Redemption story set in a WWII prison.
    "Bus 174" - A gritty doc about an eventful hijacking in Brazil. It's A Dog Day's Afternoon only more intense.
    "Dogville" - Von Trier's 3-hour bashing of America is hard to sit straight through. But it's compulsively watchable in 30-minute sittings.
    "Infernal Affairs"
    "Angels in America"
    Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights" and "Modern Times"
    Buster Keaton's "Cameraman," "Spite Marriage," and "Free and Easy" - I found Keaton's lesser works just as good as Chaplin's best works.
    "A Night at the Opera" (1935)
    "Them" (1954) - Better than the other black-and-white, sci-fi flick (The Thing From Another World) I viewed a month before.
    "The Killing" (1956) - Kubrick's attempt at film noir is a heist movie in the same vein (and league) as Asphalt Jungle.
    "The Maltese Falcon" (1941) - It's so good it actually decreased my like for the recent Sin City movie.
    "The Magnificent Ambersons" (1942) - A classic that really needs to be restored and released on dvd.
    "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942) - A good musical. An even greater 30-minute doc on James Cagney on the second disc.

The Okay
    "House of Flying Daggers" - It's too sentimental to be an action flick or a serious drama. Whatever it is, I guess it's not my thing. Some nice eye-candy though.
    "Nosferatu" (1922) - A Murnau classic that's not in the same league as Sunrise or Faust.
    "The Notebook" - The scenes with the old couple were touching. The scenes with the younger couple... not so touching. A romance that's too conventional for my taste.

The Bad
    "I Spit on Your Grave" (1978) - It's one of those movies you see just to see it. Now I wish to forget it. (See The Woodsman on how to handle sensitive subject matter in a smarter way.)
    Last edited by happyblue; 04-20-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    Latin Kings of Comedy
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Birth
    30+ Nicole Kidman believes a 10 year old boy that was born at the same time her husband died is his reincarnation, or I should say the boy convinces her he her husband.

The movie is slow. the people show no emotion, and the camera hangs on faces for long periods of time. It's more like a play than a movie.

What exactly a 30 year old, rich and engaged woman is supposed to do with a 10 year old husband never becomes clear. One scene shows them in her bathtub, but it's handled well.

+ Reply to Thread