+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

The Night of the Hunter (1955),
    This is one of the creepiest movies you'll ever see! I'm surprised it's not often mentioned in the same breath as Psycho. Heck, I'll go one step further and say it's better than Psycho. Every scene is meticulously shot, with great use of shadows and interesting angles (some with German-expressionism influence). The scene with Robert Mitchum explaining his tattooed knuckles was later lifted by Spike Lee for his movie Do the Right Thing. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but let's just say it's like every bad dream you've ever had.

We rented Ladder 49 last night - I really, really liked it
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I have been wanting to see Night of the Hunter especially after reading an article in the paper on the weekend about it. Considering it was released 50 years ago and still packs a cinematic punch, I really want to see it. Just the fact that Robert Mitchum had 'love' and 'hate' tatooed on his fingers in this, and has been ripped off by every badboy ever since--even Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons got into the act--got me interested. When the movie was released, it didnt do well, and it hasn't been until lately that it got the respect it deserved.

I hope I didn't raise your expectations too high, cablejockey. I went into NOTH rather low key, despite reading a sparkling review on allmovie.com. In fact, I almost bailed after the first ten minutes because the opening scenes seemed so strange. Luckily, I didn't.

Speaking of Simpsons parodies....

Annie Get Your Gun (1950),
    I'm currently going through a musical phase. I saw My Fair Lady and Umbrellas of Cherbourg last week. (The former is a long enjoyable ride. The latter is a breathtaking, heartbreaking romance.) The musical of this week is a very loose biopic about a legendary female sharpshooter. It could've been about anything really. The absolutely infectious musical numbers and Betty Hutton's fantastic performance alone make this movie special. Hutton does more facial contortions than Jim Carrey, who I would say is her modern day equivalent. Her hillbilly act in the early scenes uncannily resemble the Cletus character in The Simpsons.

Memorable show tunes include "There's No Business Like Show Business," "Doin' What Comes Natur'lly" and "Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)." All have endless replay value.

The only things that keeps this movie from being a bonafide classic are the jokes coming at the expense of Native Americans and the cheesy, stand-by-your-man ending.
    Last edited by happyblue; 04-05-2005 at 08:09 PM.

That sounds interesting happyblue, I haven't seen Annie in years, and poor Betty Hutton has been all but forgotten. Old movies are still very entertaining, but, as you say, stuff that was acceptable in their time just doesn't stand up today.

Kao
    I watched "The Incredibles" the other night. Is it wrong of me that enjoyed that baby flaming up the way it did?

Best line of the movie:

"I'm sorry, but your baby has "special neeeeeds!" LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    I haven't seen Annie in years, and poor Betty Hutton has been all but forgotten.
    There's an interesting backstory about the movie. The studio couldn't retain exclusive rights to it. The songwriter, Irving Berlin, held onto it until he died. Then it was past on to his benefactors who then put a high price on it. It took Warner to finally release it on video in 2001.

So, "Poor Betty Hutton" is right. Her genius performance in AGYG had been kept away from the public for almost 30 years!

The song "Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)" was used in a Nike commercial with Mia Hamm and Michael Jordan. So maybe she'll start to gain some recognition.

Then thereís the Judy Garland angle. The famous story goes that Garland was originally cast to play the part of Annie but she dropped out due to her increasing drug problem. The DVD amazingly contains outtakes of a burnt out Garland performing a couple of numbers. Itís disturbing to watch.

Hutton's backstory is also interesting. It reads like a typical Hollywood story. The rise from poverty, to the rise to super-stardom, to the slight fall from grace, to the comeback, to hitting rock bottom, to the redemptive return, and finally, to retirement. It could turn up as a movie feature one day.

Back to the main topic. Finding Neverland gets a . It's a very light re-telling about the creation of the original Peter Pan, which was at first a theater play. There's a nice balance of light and heavy subjects. So, it won't bore adults or children for long stretches.
    Last edited by happyblue; 04-06-2005 at 04:28 PM.

I also enjoyed Finding Neverland, happyblue. I love Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp and they did not disappoint me in this movie, which could easily have been saccharine, but never goes over the edge of sentimentality. I still cried throughout the whole movie anyway. I'm sensitive like that.

I also watched What the Bleep Do We Know expecting something entirely different than what I got. Descriptions billed it as a cool documentary mixed with traditional movie story-telling, meditating on Quantum Physics and the meaning of life. Instead, I got new age propaganda for the followers of Ramtha and some baaad animation.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 04-08-2005 at 05:32 AM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    We rented Up Town Girls last weekend. It was cute. Love the little girl and how Brittnay interacts with her.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Irma Vep. Oh god, so good. Fun, cutting, and intelligent enough to not hit you over the head with sentimentalism, unlike so many movies from its subgenre.

It's official: Maggie Cheung is my new girl-crush.

+ Reply to Thread