+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Shaun of the Dead

It had some funny moments, such as when Shaun meets the first zombie and doesn't realize it. But the best part for me was in the special features when they had these funny little bits to fill in some of the plot holes. It's good to see that some moviemakers don't take themselves too seriously.

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    We have been so busy with moving and house remodeling that we have been unable to go to the movies for months. But the last two weeks, we finally got to relax and rent some flicks. We rented The Village (decent), The Notebook (I didn't have enough kleenex in hand), Cellular (cheesy), and The Terminal (decent).

RTV Fan, you didn't like Ocean's 12? I thought it was pretty good. I think the first one was more suspenseful, and the second one was funnier. I just love these guys together as a group - fun to watch and very easy on the eyes.

Hi Charlie!!

I love the cast.......but yup the first one was more suspenseful, this one was a bit slower.

All Quiet on the Western Front - To truly enjoy this 1930 war classic, turn down the volume and play some Beethoven. It's really a silent film. When it was made, talking pictures were just starting to be the standard. It really shows in this movie because the naive tone of the dialogue almost clashes with the realism of the war scenes (which probably inspired Saving Private Ryan).

The Roaring Twenties - You can have your Pacino/DeNiro duo in "The Heat." I'll take Cagney and Bogart in this one, thank you.

White Heat - James Cagney's last classic gangster film. It's epic-like.

Psycho - This is the first time I've seen it from beginning to end. Every scene feels so familiar that it feels like it's the 8th or 9th time. For similar thrills, check out the 50s, French horror, "Eyes Without a Face."

George Washington - Make no mistake about it, this is an art film, through and through. Visual meaning is placed ahead of story. The naturalistic dialogue replaces conventional story-driven dialogue. Multiple viewings are required. Pick this up if you're up for something that's quietly meditative and great visual eye-candy. Also, pick up the director's more polished followup, "All the Real Girls."

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg,
    A splendid French musical starring a young Catherine Deneuve. This is different from the musicals I've seen. Instead of show-stopping musical numbers, emphasis is placed on the musical dialogue between characters. This may mean less memorable tunes, but more concentration on what's being said and how much feeling is put into the words. The story is a simple love story with a crushing (real) ending. Also, it's the most vividly colorful movie I've seen. It puts the bright visuals of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" to shame. Put down that copy of "The Notebook" on the store shelf and pick this up!
    Last edited by happyblue; 03-23-2005 at 12:12 AM.

Just rented the new version of the Stepford Wives.. With this cast I expected much better. The original version, which was supposed to be scary, was truly funny when it was supposed to be giving you the heebie-jeebies, but this one is supposed to be funny and just....isn't. If you find yourself tempted to rent this, go find the old version instead.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    Just rented the new version of the Stepford Wives.. With this cast I expected much better. The original version, which was supposed to be scary, was truly funny when it was supposed to be giving you the heebie-jeebies, but this one is supposed to be funny and just....isn't. If you find yourself tempted to rent this, go find the old version instead.
    I saw this one in the theatres when it first came out and thought it was terrible :phhht the only thing i liked about it was bette Midler....I wish they had made this one to be on the creepy side instead of funny....I do think the original one was a bit creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    Yes, this was an awful movie. My husband and I saw this at the "cheap seats" theater, and was happy that we didn't pay full price. We had terrible luck that week because we also went to see "Little Black Book" there, which was even worse! We definitely made some bad movie choices that week!

hubby was working so I had a chick-flick gorge-a-thon this weekend.

Win a date with Tad Hamliton - cute and totally predictable.

Chasing Liberty - cute and totally predictable

The Prince and Me - cute and funny, I liked the independant 'girl power' aspect

another one that was so totally forgetable that I can't recall the title or the actors :/

Girl with the Pearl Earring - omg I was bored to death. I like period pieces, I'm not expecting action or anything like that but this movie was S...L...O...W
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

House of Sand and Fog

Really strong performances by Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connelly. Overall I liked it, but definitely on the sad side.

Garden State I'm sorry but I didn't "get" this movie. I know some Garden State fans who hated Napoleon Dynamite. I loved ND, but they do not compare, completely different league. I was very bored with this movie. 1/5

How to Lose a guy in 10 Days OLDIE! It was cute, but nothing special. reminds me of the JLo cutesy movies. If you look closely, Kate Hudson even looks like a blonde version of JLo. No kidding! 2.5/5

Boogie Nights OLDIE too. Seen it before, think it's an outstanding movie. 4.5/5
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

um .... i think medal of honor.

+ Reply to Thread