+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I keep seeing you with a beret and a gauloise.
    If there was a beret-wearing smiley with its tongue sticking out, it would be placed right here => <=.

By the way, happyblue? Wow. I'm blown away by your knowledge of film.
    Thank you. But I must admit, I'm not as knowledgeable as you think. I'm watching most of these movies for the first time. Most of them are widely considered classic cinema.

I just finished watching The Passion of the Christ.
    Yes, I have put it off this long, for no other reason than I just didn't want
    to see the torture.
    The acting was great. The movie was well done. I wished I hadn't watched it.
    Sometimes your first instinct is right. It took me two sitting to get through it.

The Incredibles,
    The real action kicks in at the 45 minute mark, which was kind of disappointing. I thought this movie was aimed at children. Half the movie deals with adult issues (marriage, work). I didn't expect that, nor did I find it all that enjoyable, which, I guess, was the point. Regular life isn't all that enjoyable. Anyway, the animation is incredible and worthy of the accolades. (I personally prefer the artistry of something like Ghost in the Shell 2. But I really can't knock the technical brilliance of The Incredibles.) The villain is great, which is key for a good superhero movie. I found the main character to be a little dull, and the peripheral characters a little more interesting. It's no Spider Man 2, nor is it as amusing as The Tick animated series, but it's very good.
    Last edited by happyblue; 03-16-2005 at 02:19 AM.

From a fellow member of the Beret-Wearing and Gauloise-Smoking Society , I want to ask...how do you think GITS2 compared with the original, happyblue? Did you like it as much?

Because I don't know...for my part I was underwhelmed. I didn't see Ghost in the Shell (not very fond of cyberpunk anime...most of it seems to be all pretention and derivativeness and no heart), so maybe that's the problem, but Innocence seemed to be especially devoid of a storyline and rounded characters. And all the random quoting of famous dead people smacked of moody college freshman grandstanding to me, and made me think the writers for this thing were failed lit/philosophy majors. The only thing I liked were the visuals, which were indeed breathtaking.

Am I missing something? Should I give it another try? I saw it a couple of months ago with friends who are major anime buffs, and all of them raved about it, so I felt like I was the only one left in the dark. Huh.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 03-16-2005 at 02:24 PM.

FORT Fan
    I haven't rented any movies but the last movies I've seen were "The Village" "Gothika" and "Saw"

I saw Sideways last week and don't know what to make of it. I sort of liked it

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    how do you think GITS2 compared with the original, happyblue? Did you like it as much?
    I'll admit it's been ages since I've seen the original. What I do remember were the great visuals, and being so in awe of them that I forgave the pseudo-scientific ramblings and slow pace. GITS2 feels exactly how I remembered GITS1. So, to answer your question: The original will probably be just as tedious for you as Innocence. As for actually liking it, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Stunning visuals, but meandering dialogue and almost no story. I did respect its ambitious approach (of trying to be more than just an action movie), which is more than I can say about most movies today. I'm giving it a second viewing because there was a lot being said amongst all the psycho-babble. I was too focused on the great detail of the images. At the very least, it's yummy eye-candy.

The Band Wagon,
    A 50s musical that's usually mentioned in the same breath as Singin' in the Rain as one of the best musicals of all time. I don't see it. It's just good. The three standout numbers (the shoeshine diddy, That's Entertainment, and the film noir nod, The Girl Hunt) are as good as anything you'll see. But the stuff in between is so ordinary in comparison. I'm spoiled by the instant gratification of wall-to-wall showstopping numbers of Singin' in the Rain and Damn Yankees. When there's more talking than singing in musicals, I guess I tune out. A special edition DVD of The Band Wagon was released recently, in case you're interested in a Fred Astaire classic. Personally, I'm a Gene Kelly guy.

I rented I Heart Huckabees and I hearted it very, very much!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Porco Rosso,
    This has to be Miyazaki's strangest anime. It centres around a Bogart-type pig character who flies an airplane (custom-made in Italy) and hunts down pirates, who also fly planes. Disappointingly, that's all there is to it. There's no profound message like in his other movies (Nausicaa, Spirited Away). It's just Miyazaki going through the motions, which admittedly is still better than most animated movies. But it's definitely a lower-tier Miyazaki picture. I'd rank it behind "Count of Cagliostro" and "Castle in the Sky."
    Last edited by happyblue; 03-19-2005 at 04:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread