+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Last four I rented:

Catwomen: Just say NO
    Unforgiven: Worth watching, but I didn't think it was as good as Sixth Sense.
    Cellular: Lots of flaws, but I liked it.
    Angel of Death: Close to hating this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    Unforgiven: Worth watching, but I didn't think it was as good as Sixth Sense.
    I'm honestly not trying to be a smart aleck here, but do you mean Unbreakable? Because I wouldn't normally compare Unforgiven to The Sixth Sense.

At any rate, I liked both Unforgiven and Unbreakable and would be happy to discuss both or either.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm honestly not trying to be a smart aleck here, but do you mean Unbreakable? Because I wouldn't normally compare Unforgiven to The Sixth Sense.

At any rate, I liked both Unforgiven and Unbreakable and would be happy to discuss both or either.

I'm guessing it was Unbreakable, and yes I do think The Sixth Sense was better.

I don't know why it reminded me of The Sixth Sense, just the not of this world same type of movie, about a kid, I guess. Unbreakable works as a comparison.

EDIT: My brain skipped a couple of beats:
    The movie is: "The Forgotten" not "Unforgiven"
    Sorry, no wonder you were confused.
    Last edited by Noreen; 01-26-2005 at 01:08 AM.

We just returned Collateral, I Robot, and Cellular after watching them. Here's my opinion: I Robot was great. Awesome visual effects. Cellular was pretty good too. I can't stand Kim Basinger but she was excellent in this. Great twist. The only thing I didn't like was William H Macy's character. He seemed almost too girlie. Collateral was awesome. Tom Cruise played a very good bad guy. I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised. I will spoiler my favorite part of the movie:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Vincent (Cruise) and Max (Jamie Foxx) are sitting in a jazz club with Daniel who's one of the witnesses Vincent's been hired to kill. Vincent tells Daniel that if he can answer one jazz question, he and Max will walk and Daniel will get to leave. Here's the question. Where did Miles Davis get his jazz knowledge and talent from? Daniel answers that his parents sent him to Juliard School of Music in New York. Max breathes a sigh of relief believing he's right. (technically he was) Vincent stands up and shoots Daniel once in the head and twice in the chest. Vincent then gives the right answer. "Dropped out of Juliard after one year, tracked down Charlie Parker on 52nd Street who mentored him for the next 3 years."
    I don't know why that scene stuck out in my mind more than the others. I think it was just the way it happened. The whole movie was edge of your seat action. You didn't know what was coming next. It was great. All 3 movies are a must-see
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I bought 'The Count of Monte Cristo' yesterday after months of looking for it and I loved it. I saw it when it first came out and couldn't remember most of it, I just remember how much I liked it. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

I've been on a movie watching binge the last 2-3 weeks so thought I'd share my opinions on movies you've all probably already seen! I'm way behind the times!

First 2 with my main man, Denzel :

Man on Fire: WOW! I loved this! And Dakota Fanning was flawless.

The Manchurian Candidate: Denzel gave a good perfomance, Meryl Streep was wonderful, and Liev Schrieber totally creeped me out! I found that it didn't really pick up until about half way through, but then.....hold on to your hat! I actually got goosebumps a couple of times!

Next, Jack Nicholson:

Something's Gotta Give: A sweet movie I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Diane Keaton played the role to perfection and boy has Keanu Reeves grown mighty fine with age..........hubba, hubba!

About Schmidt: Should have watched this before Something's Gotta Give. I kept expecting Harry Sanborn to show up. However, the Dear Ndugu letters got me everytime.

Now, just fun to watch:

The Bourne Identity: Cool espionage action flick.......liked it alot

White Chicks: Meh.......alright......was a choice of my husbands (ahem).

About a Boy: Has the potential of turning me into a Hugh Grant fan after all. Loved Nicholas Hoult as Marcus........funny and endearing.

Unfaithful: Diane Lane was extraordinary and I'm sure the plot was great but I was overtaken with the task of sopping up my drool as soon as I laid eyes on Olivier Martinez.YOWZA!

Matchstick Men: How did I miss this movie up until now? I adore Nick Cage and this was laugh out loud funny. Highly recommended!

Okay, some movies that made my husband want to blow his brains out:

(Let me clarify that..........he likes a happy ending almost exclusively and after watching these next few movies in fairly rapid succession, well, he just wanted someone to drop a safe on him)

21 Grams: I've never seen anything like this one........and I loved it. The 3 leads played their roles convincingly and fluidly. Totally compelling. Several times I had the "OMG......now I know what's coming next" moment and watching it unfold was exquisitly painful. Did Naomi Watts win and Oscar for that? She deserved it.

Mystic River: I knew going into it that the movie couldn't hold true to the book 100% but it did a pretty good job. I thought Kevin Bacon's portrayal of Sean Devine was a bit too affected. Sean Penn was perfectly cast as Jimmy and Tim Robbins rocked it out as Davey Boyle. I just wanted to say to him though "Davey, dude, getting in the backseat was a remarkably bad idea the first time around, why go there again?!?" I still recommend the book over the movie hands down.

House of Sand and Fog: One word.......intense. Okay, more words actually. I literally gasped aloud at one point toward the end (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about) and then sobbed until it was over. Ben Kinglsy......OMG........defies description.

And Finally.........some movies I picked to stretch myself a bit:

The Hours: Superb! Although all 3 leading ladies were spot on, I was mesmerized by Julianne Moore. She was so restrained and I could feel her anguish. Acquainted me a little with a moment in time I never thought about before.

Boys Don't Cry: ....but I did. Heartwrenching portrayal of the desire for acceptance. Made me uncomfotable at times which led me to a better awareness of the shared humanity in all of us. Glad I watched it.

Far From Heaven: Once again, Julieanne Moore steals the show.

Breaking the Waves: Emily Watson did a magnificent job and played the naive and delicate Bess so convicingly........she was lovely. Ultimately a very sad movie with a few plot holes but the cinematography impressed me.

Monster: Charlize Theron........so much hopefullness and hopelessness all at once. I can't say I enjoyed watching this but I'm glad I did. The search for acceptance can make us do desparate things.

When I got to the end of the last few movies, I was ready to blow my own brains out! So sad . I'm ready for something happy now........going to watch Amelie tomorrow I think!

I stayed home sick the other day and watched two of my Netflix that have been collecting dust on my TV.

Big Fish and House of Sand and Fog.

I loved Big Fish, very sentimental, I totally related I have relatives that love to tell stories

House of Sand and Fog was just about the most depressing movie I have EVER seen. Very good, but not good to be sobbing with stuffy sinuses already...Huge migraine afterwards..

Looking forward to Wicker Park, Wimbledon, and Garden State!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0
    Breaking the Waves: Emily Watson did a magnificent job and played the naive and delicate Bess so convicingly........she was lovely. Ultimately a very sad movie with a few plot holes but the cinematography impressed me.
    Breaking the Waves is one of the most depressing films EVER, but well done.

Wow, you really saw some good ones. Amelie is pure joy, you'll love it. Enjoy!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Pauly Shore is Dead - in however many thousands of movies I have watched on this planet, I can almost say this is the worst one ever. His Futile attempt to go legit. Someone should really kill him for making this movie.

It's that bad. Makes Biodome look like Gone With The Wind.

+ Reply to Thread