+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

I just joined blockbuster.com and finally get a chance to catch up on some movies.

Something's Gotta Give: (Nicholson & Keaton) Hysterically funny!

Runaway Jury: (Hackman,Hoffman & Cusack) Gripping, tight writing and direction.

Mystic River: Gonna watch it tonight
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

Like many of you others I am really getting into renting because I signed up for Blockbuster.com(It really is worth the $15 when you include the 2 free game/movie rental coupons). This weekend I saw:

Wimbledon- I really really enjoyed this movie. It is listed as a romantic comedy, but there really isn't much comedy and is more of a romance/sports movie. Paul Beattey is great as Peter Peter Colt and even better when you can see the butt shot. By the end of the movie I was cheering him on like it was actually a real tennis match and not a movie. The tennis in the movie looks realistic to a novice like myself even though I know they used alot of special effects. Kirsten Dunst was okay but alittle too giddy for my tastes. Definiately one of the best romance movies this year.

Manchurian Candidate- I agree with what everyone else has said about the movie and just add that this movie freaked my brothers and I out like I didn't think it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen - Lindsay Lohan sucks.
    Agreed. I won't even rent this due to my hatred of her. :phhht

ETA: oops we rented King Arthur too - I hate to say it but I was bored. I don't care that this was probably a more accurate depiction of actual events - I'll take Camelot in all of it's knightly glory over this movie anyday. It was ok - it dragged some places where it shouldnt have and zoomed by in places where I would have liked to have seen more I wouldn't recommend it.
    I have dearly loved Camelot for years and years (just hearing the music will bring a tear to my eye). Because of this, I was convinced I wasn't going to like King Arthur, but Mr. Rose rented it, so I thought I'd play nice. Turns out, I really liked it....nice surprise....missed the main characters not bursting into song, but thought it was superbly done.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I rented two more today.

Euro Trip: I thought it was funny. I wasn't expecting much so I was pleasantly surprised.

Anchorman: Hilarious. Will Farrell is gold.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahgirl
    Manchurian Candidate- I agree with what everyone else has said about the movie and just add that this movie freaked my brothers and I out like I didn't think it would.
    I saw this yesterday and really liked it -- very fast-paced.
    I also saw "Napoleon Dynamite". Maybe I'm just not smart enough to get it, but ... I didn't really like it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

We rented Elf on Christmas Eve. I really liked it.

Yeah, you should be embarrassed, Mariner! (umm.. I own the darned thing. )

I just watched the most endearing movie on IFC entitled Next Stop, Wonderland. Maybe it's because it mirrors my life to some extent, I'm not sure, but it was hauntingly familiar. It's the story of a woman that gets dumped by her boyfriend (cheery, yes?) Her mother puts an personal ad in the Boston Herald for her and she goes on a series of increasingly awful dates (insert my life here.) Her life is shown parallel to a single man that she is destined to meet. Their lives are intertwined, but...

Writer, I am not, but I highly recommend this movie to all of you that have access to IFC. It's a sad, yet hopeful story told in a melancoly manner that can only truly be found in independent films.

The lead actress, Hope Davis, reminds me of Stargazer's wistful av of herself looking out a window.. gorgeous! Ah.. and there's Philip Seymour Hoffman, to boot.

Rented Anchorman and it was so-so. It did have it's laugh out loud moments but not enough to make me really like it.

Rose and Dux...seriously, put aside the hate for Lindsay Lohan (lord knows I'm no fan of hers either) and see Mean Girls - Tina Fey's screenplay is freakin' brilliant. I'm not embarrassed to say this was one of the best movies I saw in '04.

I caught the last hour of Underworld this weekend - funny because I'd just watched Kate Beckinsale in Van Helsing just an hour before. Crappy movie but she sure can pull off a tight bodysuit while slaying otherworldly creatures.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Broadway....Mr. Rose and I LOVE Philip Seymour Hoffman. For years, we'd say, "there's that guy again", or "who is that guy?" He made such a big impression on us, we finally took the time to learn his name.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Rose and Dux...seriously, put aside the hate for Lindsay Lohan (lord knows I'm no fan of hers either) and see Mean Girls - Tina Fey's screenplay is freakin' brilliant. I'm not embarrassed to say this was one of the best movies I saw in '04.
    Actually, I saw (and liked) Mean Girls....I couldn't believe it when I realized Tina Fey had written it....very good movie for capturing parts of high school. My daughter rented it, or I never would have seen it.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread