+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Taking Lives with Angelina Jolie. I didn't like his film at all. Glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.

Hot Chicks in Generic Thrillers Double Feature

I also just rented Taking Lives, and while I love Angelina Jolie, this movie was so bad, I felt like taking my life 45 minutes into it just to escape from the crushing boredom.

We also watched Godsend, which has Rebecca Romjin-(is it still Stamos?), Greg Kinnear, and Robert DeNiro. If Rebecca R-S is getting top-billing over Bobby DeNiro, it doesn't bode too well, but I still enjoyed this Omen-esque genetic thriller more than Taking Lives.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fan
    I just saw Mean Girls, and I was ready to really hate it, and for some reason, I thought it was funny and I really liked it....it must be Tina Fey. It was kind of like Heather's and Clueless rolled into one.

Oh Taking Lives was terrible, one of the worst movies I've every seen....I love Angelina Jolie too, but if she makes a mistake like that again, I won't forgive her!
    I liked Godsend, I guess it could have been better but overall it was good.

Last week, I rented Det Sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) by Ingmar Bergman. It's a 1959 Swedish movie that raises existential questions.

IMDB Plot Summary:

A Knight and his squire are home from the crusades. Black Death is sweeping their country. As they approach home, Death appears to the knight and tells him it is his time. The knight challenges Death to a chess game for his life. The Knight and Death play as the cultural turmoil envelopes the people around them as they try, in different ways, to deal with the upheaval the plague has caused.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Just saw Jersey Girl and boy was it good. I was going into it not expecting much, but it turned out to be great.

If you ever need a funny, feel good movie, with a couple of tears I highly reccomend it!

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    I rented "Mean Girls" over the weekend. It was alright - it had some funny moments. I don't think I would watch it again though.
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will."

Rented Man On Fire (Denzel Washington) Always like Denzel () but hadn't heard much good press on the movie. Gotta say - good movie - I was impressed and got drawn right in. Id give it 1 1/2
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Taking Lives wasn't that bad. Expect a generic, detective thriller. That's pretty much what it is. I've seen a lot worse. ** stars.

Others I've seen recently.

Last Samurai, ****
    It's no Kurosawa, sure. But I don't think they were trying to duplicate a Kurosawa movie. Some may criticize it for being too Hollywood. But I thought the story was interesting enough, the pacing was good. No issues with the acting. The war scenes are spectacular.

Lawrence of Arabia, *****
    This took two sittings because of the four hour length. Breathtaking pictures of the Sahara desert. The story is very relevant to today. (Think Iraq.) There probably won't be a movie like this (with it's huge production cost, no CGI, authentic locations) made again. Understandable classic.

Moulin Rouge, ***
    Speaking of huge production costs, CGI and non-authentic locations. I really enjoyed this. Maybe because all the hype was gone, I was able to view it with no bias. The musical numbers were a mixed bag for me. "Your Song" and "Roxanne" were great, "Come What May" was cheese. The special effects used to recreate old Paris were incredible.

Grave of the Fireflies (English-dub version), ***
    The English voice acting sucked the emotion right out of this absolutely gut-wrenching tale. I'm making sure to view this again in the original Japanese dub.

Glengarry Glen Ross, ****
    Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino and Alec Baldwin give performances of their careers. It's an absolute joy to watch.
    Last edited by happyblue; 09-28-2004 at 12:56 AM.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture (aka They call her one eye).

The "rare" exploitation film comes to life on dvd from Synapse. It's everything I had heard. It's really not for everyone, and absolutely not for anyone under 18. It's not a fast paced film, but has a couple of really memorable sequences that I cannot discuss openly. One should note that Tarantino had modeled his "Elle Driver" character after the main character of this film.
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

I just rented a movie called Taboo which I thought was supposed to be about some talented fighters who wanted to join a 'ninja army',but instead turned out to be nothing like that at all. (if you think this post is confusing,you should have seen the movie) I still don't know what the hell is was all about. When the credits started to roll,I just sat on my bed staring at the television for about 30 seconds. If anyone has seen it and understands the ending,I'd like to buy a clue!

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

+ Reply to Thread