+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 118

Thread: Fahrenheit 9/11

  1. #71
    Allez les Bleus! Zaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,362
    I disagree with Moore's agenda and I know full well that his editing choices are very misleading. Not only that but I realize that others might be influenced by this misleading editing and the obvious appeals to emotion (that is what this "documentary" truly is for, to get people riled up and angered at "Bush's war"). Knowing all that, I am still glad that this film is being watched, as it gives both sides opportunities to discuss the issues and hopefully debunk the myths.

    As a side note, I keep hearing mentions of the tape of Bush sitting in the classroom for minutes after an agent whispered something to his ear. I have watched it myself and am wondering: how do people know what that man said to Bush? How do we know he said "the nation is under attack"? And if we don't, why is it so easily accepted as fact? As Bill has said, that man might have said anything, maybe even "A plane has crashed into the WTC."
    Last edited by Zaius; 07-05-2004 at 05:52 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

  2. #72
    Not caring is fun! Matt64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,204
    The sad fact is, Michael Moore may be right about a lot of things, but the majority of his work just comes off as Bush-bashing with little basis on anything of substance. Bush sat in a classroom for 7-10 minutes after the first plane struck the WTC.. Bush says stupid things on the gold course.. Bush has a smelly bum.. All of this is really irrelevant to the actual discussion. It's just there to bash Bush, and as much of a Bush hater as I am, I can still recognize this as a smear campaign against him. If Michael Moore really wanted to do a service to the American people, he wouldn't creatively edit newsreels into a movie, but instead actually get to the bottom of the issues that the mainstream media is too wussy to cover.

  3. #73
    I like them silent WomynLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Late to add. I promise now I will leave you to your regularly scheduled praise of the brilliant Michael Moore. I cheated and posted again, and this is my last note on the topic. I just always ask folks to think for themselves and get the facts. Not someone's, including my, version of the facts. Especially not the facts of those who have a clear agenda behind their work.

    Have fun in the thread.
    Bill, it's been fun having you in this thread. Watch the movie and come back soon! The golfing incident, the 7 min. reaction, etc. are some of the examples that are being pointed out by people who haven't watched the movie. Those aren't meant to be perceived as "insightful" or convert material. The media won't dare to print or show what Michael Moore reveals in his "expose"...it's "too controversial." Like I said before, his powerful film will get people from all political sides talking. Whether you agree with him or not, thinking is inevitable. IMO, that is the success of it.

  4. #74
    FORT Newbie HelloCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg
    i don't understand the obsession with michael moore

    and i don't understand why he gets praise for his garbage films...

    if this guy think he can change the world and him or his actor/industry friends think they are smarter than everybody else then THEY should run for president and quit imposing there OPINIONS on the rest of the free world.

    i'm sure since he has all the answers about EVERYTHING and he has such a large supporter fanbase he should have no problem winning.

    i won't be seeing this movie and giving this fat idiot my money...

    just my 2 pennies.
    I am a "Child of Flint" my family was one of the many who suffered when GM turned their backs on us. Michael Moore was the only "Fat Idiot" (to use your description) who gave a damn and shed light on what was happening & why our hometown was crumbling around us. That's why he made Roger & Me (in your words again)a "garbage film". His passion for telling our story was one of the few things we had.

    Regardless of your political leanings or economic status you have to respect that Mr. Moore fires up passion in everyone . Bush supporters are doing their homework and forming eloquent rebuttals to the films points (I'm hoping after they've seen the film & not going on sound-bites). Those against Bush and/or the war are reaffirming their deep belief that things can be better and that they can bring that change.

    In your negative talking about "quit imposing there OPINIONS on the rest of the free world" Isn't that one of the most awesome aspects to living in America? That we CAN have opinions & express them freely? That I can say loudly & proudly "Michal Moore Rocks My World!" and you can say "Michael Moore Bites!" ? I think the fact that Fahrenheit 9/11 (finally) made it to the screen & is kicking some serious booty is the ultimate God Bless America!!

  5. #75
    FORT Regular candyapple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Candyland
    Posts
    87
    I wouldn't walk into a Michael Moore film even if it meant getting shelter from a fire and hail storm while they handed out solid gold bars while announcing who shot Kennedy. He doesn't make me reconsider or question anything execept why would anyone take his work as fact and not check out things for themselves. Much like the hype of the book the Da Vinci code, a bit of real events mixed in with a LOT of fiction and fantasy all strung together to make a point. Fortunately Brown does label his work as Fiction, sadly a lot of people take it all as pure fact. Much like Moore.

  6. #76
    FORT scientist astrogirl_2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nivå, Denmark
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,237
    I saw this movie, and I love Michael Moore. He makes me believe that not all Americans are insane It is not very often I, as a center-to-left wing European, meet Americans who's political views make sense to me.

    I thought the movie was great, and I do not understand why people feel they can critizise a movie they have never seen. Be open-minded and go see it. Even if you disagree with it's conclusions, at least you gave it the benefit of a doubt.

    I read Tom Clancy novels, even though I disagree very much with his political views, because he spins a good yarn. I think Farenheit 9/11 will entertain you even if you disagree with Michael Moores views. That's what great about him, he makes documentaries entertaining and uses humor to get his point across.

  7. #77
    Best game ever... ping007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    I finally saw this yesterday and really liked it. I don't consider myself a Michael Moore fan or someone who takes everything he says as the gospel truth but he does make a lot of good points. Why was it so important to get the Bin Laden family out of the country without allowing investigators to question them? Also the number of connections the Bush family and administration has to the companies that are profiting from the war is scary. I've been hearing about Halliburton and the conspiracy theories since before the war in Afghanistan and I never wanted to believe them, and when we went to war with Iraq over the "WMD's", I was for it. Here we are now and there's no "WMD's", people are dying everyday, and Halliburton is making millions. I believe in coincidence but how many coincidences does it take till we can call it a conspiracy? Or at the very least launch an investigation. Love him or hate him, agree or not, at least Michael Moore has gotten people to think and talk about something more important than who Britney Spears is gonna marry and what color diamond J. Lo has on her ring.

    100%. I highly recommend this film for EVERY American. It's amazing how ignorant the average American is towards this administration, politicals/government, and current events. Believe me, I was one of them.


    This film, although obviously biased agaisnt the current administration, "woke" me up inside. It reminded me of how damn proud I am to be an American. There were so many times during the movie that I wanted to just scream, "and this is our President?", or "I can't believe people actually believe him", etc. Pathetic.


    I just recently registered to vote. Although, I'm 24, this will be the first time I've ever voted. Pathetic as it sounds, I can't wait to vote.
    Last edited by ping007; 07-09-2004 at 12:12 PM.

  8. #78
    FORT Newbie HelloCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by ping007
    :
    I just recently registered to vote. Although, I'm 24, this will be the first time I've ever voted. Pathetic as it sounds, I can't wait to vote.

    That IS NOT pathetic it is TERRIFIC!!







    As I said before, regardless of how you feel about the movie, it does make you FEEL! It dosen't matter what party you registered for, the fact that the film motivated you to register to vote is awsome!

    Welcome to the election much much election junk mail will follow soon

  9. #79
    Watching Jessica ref guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Toon Town, reality threw me out
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    I read Tom Clancy novels, even though I disagree very much with his political views, because he spins a good yarn. I think Farenheit 9/11 will entertain you even if you disagree with Michael Moores views. That's what great about him, he makes documentaries entertaining and uses humor to get his point across.
    I enjoy Clancy novels too. Fiction can be wonderful distraction for all of us, especially F 9/11
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

  10. #80
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by ping007
    :I just recently registered to vote. Although, I'm 24, this will be the first time I've ever voted. Pathetic as it sounds, I can't wait to vote.
    I don't think it's pathetic at all. Congrats!

    Regardless of which way people vote in November, I think the true success of the movie and everything that's taking place around it is that it's getting people to actually think about their convictions. Think about the issues that are important to you and give an honest examination of whether those issues have been met over the last 4 years. There are a number of different websites out there where you can answer a questionnaire about issues and then it will tell you which candidate your answers more closely match up to.

    I only ask that people just don't get their political opinions based upon your friends, from this message board, from Letterman and Leno. Vote your conscience and you cannot go wrong. That's the best thing about being a democracy.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.