+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Fahrenheit 9/11

My hopes for this "documentary" will probably fall a little flat.
    I saw Rodger and Me , Bowling for Columbine as well as his cable show and felt they was a bit to catoonish and skinny on the facts . More personality than anything else. I hope that this one will do a better job.
    The whole controversy about Disney trying to block the release of this film seems a bit contrived to me and when his book Stupid White Men was released there was the controversy about the publisher not wanting to release that also.

FORT Regular

If anyone complains about the biasing....

I find it ironic that on THIS board especially, that people would have some problem with someone taking video clips of REAL LIFE situations and putting them together in order to create a certain type of understanding in the viewers - even though that reordering of clips and music selection may be a bit unfair, misrepresentative, and satirical at times.

Hmm. I wonder, what other type of television does that?

So has anyone else seen this... or just me?

For those that follow politics, you really aren't going to find much new content in Farenheit 9/11. Moore does, however, do a good job of putting most all of the facts together in one concise format... and raises questions that are impossible to ignore.

Be forewarned: there are some graphic, disturbing images from Iraq. I'm not supportive of the way Moore tried to paint that life was happy, cheery in Iraq before the bombing started... I'm certain that it wasn't. It was a far cry, however, from it's current state of being.

They showed scenes from Flint... images of poor families living in rundown, boarded up houses (a scene which is very prevalent in Flint as well as MANY other cities in the US) and showed a man who questioned why nothing has been done to help out his city. His dialogue mirrors my thoughts over the last 3 years... why has our domestic economy been essentially ignored by this administration?? Seeing it on the big screen just angered me all over again.

His "have and have-mores.. I call you my base" comment. :phhht

To have the ties between Bush Sr., Jim Baker, Dubya, the Saudi government, and the Bin Laden family summed up on screen makes you realize that the Bush family and their friends have safely been more responsible for Al Qaeda's wealth than Saddam Hussein could have ever hoped to have been.

Again, none of these facts are anything new. You do need to go in the movie with an open mind as it's understandable that there's an other side (and then the truth) that counteracts many of the scenarios. But the facts alone should be enough to anger anyone except those with blind faith.

And the Moore haters (myself included) will be happy that he isnt as prevalent in this movie as he was in the others.

The movie is a must see. I really would like to see a healthy dialogue started.

Broadway, I haven't seen the movie yet. I am hoping to see it during it's present run so I won't have to wait until it's gone to video before watching.

The ties between the Bush family, the Saudi royalty and the bin ladens have been chronicled before, and you're right, there's really not a lot that seems to be new in this film. And I also agree that Moore puts his own spin on things. I think that's his privilege since he made the movie. It's naive to believe that what we see in movies, documentaries or the news isn't biased in some way or another. I think the purpose of seeing films like these is for us to stop and THINK.

I am a Moore fan. I would be, since I'm a social worker who works with the underprivileged and disabled every day and Moore seems to champion the poor. That said, I don't think anyone should take the movie and swallow all his viewpoints without first asking what the statement of the movie is, and how well he documents his facts, and what facts you as the viewer are aware of that seem to oppose his viewpoint. JMO.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Hey Broadway...I'm going to see this movie tonight and I just wanted to tell you that considering you're not a Moore fan your review and opinions were apprieciated. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with Michael Moore. People either love him or hate him...

Anyhoo, I am a fan and it's a relief that people are seeing this movie and interpreting what they see for themselves...

Not even the almighty "Disney" can put the kabosh on the first ammendment!!
    "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg
    if this guy think he can change the world and him or his actor/industry friends think they are smarter than everybody else then THEY should run for president and quit imposing there OPINIONS on the rest of the free world.
    You seem to indicate a good reason why a film like this can be made, that this is the "free world". Facts can be skewed in any number of ways to produce different "truths", but if anyone wanted to refute this film by making one themselves, they could do so.

What may be overlooked about Moore's films is the human element to them. Many facts were presented in Roger & Me that were against what GM was doing to Flint but were overshadowed by the story of the ordinary citizens of Flint. Seeing families evicted and trying to adjust while many of their neighbors seemed oblivious to their plight is something that cannot be conveyed with simple statistics or sound bites from officials. Giving voice to those actually affected by a decision can either validate that decision or show how ill-advised or hasty it was.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

I disagree with Moore's views but I fully support his right to say whatever he likes in any format he likes. I'll check out the movie sometime this week.

"The best way to criticize a movie is to make another movie." - Jean-Luc Godard

The more exchange of ideas, however subjective they might be, the better.
    Last edited by Zaius; 06-28-2004 at 07:21 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I am SO looking forward to seeing this film. I always thought Tony Blair was a man of integrity until he became Bush's lapdog.

Same here Belfastgirl.

I expected more from him, that was very Thatcher/Major esque.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    I am SO looking forward to seeing this film. I always thought Tony Blair was a man of integrity until he became Bush's lapdog.
    I'm constantly amused at how Tony Blair seems to be like a dog wagging his tail every time Bush says something. I don't get it.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread