+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Fahrenheit 9/11

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I got this off http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040731/325/ezbkn.html

Saudi Royals attack filmmaker Moore

LONDON (Reuters) - Michael Moore got the facts wrong in his controversial film "Fahrenheit 9/11" and did not travel to Saudi Arabia to research his documentary, the Sunday Telegraph has quoted Saudi's ambassador to Britain as saying.

Prince Turki al-Faisal said in an interview the documentary was "grossly unfair" to the Saudis.

Moore's film has earned more than $100 million (55 million pounds) in the United States and become the most successful documentary ever.

Among its claims are that the Bush administration helped Saudi princes and members of Saudi born al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's family fly out of the United States immediately after the September 11 attacks, when air space was closed to all commercial traffic.

But the ambassador, who is half-brother to Crown Prince Abdullah, said the claim had been refuted in a report compiled by the 9/11 commission investigating the attack in Washington.

"It would have been far better if Michael Moore had been able to read the 9/11 report before he made his film. It shows that all the protocols were observed," he told the newspaper.

Prince Turki said Moore was given a visa to travel to Saudi Arabia but never came.

"He missed an important opportunity to find out key facts," he said.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Fort Member
    BorderEevil2
    I agree that scene was what I felt the whole thing was about. His facts may not all be correct and he may not have followed up on everything. But what that mother felt was real. The point her story made was that her son was sent to war against a country that had never been a threat to America for reasons that have turned out to be wrong. It was a pointless waste of her sons life. I wish she had smacked the woman too. Anyway IMO weather it be a movie or a documentary it made me think and it made me cry and it made me angy at my own Government for becomming a part of it.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda
    BorderEevil2
    The point her story made was that her son was sent to war against a country that had never been a threat to America for reasons that have turned out to be wrong. It was a pointless waste of her sons life. I wish she had smacked the woman too.
    During world war II, the United States invaded Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia. Many American Soldiers died in this campbaign, in a country that never hurt the United States, but it was a strategic necessity to be able to get to the German Army, who also never attacked the United States. Strategy and tactics are two different concepts -- we went to Iraq to fight the war on Terror, not to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Michael Moore:

Click here ----> http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/
    Everything you want to know from that person's perspective, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Michael Moore:

Click here ----> http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/
    The kid Mike Wilson thats making that movie is considered a (Republican funded) joke to most of the entertainment industry. The piece they did on him on the Daily Show was classic. They pretty much made a complete fool of the guy, he was whining how Mr. Moore wouldn't return his phone calls while the reporter was fielding "hey what are you doing for lunch?" cell calls from Michael Moore (I think he even walked behind them in the background of a couple shots). The piece ends with whiny-republican-puppet all by himself & cuts to the reporter & Michael Moore dining in a sidewalk cafe

Whats the most ironic thing is that this buffoon rips off Michael Moore's style in making his "documentary". Soooooooooooo...... I guess the movie should be re-titled "Michael Moore Hates America, but I think his documentary style rocks"

Look for his follow up documentaries to Michael Moore Hates America "Linda Rondstat is the Anti-Christ" and "Bill Clinton Kicks Puppies"

If someone is looking for the "other" side of Mike Moore, then I recommend:

www.moorelies.com or www.mooreexposed.com

michaelmoorehatesamerica.com isn't really a site that exposes the inconsistencies of Moore. It is merely a site that previews the movie. The movie isn't so much about Moore himslef, as it is showing the other side of America which Moore often forgets to show.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

From today's WSJ Opinion Journal:

Having already angered science fiction writer Ray Bradbury by plundering the title of his best-selling novel for his own film "Fahrenheit 9/11," Michael Moore is now being accused of doctoring a newspaper headline shown in the film.

Given that every media examination of the 2000 presidential election in Florida found that George W. Bush would have won a statewide recount, Mr. Moore was obviously hard up for headlines that would bolster his claim that the Bush forces had stolen the election. He wound up using one from The Pantagraph, a newspaper in Bloomington, Illinois. In the film a copy of the paper's front page from December 19, 2001 is reproduced with the headline: "Latest Florida recount shows Gore won election."

The only problem is that The Pantagraph's editors say those words didn't run in its December 19 edition, but rather on December 5 and not on the front page. Instead the headline appeared in much smaller type above a letter to the editor, which the paper says reflects "only the opinions of the letter writer."

The falsification of historical evidence here is calculated and blatant, and the paper is understandably demanding an apology. Given Mr. Moore's track record of "hit and run" journalism, however, the paper's editors can expect to wait a long time.

--John Fund
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

That's interesting, Bill, thanks for posting it.
    I finally saw this movie this weekend. I am not a particular fan of either Bush or Michael Moore. I did think the movie raised some interesting questions, but that it would have had more credibility had Moore not taken such a sneering tone toward Bush, especially during some voiceovers. I think he could have made his points better with more facts and less "look at this poor idiot in the White House" slams.
    I was intruiged by the connections between the Bushes and the Saudis regarding oil companies, but I think Moore threw these things out there without completely connecting the dots.
    I wish he'd followed up on why the Saudi embassy has secret service protection.
    And I was taken aback by the assertion that no one in Congress read the Patriot Act before it was passed. I know that most lawmakers do not read most bills. They rely on aides and the bills' sponsors to explain what a bill does. And while I can believe that the Patriot Act was maybe rushed through, and not many congressmen read it thoroughly, I still have trouble believing NO one did, as Moore claims. I'll look it up, but if anyone knows more about that, let me know.
    Anyway, all in all I thought it raised some interesting questions, but Moore makes some leaps to answer some of those questions.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I agree MM raises some interesting questions and that is what I liked about the movie. That is what he does, and is good at, while expecting the viewers to research and connect the dots for themselves. In Bowling for Columbine he does the same thing. He asks in different variants, what can be done to improve the violence in America without ever giving a real solution.

I agree, the "sneering" against Bush was a little over the top, but at the same time he has made it no secret that it's opinionated and how much he hates the Bush administration. As far as the Patriot Act, I found it appalling with just- "not many congressmen read it thoroughly." I may not be a die hard MM fan but I do like the increase in voters and the interest in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by WomynLee
    I've been waiting a long time for this movie. I love Michael Moore's impeccable research and satirical wit.
    Why doesn't Moore share all his "impeccable research" in his mockumentaries---rather than only the parts he wants people to believe/follow? Whatever site you quoted (in the 1st post) incorrectly listed Bill O'Reilly as a "conservative". O'Reilly has stated time and time again that he is "Independent" (He gets viewer e-mail blasting him for being both "conservative" and "liberal"---just goes to show people only see what they want to see).

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I think the purpose of seeing films like these is for us to stop and THINK.
    But in this case, Moore's intent of making the film is to remove the Bush administration. Moore has said that himself. So Moore wants you to THINK---exactly like he does (thus becoming "human cattle"---don't think for yourself, just follow the herd).

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I am a Moore fan. I would be, since I'm a social worker who works with the underprivileged and disabled every day and Moore seems to champion the poor.
    What does Moore know about being poor? He certainly isn't starving.

Quote Originally Posted by brusch
    ...but if anyone wanted to refute this film by making one themselves, they could do so.
    Not necessarily about the film itself, but here's one...

http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    I always thought Tony Blair was a man of integrity until he became Bush's lapdog.
    Yeah, can you believe that both Bush and Blair actually wanted to enforce those U.N. Resolutions?? What nerve!

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Fahrenheit is breaking box office records for a documentary...AND...was the top-selling movie this weekend
    Too bad this isn't a true "documentary".

I wonder how many people (suckers) actually believe this film to be a "documentary".

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    I like Micheal More, and I think most Europeans do, because his political views are much more like European political views than American. There is really nothing extreme about his opinions to me.
    I'd say wanting some Americans to pay 70% in taxes is a bit extreme---at least in a capitalistic country. Perhaps Moore should relocate to Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I love the article posted by Womanlee. It is so Clintonian in nature.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    See, it all comes down to the meaning for the word documentary, which apparently in Moore's case equals slander.
    I think dictionary.com's definition is suitable: 1) Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
    2) Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

Be open-minded and go see it. Even if you disagree with it's conclusions, at least you gave it the benefit of a doubt.
    Why should people go see it? I hate when people tell me I should go see or do something---like "OMG! You have to see The Passion of the Christ". No I don't. The beauty of a free society is that I can choose how to spend my money. I may not have the means to make a film, but I can still make my voice heard with my wallet. I will not put one cent of mine into his pocket. I will not see any film---passed off as a "documentary" that I know is not. What good would seeing the movie do---so I can sit there and say "oh, I read about this part...what's being shown now isn't true, neither is this part....nor this part, etc..".

I think Farenheit 9/11 will entertain you even if you disagree with Michael Moores views. That's what great about him, he makes documentaries entertaining and uses humor to get his point across.
    A documentary doesn't have to entertain you. A documentary doesn't have to make you laugh. A documentary only has to show what's true, which Moore's movies clearly do not.

Quote Originally Posted by ping007
    This film, although obviously biased agaisnt the current administration, "woke" me up inside. It reminded me of how damn proud I am to be an American. There were so many times during the movie that I wanted to just scream, "and this is our President?", or "I can't believe people actually believe him", etc. Pathetic.
    Sounds like you took Moore's bait---hook, line, and sinker, lol. As a proud American, wouldn't you like to think you're willing to do the right thing? Bush did the right thing by enforcing the UN Resolutions. Clinton actually did the right thing too when he ordered attacks on Afghanistan/Iraq, but conveniently only when the Lewinsky story broke.

Keep in mind that Saddam could have prevented the entire war by obeying the UN Resolutions. Saddam admitted to having WMD's and failed to account for those WMD's. The burden of proof was on Saddam to show the WMD's were destroyed---not on Bush to prove the WMD's still existed.

Kerry wants to take a wait-and-see approach---wait for terrorists to attack us, before he's willing to do anything to stop them. Wonderful.

I'm glad you registered to vote. I just hope you make an educated choice and don't base your vote on this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I scored 80 % for some guy named Kucinich?
    Hahahaa....he's a worthless candidate from my hometown. Kucinich is well-known around town as the "boy-mayor who forced Cleveland into default". Kucinich also flip-flops on issues, but not as bad as Kerry (don't think that's possible, lol).

+ Reply to Thread