+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD Bonus Material

FORT Fogey

DVD Bonus Material

What does everyone think of the "bonus material" that comes with DVD's these days - such as deleted scenes, alternate endings, "making of" documentaries etc.

Sometimes I love them - but often times you know exactly "why" certain scenes were clearly cut from the movie.

Also alternate endings sometimes take away from the "magic" and "perfection" of a top of the line movie.

Imagine if some of the great movies of the past had "multiple endings".

And I REALLY dont like the "making of" documentaries. I'm sorry but I dont need to know how hard it was for trillionaire Brad Pitt to buff himself up for "Troy"...or how hard it was for the director to get the right lighting for that crane shot.

I don't really care for them but they don't hurt. I really don't care about the directors commentary and sometimes the deleted scenes can be good, but they are deleted scenes for a reason.

I for one LOVE documentaries. In fact, I just watched the one that's on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. It was better than the feature itself. I had a lot of information on Ed Gein.

Also, there's a documentary on From Dusk Til Dawn called Full Tilt Boogie that's also very well done. Criterion put together the Battle of Brazil, the Terry Gilliam film, about the revisioning that Universal did with his film. I don't care for documentaries are are too fluffy or a glorified EPK.

I forgot to mention the documentary for Hedwig and the Angry Inch, it starts how it began from stage to movie. It's nearly as long as the movie itself and is EXTREMELY informitive. Maybe it's just the pop-culture junkie in me.

Sometimes scenes are deleted strictly for time and are sometimes better than many scenes left in the movie.
    Last edited by weston; 06-04-2004 at 10:33 AM.

Full Tilt Boogie, that one's a classic DVD extra. I'm in Weston's corner, you learn a lot about movies and the people in them on the added footage. I also recommend the Carrie, documentary, Rosemary's Baby stuff, and any of the extras on a Tarantino/Lawrence Bender movies.

I guess you have to REALLY love movies to understand the allure of the "added features".
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Jay
    I generally don't watch all the bonus material. I like to watch how the special effects were made. I don't watch the parts where the director, producer and actors gushingly praise each other. Just once I'd like to see an interview where an actor says so-and-so was rude and arrogant and this movie really sucks but I needed the paycheck.

I forgot to add, the alternate endings I like cos many a time a movie has undergone a screening and the audience didn't like the original ending for a myriad of reasons. I'm personally interested in what the original ending was. Fatal Attraction would have been a much different movie if the ending hadn't been fiddled with.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

HomerRules - you probably would enjoy the Battle of Brazil then. It got so bad, Terry Gilliam put this full page ad in Variety magazine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Generally I don't watch the bonus stuff, but I like little extra comic pieces while the credits are running. I would not say I dislike the bonus stuff, but I don't like most of the movies enough to be interested in how they were made. But, there are selected pieces I would like to know everything available about the movie (for example Lord of The Rings).
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Tirlittan - I assume that you have both LotR boxsets (Fellowship, Two Towers) and soon to have Return of the King box when it comes out?

Not only do you get an extended version of the movie (IMO many of the scenes enhance the viewing experience), you get all the documentary stuff as well!

I am all about the DVD bonus materials! Like Weston, I appreciate when the filmmakers take the time to make sure the extras are really supplemental material--not fluffy publicity crap. In some cases, the extras are better than the movie (case in point, R. Rodriguez's 10 Min. Movie School & Cooking School on the Once Upon a Time in Mexico DVD).

If it's a movie I really love, I have to listen to all the commentaries, watch all the docs, deleted scenes, and of course hunt for Easter Eggs. That's the best part. It's like re-discovering the film you love.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast