+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Horror Genre

Classic Horror Genre

Any of you guys out there like the old classic horror films...Frankenstein..Wolfman. .The Mummy..Dracula. Personally I love'em. I have managed to get quite a collection. For my birthday, my hubby gave me the new Universal Horror Releases on DVD...Frankenstein (5 films), Wolfman (4 films) and Dracula (5 films...including an obscure Spanish version). Let me hear from all you horror fans out there!
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

I love these movies and grew up watching them every week. My father was a local TV Personality and in addition to being the weatherman on a local station he did a lot of local theatre, commercials, talk shows, etc. One of his coolest jobs was as the host of "Horror Theater" which was a Friday night show on near midnight. They showed horror films and had contests and little skits - somewhat like "Elvira Mistress of the Dark" did in the 80s.

I've been pretty disappointed in what passes for horror films nowadays, namely slasher films. Although there've been a few good ones lately.

If you like classic horror you might like "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" which is a spoof of the science-fiction horror films of the 50s (like Plan 9 from Outer Space). I haven't see it but it looks pretty funny and I'm going this weekend to a special showing. The website is at http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/t...etonofcadavra/

Good to hear from you Molly...I'll check out the website. Like you..I also grew up on Friday Nite Frights...or Saturday afternoon at the movies. I also think slasher films are not horror...they are just blood and guts. Give me a good ol' Wolfman film any old day. About the closest I have seen that I truly enjoyed in most recent days..are the latest Mummy films...and "Wolf" with Jack Nicholson. Keep me posted if you see anything of interest.

Jupiter - FYI all the "repackaged" Universal Horror Releases have been released before, but at the price they are asking for now, it's a steal...Now if they'd get off their butt and re-release Creature From the Black Lagoon on DVD...I want it in 3-D darnit!

Are you a fan of any of the Hammer Studio films?

Oh goodness...I've already got the new Universal releases...they are terrific and loaded with lots of extras. The Frankenstein set contains 5 films...Wolfman 4 films and Dracula 5 films. I was disappointed there was no Mummy version...but I think they were focusing on the characters central to "Van Helsing". Yes...I love the Hammer films. I have quite a few of those as well. They are delightfully campy...and pure entertainment! There is actually a web site for Hammer films and here it is:

http://www.hammerfilms.com/

Enjoy!

I have alot of the hammer films already. Anchor Bay is releasing many of them (re-releasing in double feature form now). Paramount have a couple out (with commentaries!) and Warner have at least 6 out.

I know they were doing a promo for Van Helsing, but still...I'd like to see the Universal Horror in full swing again (maybe Halloween)? Hopefully they will do more deluxe packages like the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man.

I agree Weston...I'd love to see a really nice package of the Hammer films released. Hammer films are kind of a cult all their own. I love most of the films...but some of them were way too low budget to even be entertaining. Somehow...that's usually the films that get packaged. Anyways...let's keep an eye out toward Halloween...maybe we can even find some folks to write associated with Hammer who could keep us in the know. What do you think?

I love the low budget stuff though. Most of the Anchor Bay releases are pretty good...many of them are packaged with different "World of Hammer" featurettes. Scars of Dracula has a bonus DVD (Many Faces of Christopher Lee) and Blood from the Mummy's Tomb also includes a bonus DVD (Hammer trailers).
    I also really like the AIP horror films that MGM is releasing as well.

Scars of Dracula? Oh I gotta look for that! I love Christopher Lee. He truly is a treasure. I have heard it said that the Hammer version of Mummy...in which Christopher Lee plays the title role...is one of the best "mummy" films made. I'd agree. I have that one....and never tire of watching it.

You know what..I can say I have never cared for Bela Lugosi's Dracula. I've got that new DVD Dracula set...I don't know...somehow Bela is just so into his role...he misses the mark. For my money...Frank Langella was the best.

What do you think?

I'm a Lugosi fan through-and-through. The Spanish version has alot of atmosphere too (included on that dvd)- they used the same sets...For what it's worth, I still think Max Schreck does a fantastic job as Nosferatu (not quite "dracula" I know, but still a fantastic performance).

I was never a fan of Frank Langella's Dracula. Don't know why, maybe the same reason you don't like Bela or maybe it feels more dated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast