+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tired Movie Cliches That Drive You Nuts

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    The only movie I can think of where the star really went from ugly to pretty was My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Dont forget "The Girl Most Likely To" a sort of obscure (but excellent) 70's movie starring Stockard Channing.

In that movie she went from butt ugly to gorgeous via platic surgery. The charecter had to have the surgery because of injuries sustained in a cruel hoax played upon her by the "beautiful ones" - ah but alas our heroine exacted her revenge in very interesting (and deadly) ways...

Maybe this isn't a' Movie' cliche in the classical sense,but I find it to be a cliche,I call it "The Tom Cruise Cliche", in which no matter what movie he does he's always the best of the best or the most celebrated, heroic and most respected ie' A few good Men,Top Flight ,Last Samuari,the Firm,Days of Thunder(Blunder), Mission Impossibe .......and he's so ultra chic.
    A stretch maybe but very cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    But, this was important to the plot line in the Terminator. If Sarah and Kyle hadn't done the horizontal bop John would never be so he couldn't send Kyle back to make sure John could be. Then we wouldn't be able to have the Terminator movies. It would be really boring watching Sarah go to work every day. That hurt just typing let alone thinking about.
    Yeah, I know. I hope you've gotten over your pain. It has to do with the timing of the act, not why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Dont forget "The Girl Most Likely To" a sort of obscure (but excellent) 70's movie starring Stockard Channing.

In that movie she went from butt ugly to gorgeous via platic surgery. The charecter had to have the surgery because of injuries sustained in a cruel hoax played upon her by the "beautiful ones" - ah but alas our heroine exacted her revenge in very interesting (and deadly) ways...
    I think there was also a TV movie where a rich girl who shared race horses with hubby. He set her up, she went to prison and got slashed. Then she got plastic surgery and I guess she also decided to exercise. She looked beautiful and later got revenge on her husband.

The girl taking a shower in a horror or slasher movie. Can't they hear the scary music over the water telling them to run for their lives?!

FORT Fogey

And its always the beautiful young girl who gets murdered in the shower (which of course presents an opportunity for gratuitious nudity, so I aint complainin' )

Could you imagine a movie with a scene of an obese, bald man with a pimply back getting axed in the shower? not bloody likely.

Any role of the long suffering woman who sticks by her man no matter what for whatever reason. The Good Earth, etc.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Any role of the long suffering woman who sticks by her man no matter what for whatever reason. The Good Earth, etc.
    An interesting sidebar to that scenario - and maybe this is indicative of the fact that men pretty much control the movie industry - is that, have you ever noticed that in a movie where a man cheats on his wife, the focus of the film soon shifts away from his guilt and focuses squarely on the phsyco woman he cheated with? She is the villian who did the bad thing, not him.

Soon the whole movie is about the husband and his forgiving wife battling the phsyco and the fact that his indiscrestions are what started the whole thing in the first place pretty much fall by the wayside. "Yeah, you were fine to use and abuse as a quick roll in the hay, but stay away from me, my wife and my happy little suburban family or its going to be too bad for you"

But yet you have a movie where a woman cheats - like "Unfaithfull" and the movie never lets you forget that this was all her fault. Even the ending where Richard Gere turns himself in to the cops has a whole "See what you caused?" sort of edge to it. "You betrayed me and our son and now a man is dead and I am going to prison all because you wanted to have an 'International Coffee' moment with Jean Luc"

Not fair.

A Walk on the Moon was like that too, Daddio.

I hate how kids' movies are so emotionally wrenching. I can't take it. Examples: Bambi, Black Beauty, Fox and the Hound, Old Yeller.

Lord, I cried buckets at Black Beauty.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    .....I hate how kids' movies are so emotionally wrenching. I can't take it. Examples: Bambi, Black Beauty, Fox and the Hound, Old Yeller.

Lord, I cried buckets at Black Beauty.
    Have you ever seen The Yearling? sniff, sniff Flaaaag, sniff, sniff.

+ Reply to Thread