+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tired Movie Cliches That Drive You Nuts

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    on the ex's, Wolf. :rolleyes

When someone is about to get away from the killer by jumping in their car and the engine won't start. The engine has to turn over and over several times...and of course after all that it magcially starts just when the killer is about to slam through the window. :rolleyes
    And after they say "C'mon, c'mon baby, start for momma/daddy" and pound on the steering wheel.

how about cars in movies and tv never having a rear view mirror - unless it enters the picture as a plot element so that the heroine can see the killer hiding in the back seat? funny she didnt see that 7 foot tall guy with the machette and hockey mask when she got into the car and the light came on.

cars in movies also always have that mysterious glowing light coming up off of the floor boards to illuminate the heroes faces.

when someone in a movie is being chased and rammed by a car they always try to either speed up or bang into their pursuer. why not just slow down or stop and let them pass and then turn around and go the other direction? with as fast as they are going it will take them 5 minutes to stop and turn around and chase you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    when someone in a movie is being chased and rammed by a car they always try to either speed up or bang into their pursuer. why not just slow down or stop and let them pass and then turn around and go the other direction? with as fast as they are going it will take them 5 minutes to stop and turn around and chase you again.
    That is so true! I hate that.

What about the way no one has peripheral vision in movies. Someone will be say something revealing (perhaps talking to themselves, holding a treasured childhood toy or a signed baseball or something) and when someone speaks from the doorway, they're surprised. If someone's standing three feet to my left I know they're there even if I'm looking down, thank you very much!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Just remembered this one - I'll spare you the title of the movie to attempt to not ruin it for you but...

Mr semibig name actor or mr big name actor in what seems to be a bit part but ends up being the killer.

thank you casting director and producers and director for giving away the plot - I appreciate that sooooooo much. grrrrrrrrr

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    The pretty most popular girl in school is always the meanest and nastiest while the nerdy, shy girl with the golden heart is always a beauty that just needed a makeover.

Whenever someone is desperately trying to catch a cab the first one never stops, it's always the 2nd or 3rd.

When the bad guy has the hero dead in his sights the gun jams right then.

Whenever a couple gets caught out in the rain they always happen upon a cozy deserted farm house or barn where they can stay dry...and make love.

Everyone in movies uses an Apple laptop, always Apple, even though most of the world uses Windows machines.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    Everyone in movies uses an Apple laptop, always Apple, even though most of the world uses Windows machines.
    That is soooooo true EXlurker and a brutally obvious example of $$$product placement$$$

Its my understanding that is sort of an unwritten rule in TV and movies to use Apple computers - mainly because the brand name is immediately recognizable and therefore can generate product placement revenue. There is no mistaking that apple with the bite out of it.

Windows PC brand names dont jump right off of the screen at you and therefore the manufacturers are less likely to want to cough up any ca$h for their goods to appear on screen.

If we all knew just how many products are conveniently placed here and there in movie and TV shots for the $ake of a buck - we'd go mad.

In just about every horror or action movie the back guy dies first. If not first then it's a Will Smith movie.

Or the wandering good looking action hero who is wounded ,then is found or helped by a little boy.
    The little boy brings the 'hero' home to his stunningly attractive mother who happens to be a widower and hasn't had a man for years .
    Of course then there's the villian who's the most powerful man in town ;as well as the most heideously vial man anyone has ever seen who's been spurned by her time after time after time sooooo,now he's mad and he's ...he's.... he's gonna take her farm,her house, kill her dog, ruin her credit,tell everybody in town she's a no good whore and give her a bad, bad reputation, etc etc etc.
    But then we forgot about the good looking wandering hero who's tired of being on the road and would love to jus' settle down so he kicks %$# and takes names and you know the rest. The end
    Last edited by fit_chick5; 06-04-2004 at 12:25 PM.

I still love this thread!

How about?

1) A person is dying but has a vitally important piece of information to share. Does he just blurt it out? No. He says, "The....gasp......code.....to gasp...secret.....bomb....gasp !..is.....is....." Person dies. Hereo either shakes the dead person in disbelief or solemnly closes the eyes.

2) Anyone can get at least a 10-1 kill ration against heavily armed, trained fighters.

* Tangent - I think the worst fighters in history were the Stormtroopers (how do you tell someone you lost to little bear-like creatures running around with sticks going "Yetahhh!")

3) Big tough guy hero just kiled 10 adversaries listed in 2) above. After fight, girlfriend/love interest tends to him with peroxide, with a warning of, "this might sting a little."

4) Lawyers never have a single file in their offices. Instead, they have expensive paintings, a sofa, a spare suit, and a bottle of stotch. Trust me, this is not true.

Eric

How about the dufus looking overweight man with male pattern baldness who has the supermodel wife/girlfriend .The dufus looking man doesn't even have to have any money all he has to have is a charming personality.
    And I love it when that's all it takes for him to beat out the chisled good looking hunk who of course is a shallow jerk who's overly materialistic and just doesn't pay enough attention to her So dufus swoops in , makes her laugh and thet live happily ever after.

Though we never see a dufus overweight woman(with male pattern baldness)who has a a charming personality hook up with the male supermodel.

Or the 75 year old man with the 20 something supermodal..... wait that's not a cliche' that's reality----my bad

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fit_chick5
    Or the 75 year old man with the 20 something supermodal..... wait that's not a cliche' that's reality----my bad

MadTV did a GREAT skit one time about a geriatric, bald, flatulant and beer bellied Sean Connery filming a movie with a 20 something supermodel and she got too grossed out to do any of the love scenes. Everytime they were in bed he would let loose with a real ripper fart, fall asleep or have his dentures slip

Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    The pretty most popular girl in school is always the meanest and nastiest while the nerdy, shy girl with the golden heart is always a beauty that just needed a makeover.
    Not to mention we're supposed to pretend the shy girl is horrendously ugly because she has a bad haircut and wears jeans and sweatshirts.

The only movie I can think of where the star really went from ugly to pretty was My Big Fat Greek Wedding. On the other hand, was Sandra Bullock really a dog before she had to priss up for Miss Congeniality? Of course not.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread