+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst Movies by Entertainment Weekly

Well, not surprisingly, I haven't seen any of these movies. Over the years, though, I've found that I really trust Owen Gleiberman. Critics rarely match your tastes even at a 90% clip, but Gleiberman has matched mine at right around that pace, I'd say. I've read his reviews for years, and, unlike other windbag movie critics I know of, he doesn't appear to be in the business of impressing people with his cleverness. He really does seem to have an interest in the movies he watches, and he's very honest in his appraisal of them. I think he's a good egg, personally.

That being said, he's capable of screwing up 10% of the time.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I think his assessment of MBFGW is one of the 10% then Paulie.
    This certainly seems like a case of "look how much cleverer I am than all of you peons" :rolleyes
    "That's Numberwang!"

He must have missed the boat on MBFGW, then, Paulie. I haven't seen it yet, but like Sher, we plan to get the DVD as soon as it comes out.

FORT Fogey
    I've only seen two of those - Ya-Ya (which was a horrible wannabe Joy Luck Club or How to Make an American Quilt) and A Walk to Remember, which I loved (I don't understand how it could possibly be on this list)...

Originally posted by fluff
    I think it's always fashionable for critics to bash the movies that are popular with the public.
    The guy that criticised MBFGW,is probably still congratulating himself because he is so much cleverer than the rest of us and was able to see all the many flaws in the movie.
    Whatever :rolleyes
    I agree, fluff. That movie was just comedy, and didn't have to be taken at any deeper level. I went to that movie with my parents and laughed my head off (along with everyone else in the theater) and had a great time. It's good to have a movie that you can go see in "mixed company" and not be totally embarrassed!

And for the record, I loved "A Walk to Remember," too. It was a very powerful movie, showing someone going against the grain to stand up for one's convictions (whatever they may be). It's very hard to go against the in-crowd and be ostracized. Peer pressure can be excruciating. It created a lot of good conversation with my family, as well as my friends, afterward.

I'm with you, Anna, Mantenna and firegirl. How could she put A Walk To Remember on the list? It's about time they make a wholesome movie with good values. AWTR does just that and is entertaining as well.

Blah. Goes to show what she knows. I mean, Crossroads wasn't in her list.

Don't worry Holly, I enjoyed Vin Diesel XXX too.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Vin Diesel, yum. Terrible actor, nice to look at!

I liked Ya-Ya and loved MBFGW, and own both the DVD's. I also liked AWTR even though the acting was poor, and Snow Dogs was a cute little movie, not awesome, but cute. These don't deserve to be on a worst movies list.

Well, I'll just say that I can think of a few that deserve it more than these.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I've watched the A Walk To Remember and Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I loved both. I don't think its the worst movie of 2002.

I've seen trailers of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and I'm planning to get the vcd when it comes out. I thought it was nice.

What's with the critics?

However for AWTR, the novel is so much nicer than the movie, I guess. Much more believable and sweet.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I enjoyed MBFGW too except sometimes movies like that bother me where one person tries to "change" the other (where Toula changes her husband). I saw pieces of Snow Dogs and it annoyed me, probably because I have a Siberian Husky and now everyone calls her a "Snow Dog". (she is very pretty, I should post a picture of her in the pets thread)
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12