+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahgirl
    I prefer the first 2 to this one. I also felt it was very rushed and at there was not nearly as much magic as I would have liked. Do we know who is directing the next one. I know Curaon isn't.

Curaon was offered to do Goblet but declined. Director Mike Newell who did my personal fave Four Weddings & A Funeral (according to imdb) is the NEW director.

I'm trying to think what they left out (Possible Spoliers)

My wife and I were trying to figure out what was left out, without resorting to re-reading the book. We saw the movie on Sunday.

Is the "Prisioner" the book were Hermionie knits all the "save the house elf" clothes and stuff? If so, that was a plotline that was cut. I thought Dobby was in this book but if he was, I cannot fault the new director for cutting him. I found him extremely annoying in the Chamber of Secrets.

What else was cut? Does anyone remember? (or care?)

Eric
    Last edited by sher; 06-07-2004 at 02:18 PM.

i saw this movie on sunday at 10am at the IMAX. amazing! amazing!! i loved this movie far more than the first two, which i also really liked. visually, to me, i didn't see the director as copying sets from other directors - i thought his vision of the world around hogswart was just perfect.

and from the first i heard of emma thompson and gary oldman being cast, i was thrilled. and i thought they were perfect in their roles. oldman is a chameleon with his characters, so i know he can look grungy and worn or attractive. i loved him. also, lupin was my favorite character. i actually was not familiar with the actor, but felt he was great in this role.

Quote Originally Posted by sleuth
    ....Of course I have intentionally avoided rereading the book so as to not remind myself of details because if I did - I'd nitpick to death.
    same here, sleuth. i will pick a movie apart if i've just finished the book. after freshly reading something, it never fails that i'm disappointed.

someone in the previous 3 pages said that they had read or felt that daniel radcliffe was the biggest limitation in this film. i think daniel is a really good actor, improving with each movie, as are the other 2 leads. the only thing i've missed in all three of the films is that they don't focus enough on ron's twin brothers. they have some incredibly funny roles in the book, but i understand there's not enough time to develop every character in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    My wife and I were trying to figure out what was left out, without resorting to re-reading the book. We saw the movie on Sunday.

Is the "Prisioner" the book were Hermionie knits all the "save the house elf" clothes and stuff? If so, that was a plotline that was cut. I thought Dobby was in this book but if he was, I cannot fault the new director for cutting him. I found him extremely annoying in the Chamber of Secrets.

What else was cut? Does anyone remember? (or care?)

Eric

The house elf stuff is in GOF.

In the movie they didnt say who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs were. They cut out alot of Quidditch out.
    And some things were in a different order like Harry getting the Firebolt.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    i saw this movie on sunday at 10am at the IMAX. amazing! amazing!! i loved this movie far more than the first two, which i also really liked. visually, to me, i didn't see the director as copying sets from other directors - i thought his vision of the world around hogswart was just perfect.
    How was seeing this movie on IMAX? I thought IMAX was for 3D movies only. Haven't seen the movie yet but wanted to know if the IMAX version difference was worth it. Thnx.

Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    How was seeing this movie on IMAX? I thought IMAX was for 3D movies only. Haven't seen the movie yet but wanted to know if the IMAX version difference was worth it. Thnx.
    Movies shown via IMAX are usually the BLOCKBSUTERS that has a lot of action sequences and or visuals that will really give you the ultimate movie experience. Actually going to a IMAX showing is gonna cost you a couple of bucks. The only one that I have been to was Fantasia 2000...

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Thanks Border, yeah I was wondering why it cost almost five bucks more. Thanks!

yeah, the tix were 11 bucks each, but the screen was enormous and crystal clear! i definitely thought it was worth it, but you have to look at it this way - i see very few movies in the theater, so when one comes up that i want to see really badly, i'm willing to pay the extra money to see it in the best way possible.

another good thing about imax... a lot fewer ppl in the theater and most parents won't pay the extra money to take their kids with them to it when they can just take them to see it normally. the youngest kid i saw in the imax was probably 8 or 9, and well behaved.

Wow, I'm surprised to read that several people agree with me in that the movie was definitely not the best of the three! I am a purist, though, and was disappointed in the slashing of the storyline. Like someone said, if I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't even know what was going on!

I, too, was disappointed in the lack of magic and Quiddich (book 3 was the only time the season actually finished and the Cup was awarded!! they cut that out!) The explanation of the identities of Padfoot, Wormtail, Moony and Prongs would have only taken minutes, but for some reason was omitted. I just about groaned out loud when they 'titanic-ed' the scene with Harry on the Hippogriff. Blech!

But yes, the scenery, effects and costumes (the dementors especially) were very well done and I will be buying the DVD when it comes out!

kanapalimolly! Welcome to the FoRT . . . that was a great first post. Hope you enjoy yourself around here!

I saw this movie last night, and I really enjoyed it! Definitely a very different feel with the new director, and change is not necessarily a bad thing. I absolutely loved all the location shots and scenery that was worked into this film. Some of it was absolutely beautiful, and it added a lot more dimension into Hogwarts.

I thought the acting was all great. I didn't have any problems with "Harry's" acting . . . it's not as if he was like Hayden Christiansen in the last "Star Wars" flick. I thought Gary Oldam was brilliant, too. In retrospect, when I first heard he was playing Sirius, I thought it was a different choice than I would have picked, but it actually makes a lot of sense. If a man's been in prison for twelve years, he isn't going to be tall, dark and handsome when he first gets out.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 06-07-2004 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread