+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3885448;
    That's really why I re-joined recently after a five year lapse. I don't use Netflix for new releases at all. I use it more for things that just aren't released in my area--especially documentaries or indie films. If it's a "must see" wide release, I'm going to hit the theater, even if it's the cheap $5 Sunday morning matinee.
    That's the main reason I joined. I live in a fairly big city, but there are still films that don't get released here or are only here for a week. I've seen all kinds of things I never would have seen and that aren't available at the local Blockbuster.

I do get new releases through Netflix too, but I don't mind having to wait. If I really wanted to see a movie that badly, I would have seen it in the theater.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I find that I don't have to wait that long for Netflix new releases and their turnaround time is still good. I do have a Blockbuster account also and I put some of my new releases that are delayed on Netflix in the Blockbuster queue. Whichever comes first, comes first.

I love Netflix streaming at no extra charge. I use it for a lot of tv shows I missed the first time around, or want to catch up on, or some British shows I can see only on there. I even use it for specific episodes I want to see again.

I will most definitely NOT be coerced by the entertainment industry into buying DVD's I don't want to see multiple times or into paying for on demand viewing. All this policy will do is convince me to rent and burn, something I haven't done before.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

We have been very pleased with Netflix. It became the option of choice when Blockbuster closed all their stores in our area.

We have the two movies a month option. We've not encountered any of the problems referred to above. Totally happy with it. The best part is not having to return movies in two days, especially in bad weather.

Love, love, love Netflix!! IMO, best $9 I spend all month. I love being able to watch instantly, and just got the disc so I can download to the TV through our Wii. I really enjoy being able to check out movies I wouldn't ordinarily get to see. I watched a couple of Spanish horror flicks this weekend - "Shiver" and "The Orphanage" (really spooky!!) - and an amazing documentary called "Dear Zachary." No way would I have seen any of these without the ease of just scrolling through, finding something the piques my interest, and clicking! We just have the "one out at a time" option, but I find with all the stuff we can watch instantly, we don't miss not having more at once. And when we do get DVD's in the mail, the turn around is really fast. Best of all, no late fees! And as one who has never gone to rent a DVD and not had to pay a late fee first, that's priceless
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Totally addicted to instant netflix! Watching Amelia right now.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Well, after today, I'll bet there are more people in the "hate it" column:
    Netflix hikes prices for DVDs + streaming

By Julianne Pepitone @CNNMoneyTech July 12, 2011: 5:43 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Netflix is launching new, unlimited DVD-only plans in the U.S. -- but as a part of that move, it's scrapping unlimited plans that include both physical DVDs and online streaming.

Subscription movie rental service Netflix (NFLX) said Tuesday that the changes are meant to "better reflect the costs" of each option. The changes cut prices slightly for customers who only want DVDs, but streaming video will now cost extra. Customers who want both options will essentially have to pay for two plans, raising their overall bill.

Netflix's unlimited streaming-only plan will remain at $7.99 a month, while its "1 DVD at a time" plan will also cost $7.99. That means customers who want both streaming and DVDs will have to shell out at least $15.98 a month.

That's a big jump from the $9.99 a month customers currently pay for a plan that offers unlimited streaming plus 1 DVD at a time.

The changes will be effective immediately for new customers and will take effect September 1 for existing members, Netflix said.

The move comes as Netflix continues to shift its focus toward online streaming video -- an option that, while popular, costs Netflix loads of cash as studios start commanding higher prices for their content.

Netflix's announcement sparked an immediate and loud backlash from customers. By Tuesday afternoon, more than 3,000 comments filled the Netflix blog post announcing the changes -- most overwhelmingly negative. Hundreds of commenters said they would cancel their plan, some in favor of rival streaming offerings from Hulu and Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500).

Others planned to stock up on DVDs from rental kiosk Redbox (owned by Coinstar (CSTR)), which said earlier this year that it is working on its own streaming service to take on Netflix.

"The only way that this is terrific for the customer is if you plan to offer your entire collection available for streaming," one respondent wrote on Netflix's blog. "Otherwise this is just yet another way to choke more change out of your customers."

"You've decided to raise customer rates during a period of economic downturn, when people are struggling to pay for basic necessities," another customer wrote. "You're forcing me to pay more for products and services I've paid for loyally for quite a while now. You're really, REALLY making me reconsider this business relationship."

Netflix first introduced streaming plans in 2007. Since then, the service's membership has climbed from 6 million to 23 million in the U.S. To top of page
    Netflix hikes prices for plans with DVDs + streaming - Jul. 12, 2011

I've already had a tough time justifying my Netflix subscription on my budget, but this may push me over the edge. I can't believe they would pull something like this in such a horrible economy. Nice way to show appreciation for your customers, huh?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So how the heck do I know how much I'm going to have to pay now? After the last hike I already downgraded to 2 DVDs at a time, and that seems like yesterday!!!
    I guess I'll have to go look around on their website or something. I love the Netflix service, but they are not doing much for customers that have been loyal to them for years. This is enough to make me start investigating my alternatives.

ETA: I checked my account and it looks like 2 DVDs plus unlimited streaming is currently $14.99 (+ tax) and it is going up $19.98 (+ tax). So basically I have to go back to paying what I used to pay for 3 DVDs plus streaming. This stinks.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-13-2011 at 11:36 AM.

We had Netflix for years then they raised their rates and we dropped them, we just went back to them two months ago because we are drastically cutting down our cable and decided that it was cheaper to do the streaming thing.

THEN...the cable and phone companies announce that they are setting bandwidth limits and charging out the nose for those who exceed it.

THEN....Netflix makes this announcement.

Coincidence? I think not.

So we've decided that we are just going to do without, call it our own personal protest. If it's not on standard cable, then we just won't be seeing it. If enough people do this, then perhaps they will get a clue.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

based on my friends' posts all over the net, it appears that i'm in a minority, as i will just adjust my membership. i'm disabled and retired and do not get out nor do i subscribe to premium movie channels, so netflix is really my only source of entertainment other than the internet and listening to the tv. i also just purchased a streaming apparatus for my bedroom so that i can watch netflix in there, since i can't see it on the living room because of my vision issues. so yes, i'm keeping netflix. i'll just reduce my 2 dvd membership to 1. *sigh*

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I adjusted by canceling the streaming portion, which I rarely used . . . and can order DVDs for stuff I have been streaming. Now, would anyone like to buy a slightly used Wii that I purchased specifically for streaming last year?

+ Reply to Thread